By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - January 2018 NPD Thread! Switch #1

zorg1000 said:
Lawlight said:
Assuming the PS4 Pro accounts for 20% of PS4 sales, then the average price per PS4 sold is $320. If x the number of PS4s sold, we get:

x < y < (16/15)x, where y is the number of Switches sold.

So, PS4 sold roughly 93.75% of the Switch's sales numbers.

Wasnt there also a $450 Monster Hunter bundle?

I remember that pro bundle was the best selling product in Gamestop. 

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
zorg1000 said:

Wasnt there also a $450 Monster Hunter bundle?

Can't see it in the Top 100 for January on Amazon so not sure if it was released outside of Japan.

Yes it did.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Megiddo said:

So Switch sold the most units and PS4 made the most money according to that VentureBeat article. Good to see all 3 systems are healthy in the US.

Sony are the real winners here. They must be delighted with their intake of revenue.

Carl2291 said:

You'd think with both Monster Hunter and Dragon Ball releasing to some pretty big numbers and hype, PS4 would be ahead of the competition.

Maybe the wheels are starting to fall off in America now it actually has some good competition.

Edited to be more clear.

Wheels falling off ps4? So it's in fact the ps4 thats falling off a cliff not the switch. 

Nuvendil said:
For those wondering how the PS4 could be higher in revenue but lower in sales, it had bundles that drove the price up, the PS4 Pro is higher than the Switch, the PS4 Pro MHW bundle is $450. All that adds to the revenue. Switch had only 2 skus on the market priced at $300.

Also, no, MHW and DBFZ are not major system sellers. They were mild ones. But that was more than the Switch had. None.

And no one is saying PS4 numbers are unimpressive. Just that the Switch is doing well, so let's not kick up a fuss over this.

Honestly, after all the "will Amazon's accuracy hold?! IS IT RELIABLE?!" drama build up these past several days, this is quite the anticlimax. Can't wait to do it all over again next month.

The point about amazon is it suggeeted a much bigger win for Switch. Its switch biased for sure..

Acevil said:
Zones said:

He actually said it would sell one million less than in 2017.

It was clarified by him what he meant in that very same topic, so obsessing over that specific term like some of you continuously do seems to be quite fruitless at this point.

So he is allowed to completely ruin threads, and change his definitions later, and we are supposed to be okay with it? Also, I do not remember him mentioning 1 million less than in 2017 in November NPD thread. If you can provide it for me, please do. 

Or maybe you could not respond to him and get wound up. This reminds me of the days when people used to quote everything I said. 

Teeqoz said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

3DS had is best December since 2014 last year, with January 2017 being a 5 weeks month, of course January sales were gonna be good.

In 2018 3DS is gonna drop no matter what, but for the firsts months it will be fine.

I hope you are right, for our sake. If I remember correctly, you also agreed that the 3DS should decrease pretty rapidly in 2018.

EDIT: By the way I technically still haven't lost our Splatoon bet that we made ages ago

I don't remember my exactly prediction for 3DS 2018. Did i said i expected a rapidly drop? If so i probabily misswrited that, by the way i expect a moderate constant drop for the next months, not a big drop a particular time where sales collapse. Considering the trend, this is probabily gonna be the case, in others cases sales would be already irrelevant.

EDIT: I rememb that one too and will be way closer than i thought it would be not gonna lie xD that said, if you remember correctly, we decided to cancell this bet because it was looking too good for me, and i agreed with that. A shame since right now there are only 80,000 to go, it is gonna be an hell of a fight.

Kyuu said:
* Great month to all platforms.... minus the living dead.

* Alkbideas pretends "Street Fighter V Arcade Edition" is a system seller but nobody calls him out because he ain't Quickrick!

* To Amazon warriors (and I'm not one), the moral victory seems to go to Xbox after a very misleading Switch domination on Amazon. PS4 comes second because it should have had the higher benefit from MHW and DBFZ. Though this assumes the sales difference to be marginal as implied (20-50~k)

* Some users excused the minor hardware boost for Switch Octobor numbers saying "Odyssey came at the month's end"... When did MHW and DBZF release again? and are they exclusive?

* Pretty bad results for Skyrim, Xenoblade, and Doom (below Pokken)

well we have a mod say, ps4 wheels are falling off when it basically  sold  as much as the switch in it's 5th year, nobody called him out, but because i said switch falling of a cliff and clarified right after, i still have people trying to crucify me lol.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

3DS had is best December since 2014 last year, with January 2017 being a 5 weeks month, of course January sales were gonna be good.

In 2018 3DS is gonna drop no matter what, but for the firsts months it will be fine.

Btw, do you still think that the Switch will have a much bigger market share than 40% in 2018 in the US? And do you think you 104k gap between the PS4 and Switch in January is accurate? Or you 174k gap between the Switch and the X1 for that matter?

I don't get why you are so interesting in my January prediction, numbers are not even out yet. But anyway:

A) If PS4 is first in revenue there is no way PS4 is that much under Switch, same goes for XB1. That said, you should look at the gap but numbers in general, so far i don't think my numbers will be much off, probabily just add a few 20-30k to PS4/XB1, and Switch could be right.

2) Yes Switch will still get way more than 40% marketshare. (just to be clear, to me 45% is already way more, because 5% of +10 million units hardware is +500K units. I expected something between 45 and 50% marketshare, probabily closer to 45%)

Do we even know who came in 2nd or 3rd?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Competitive in the US as always. But anyways having a "Best Jan NPD since/ever" doesn't matter since you know 5 weeks vs 4 weeks. But it does help with HW sales.

Speaking of 5 weeks, what are the days tracked? Was it part of December or February?

Kyuu said:

* Some users excused the minor hardware boost for Switch Octobor numbers saying "Odyssey came at the month's end"... When did MHW and DBZF release again? and are they exclusive?

* Mario Odyssey had 1 week of sales, Dragon Ball and Monster Hunter had 2, and we all know Mario legs are stronger than those games

* WTF does this even mean? You do realize Pokkén did pretty good, you do? Instead of that you could analize the fact that Skyrim and Xenoblade are above ARMS, which also did good, and DOOM is already impressive for still being in the TOP 10 considering no one expected a lot from a year old port

quickrick said:
Kyuu said:
* Great month to all platforms.... minus the living dead.

* Alkbideas pretends "Street Fighter V Arcade Edition" is a system seller but nobody calls him out because he ain't Quickrick!

* To Amazon warriors (and I'm not one), the moral victory seems to go to Xbox after a very misleading Switch domination on Amazon. PS4 comes second because it should have had the higher benefit from MHW and DBFZ. Though this assumes the sales difference to be marginal as implied (20-50~k)

well we have a mod say, ps4 wheels are falling off when it basically  sold  as much as the switch in it's 5th year, nobody called him out, but because i said switch falling of a cliff and clarified right after, i still have people trying to crucify me lol.

You are a liar, you did not clarify right away.

You said it would fall off a cliff in multiple threads over the course of multiple weeks before coming up with a bullshit copout when people constantly called you out on it.

You have turned yourself into a meme.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.