By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Surge 2 announced for consoles and PC

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Hmmm ... I don't know if you guys interpreted my comment as a knock on the Surge  or as pocking fun of Prey's sales, but in either case that's not what I was doing. I was being serious. I agree that it's amazing they can make a sequel, and actually I'm glad they can.

:P I thought it was talking to me, missed that bit. We all cool. 

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

Funny to think there will be a sequel since the original sold so poorly. It probably dindt even reach 500k copies.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Errorist76 said: 

I know you're being cynical, but..That would be awesome. One of the best games of last year for sure.

Being cynical? I was being serious! : P I consider that a very optimistic thing for me to say ... as someone who is usually pessimistic on this forum. I genuinely think there's a good likeliness of seeing Prey 2

The Fury said:

Cynical? No. More not aware of their situation. To be able to create a sequel based on the sales of the first game is impressive. We know there are many titles that do better but don't get a new game.

Hmmm ... I don't know if you guys interpreted my comment as a knock on the Surge  or as pocking fun of Prey's sales, but in either case that's not what I was doing. I was being serious. I agree that it's amazing they can make a sequel, and actually I'm glad they can.

Yeah I thought you were poking fun at Prey's sales, which sadly were undeservedly low indeed. Sorry then, my bad.

And Fury, no I wasn't talking to you. So yes, all good :)

I sure hope we'll get a Prey sequel but I can't really see it happening. I'm sure Arkane had invested quite a bit more in the game than Deck 13 did in The Surge.

Vincoletto said:
Funny to think there will be a sequel since the original sold so poorly. It probably dindt even reach 500k copies.

That's where you are wrong. Deck 13 is a small developer and 500K is the best selling game they made ever. Sales are quite ok for such a niche title and regarding their investments and therefore seems to warrant a sequel, which is great. It's all relative.

Errorist76 said:
Vincoletto said:

That's where you are wrong. Deck 13 is a small developer and 500K is the best selling game they made ever. Sales are quite ok for such a niche title and regarding their investments and therefore seems to warrant a sequel, which is great. It's all relative.

Yeah, I think this is a wonderful success story, not only for Deck13 but for "AA" gaming in general. 

With a modest budget and realistic sales goals, medium-sized developers can make a profit and carve out a place in the industry.

Around the Network
Errorist76 said:
Vincoletto said:

Hum... dont know...

If they sold 500k copies the total revenue they could have achieved with that is around 10 million dollars. But it was probably less since not all copies were sold at full price.

I dont think it covers the costs of a studio building an AA title for years plus the profit necessary for the ROI of the project, marketing and travel expenses etc.