By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game Developers Conference (GDC) shows increased interest in Switch.

Last year 

3% making Switch games.

5% said their next game would be on Switch.

This year

12% making Switch Games

15% Saif their next game would be on Switch.

Other takeaways from the report.

Platforms Developers are most interested in.

PC 59%

PS4/Pro 39%

Switch 36%

VR 33%

Smartphones/tablets 30%

Xbox one/X 28%

5% Developers still think the Switch will sell less Worldwide than Wii U.

28% games released on Switch have outsold their counterparts on other Platforms

23% have seen Average sales on Switch

16% said that sales were lower on Switch.

The rest said they hadn't released anything on Switch.

This means 76% of games released on Switch have seen the same or greater sales than on other platforms.

Interest in VR is declining for the first time in 3 years.

Everything else you can see in the report here.

http://www.gdconf.com/news/gdc-state-industry-dev-interest-nintendo-switch-surges-vr-interest-wanes/

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/amp/2018-01-24-devs-increasingly-supporting-switch-survey?__twitter_impression=true

Sorry for the formatting but using Mobile it's not doing it properly.

Around the Network

I remember last year people used this as proof that Switch wouldnt sell well or get good support.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Interesting stuff but some of it is odd. For one, what's with the missing percentages? Declined to answer?

And the Switch tops the Xbox in the "interested" category? What does that even mean? When the "plan to make our next game for Switch" comes in at 15%.

VR 33 %, still going strong !

"5% Developers still think the Switch will sell less Worldwide than Wii U." - They're either trolling or are extremely out of touch with reality.

Good results for Switch and its games. Having a bit more than 1/3 of the devs interested in the platform is a good sign, and that 3/4 of its games perform good or very good is even better.

Xbox numbers surprise me. I thought they would be higher than Switch and almost on par with PS4 given how both share a lot of multiplats.

And good numbers for PC!

The bad news is that 1 out of 10 upcoming games will have loot boxes.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

how come anybody still think that the switch will sell less globally than WiiU, isnt like the sales already are better than the total of wiiu sold ?

JEMC said:

"5% Developers still think the Switch will sell less Worldwide than Wii U." - They're either trolling or are extremely out of touch with reality.

Good results for Switch and its games. Having a bit more than 1/3 of the devs interested in the platform is a good sign, and that 3/4 of its games perform good or very good is even better.

Xbox numbers surprise me. I thought they would be higher than Switch and almost on par with PS4 given how both share a lot of multiplats.

And good numbers for PC!

The bad news is that 1 out of 10 upcoming games will have loot boxes.

Xbox numbers are higher than the Switch in terms of concrete support.  I don't really know what to make of the "interested" category.  

I wouldn't worry that much about the "loot box" percentage.  Probably a lot of them are mobile developers.

I think the percentage of interested developers is to do with maybe what they will look to in the future after their next set of games? I don't actually know but I assume that's what it is.

Increased support? Makes sense since it was close to zero last time. Anyway it is obvious that Switch 3rd party support will peak around 2019-2020. I won't be surprised if that's when the sales start to peak around that time. It will also be the time for Nintendo's 2nd wave of big 1st party titles. So a Switch explosion during that time will definitively be possible.

Also the 76% figure for switch games doing at or above sales of other platforms just scream good news. It looks like it will be harder for devs to want to skip out of the Switch bar any big powered games.

Edit: Also who in the world is making PS3 and 360 games in  2018? That percentage should be zero! They are also developing for the Wii U as well! 

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Switch sales graph, according to 5% of the developers: