By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - 'Black Panther' Tracking for Heroic $100M-$120M U.S. Debut

Box Office Pro has $140M+, Deadline is saying between $130-160M.

Around the Network

Doubt I'll see it in theaters. Not the most excited for it for a number of reasons.

1. Seems your cliché origin story where the hero fights a friend/family member who has the exact same abilities as him.

2. Not a fan of the black panther's lead. Got to see him in Civil War and his whole looking off into the distance and making any and all statements seem like he is quoting some ancient philosopher or has super deep meaning, ect is annoying to me.

3. The SJW'ness of it from a review standpoint. I feel it's getting inflated reviews, the same as Wonder Woman did. Wonder Woman was still a good movie, but not the 90somethign RT is got. It should have been down 10 points or so. But if same holds true for BP, its still a great rating. But I'm not going to fall for its 99% RT score or whatever it has.

4. Marvel movie. These are no longer exciting me. They are too formulaic, unrisky and shreky. They remind me of shrek movies now adays. They are good times with funny topical jokes that and action. Also the color pallet. I hate the filter or whatever Marvel has going on through all its films. I appreciate the consistant look, but sucks they started with a shitty one. As an HDR fan, Marvel movies just 100% suck in that regard. Just recently saw Blade Runner 2049. Movies like that, BvS, the Revenant, ect are just sights to behold. The colors just pop, the contrast, the blacks, ect. I don't think there is one true black color in all of the Marvel movies. It's a shame.

5. Too big a universe. While I enjoy universe building and cameo's, ect. The cameos is making some of the stories lazy. You pop in say a Tony Stark in a movie and due to all the other films he has been in his mere precense adds elements to the story and means the story doesn't need to do as much. Thus while as a whole its good for the universe, the individual movie suffers. Looking back at all the Marvel movies, there is hardly any I would like to rewatch, yet aslo hardly I would say should be removed. They all serve their purpose in this grand scheme, but individually, many are nothing more than a one sentence summary.

Similar faults the long running manga run into. Say One Piece, my favorite manga. Since the time skip, each arc has been still great I guess as a whole and continue to build the world, expand the overall story, characters, ect. But you just kind of want each arc to end by the time is starts. You find yourself kind of wanting to just see spoilers for the end of the series over waiting so damn long. Same with marvel. It's been going so long and just as One Piece is heading towards One Piece, Marvel heads towards Thanos. I just kind of want to get there already and while in the end, I know most of these movies will help the conclusion, right now I'm just are sick of what feels like filler shit till the Avengers movie.

Last edited by irstupid - on 12 February 2018

I'm honestly hoping Black Panther turns out to be more successful than Iron Man.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

People have got pretty high expectations from BP

irstupid said:

Doubt I'll see it in theaters. Not the most excited for it for a number of reasons.

1. Seems your cliché origin story where the hero fights a friend/family member who has the exact same abilities as him.

2. Not a fan of the black panther's lead. Got to see him in Civil War and his whole looking off into the distance and making any and all statements seem like he is quoting some ancient philosopher or has super deep meaning, ect is annoying to me.

3. The SJW'ness of it from a review standpoint. I feel it's getting inflated reviews, the same as Wonder Woman did. Wonder Woman was still a good movie, but not the 90somethign RT is got. It should have been down 10 points or so. But if same holds true for BP, its still a great rating. But I'm not going to fall for its 99% RT score or whatever it has.

4. Marvel movie. These are no longer exciting me. They are too formulaic, unrisky and shreky. They remind me of shrek movies now adays. They are good times with funny topical jokes that and action. Also the color pallet. I hate the filter or whatever Marvel has going on through all its films. I appreciate the consistant look, but sucks they started with a shitty one. As an HDR fan, Marvel movies just 100% suck in that regard. Just recently saw Blade Runner 2049. Movies like that, BvS, the Revenant, ect are just sights to behold. The colors just pop, the contrast, the blacks, ect. I don't think there is one true black color in all of the Marvel movies. It's a shame.

5. Too big a universe. While I enjoy universe building and cameo's, ect. The cameos is making some of the stories lazy. You pop in say a Tony Stark in a movie and due to all the other films he has been in his mere precense adds elements to the story and means the story doesn't need to do as much. Thus while as a whole its good for the universe, the individual movie suffers. Looking back at all the Marvel movies, there is hardly any I would like to rewatch, yet aslo hardly I would say should be removed. They all serve their purpose in this grand scheme, but individually, many are nothing more than a one sentence summary.

Similar faults the long running manga run into. Say One Piece, my favorite manga. Since the time skip, each arc has been still great I guess as a whole and continue to build the world, expand the overall story, characters, ect. But you just kind of want each arc to end by the time is starts. You find yourself kind of wanting to just see spoilers for the end of the series over waiting so damn long. Same with marvel. It's been going so long and just as One Piece is heading towards One Piece, Marvel heads towards Thanos. I just kind of want to get there already and while in the end, I know most of these movies will help the conclusion, right now I'm just are sick of what feels like filler shit till the Avengers movie.

Bvs is the worst super hero movie till date.dark or colorful doesn't mean shit if the movie is shit.marvel is light years ahead of every studio in Hollywood. They are making the biggest film of all time(avengers) with infinite character.no body in the Hollywood has guts to even think about this kind of film.DC failed at copying marvel formula because they don't have the talent to make a successful  universe.

Around the Network

This movie is doing over $130 million easily.

pxrocks said:
irstupid said:

Bvs is the worst super hero movie till date.dark or colorful doesn't mean shit if the movie is shit.marvel is light years ahead of every studio in Hollywood. They are making the biggest film of all time(avengers) with infinite character.no body in the Hollywood has guts to even think about this kind of film.DC failed at copying marvel formula because they don't have the talent to make a successful  universe.

Leave your fanboyism out the door. This has nothing to do with DC vs Marvel. I'm talking Marvel's color palette period.

It has a washed out bland color. There are zero blacks. Look at a list of amazing movies to watch in HDR and I doubt you'll find a Marvel movie on the list. Well maybe some of Fox's selections, but none of Disney's movies.

Just as many claim that Man of Steel would be a better movie if it was brighter or the suit more bright red/blue, I'm saying that Marvel movies would be way better if they were shot on film instead of digital, and had actual real blacks in them. I'm not discussing the subjective material in the movie, just the actual picture quality. Marvel movies picture quality is shit.

Black Panther' Now Tracking for Massive $165M U.S. Debut

Projections for the superhero film keep being revised upward by major tracking services.

The forecast keeps getting better and better for Disney and Marvel Studios' Black Panther, which opens Friday in North America.

Hollywood's leading tracking service NRG on Monday revised its opening weekend estimate to $165 million or more for the four-day Presidents Day weekend — which if it holds would be the top February launch of all time — according to sources with access to tracking.

When Black Panther first came on tracking two weeks ago, NRG forecast a domestic opening of $125 million. By last week, that number had shot up to $150 million-plus.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/black-panther-tracking-massive-165m-us-debut-1083867

Box office mojo is saying it could be close to $210 million over the 4 day weekend !

Box Office Mojo is predicting an opening weekend of anywhere from $185 million to $210 million. Expect similar performance to the Dark Knight Rises.