By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - [Project] [Complete] "Get all the stuff out of my gaming PC and put it somewhere else"

I've taken a look at AM4 M-ITX boards and, while there are a few of them, the ones you're probably more interested in have something weird:

Asus has two ROG Strix models, one with the B350 and another with the X370 chipsets, but neither of them seem to have video outputs? https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B350-I-GAMING/specifications/

You'll have to use another brand or go with Intel.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
I've taken a look at AM4 M-ITX boards and, while there are a few of them, the ones you're probably more interested in have something weird:

Asus has two ROG Strix models, one with the B350 and another with the X370 chipsets, but neither of them seem to have video outputs? https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B350-I-GAMING/specifications/

That's certainly interesting. I'm going to assume the new boards for the Ryzen APUs will feature video outputs, because where would be the point otherwise. I only need 1x HDMI and 1x DP.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
JEMC said:

That's certainly interesting. I'm going to assume the new boards for the Ryzen APUs will feature video outputs, because where would be the point otherwise. I only need 1x HDMI and 1x DP.

I hope the new boards have them, but not including them on those boards knowing that APUs were coming (Asus launched those board on December), is hard to understand.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
vivster said:

I hope the new boards have them, but not including them on those boards knowing that APUs were coming (Asus launched those board on December), is hard to understand.

But why would they when they can make new boards? Let's be honest here, CPUs is not something people change frequently. And if they do that usually comes together with a board change. That's specifically true for mini-ITX because they usually power small home centers that will not really benefit from CPU upgrades.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
JEMC said:

But why would they when they can make new boards? Let's be honest here, CPUs is not something people change frequently. And if they do that usually comes together with a board change. That's specifically true for mini-ITX because they usually power small home centers that will not really benefit from CPU upgrades.

You have a point, but they're limiting themselves by not including the display ports.

Not everybody is brand loyal, and if the competition offers the same kind of boards and features plus the video ports, there's a part of the market that can see those Strix boards as incomplete or not fully featured. They're ROG parts for f*ck's sake, they should have everything!

Around the Network
JEMC said:
vivster said:

You have a point, but they're limiting themselves by not including the display ports.

Not everybody is brand loyal, and if the competition offers the same kind of boards and features plus the video ports, there's a part of the market that can see those Strix boards as incomplete or not fully featured. They're ROG parts for f*ck's sake, they should have everything!

No, ROG boards are for gamers and gamers use dedicated GPUs. So in a way, completely omitting video ports on the board is the most ROG thing you could do.

JEMC said:
vivster said:

Real Gamers don't use APUs.

But yeah, they should have a HDMI and / or DP.

vivster said:
JEMC said:

No, ROG boards are for gamers and gamers use dedicated GPUs. So in a way, completely omitting video ports on the board is the most ROG thing you could do.

Ok, but if ROG is for gamers, then don't expect new ROG boards for the upcoming APUs. After all, it's not the target demography  .

In any case, you'll have to wait for Asus to launch "regular" m-ITX boards (they have none for AM4 outside the ROG brand) or go with the competition.

Or go with Intel, of course.

vivster said:
JEMC said:

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GA-AB350N-Gaming-WIFI-Fusion-Motherboard/dp/B073PWKSP6
One HDMI, one DP and an M.2 slot.
This will work with the APUs too.

caffeinade said:
vivster said:

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GA-AB350N-Gaming-WIFI-Fusion-Motherboard/dp/B073PWKSP6
One HDMI, one DP and an M.2 slot.
This will work with the APUs too.

Where's the m.2 slot on that thing? Position is important since most of the board will be covered by the PSU. I might have to forgo m.2 entirely or get a different Case. My current one is a Lian Li PCQ8 or something.