By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is the NINTENDO switch selling so WELL?

quickrick said:
bonzobanana said:

Completely dominated seems inaccurate to say the least with the PSP selling over 80 million which is close to ps3 and 360 numbers.  Also with well over a billion smart phones sold a year with a very high percentage of users playing games on them, most portable gaming is on android or ios. I guess Nintendo platforms are a premium niche in portable gaming. You see some android games with 100s of millions of installs on the google playstore. Angry birds etc and you get the same game as both full or free listed on google playstore and sometimes updated different versions plus you have other apk stores like amazon and piracy where people download the full versions of apk without paying.  God knows how many people have actually played angry birds in total for example. I would of thought only android could make any serious claim to dominate portable gaming although that would be casual gaming mostly. However a part of those android installs would be set top boxes and maybe android tv's but surely in the  minority compared to phones and tablets. Just looking at super mario run on the playstore its between 100 million and  1/2 billion installs. 1/2 billion installs  is not something Zelda BOTW will be getting anytime soon and just one of 100s of games in that catagory. Can't even dismiss android as casual only nowadays there are many android games with very impressive graphics engines close or exceeding ps3/360 level.

No it's pretty accurate. psp sold 80 million, but DS sold nearly double the amount, then 3ds vs vita well we know the out come of that.

Yes we know, 3DS will end up around 2 time lower than DS numbers, while Vita around 5x lower than PSP, 3DS will end up around 75-80 m which is still quite good number and success.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
quickrick said:

No it's pretty accurate. psp sold 80 million, but DS sold nearly double the amount, then 3ds vs vita well we know the out come of that.

Yes we know, 3DS will end up around 2 time lower than DS numbers, while Vita around 5x lower than PSP, 3DS will end up around 75-80 m which is still quite good number and success.

yea, my point was 3ds destroyed vita in sales.

Azuren said:

Combined handheld/console interest. A hybrid turned out to be a really good idea. Hopefully Sony and Microsoft follow suit again like they did with Move and Kinect in Gen 7.

You're either joking or naive. A hybrid Playstation/Xbox is completely unrealistic, for obvious reasons.

The hybrid nature is revolutionary and executed flawlessly.... Plus 2 of the best exclusives in recent memory, plus adequate 3rd party support, plus all the Indie's. It's a power house.

Compared to wii u the switch is also getting attention from publishers like bethesda that used to avoid nintendo at all costs, so a lot of games from different genres seem to be heading towards switch. And lot of games, topped with gems like breath of wild, odyssei and splatoon 2, mean that its hard to not notice switch and its value.

Around the Network

Great library, that includes the best game Zelda BotW.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Perhaps it’s because it’s not all about graphics. Not to say the switches graphics aren’t great. I have a switch and love it. I don’t even touch my xbone

It’s selling on par with the 3DS, isn’t it? Nintendo handhelda always sell well.

Lawlight said:
It’s selling on par with the 3DS, isn’t it? Nintendo handhelda always sell well.

It's selling a bit more than the 3ds, even with the big price drop the 3ds had in its first year. The switch also has had consistent supply issues since launch in some regions. Just to give context to both consoles first year.

pikashoe said:
Lawlight said:

It's selling a bit more than the 3ds, even with the big price drop the 3ds had in its first year. The switch also has had consistent supply issues since launch in some regions. Just to give context to both consoles first year.

well its selling a bit but thats not 100% confirmed, shipping numbers has 3ds ahead. yea 3ds got a discount, but this also nintendo next console so that makes up for it, with its amazing line up of nintendo games last year, that's why its selling well so far.