By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Japanese console market up 72.9% thanks to Switch

Ps4 did good too. Only 8th gen home console contributing to the market. Hopefully they do similar in 2018.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
shoichi said:

IMO, its more likely the website that the OP linked from just phrased the title incorrectly. 

The Famitsu website source is talking about hardware sale numbers and not revenue numbers. 

2017年(53週)
ハード(hardware):2023.7(昨年対比 (contrast compared to prior year) 172.9%)
ソフト(software):1893.8(昨年対比 (contrast) 103.8%)
合計(total):3917.5(昨年対比 (contrast) 130.8%)

2016年(52週)
ハード(hardware):1170.5
ソフト(software):1824.3
合計(total):2994.8

The numbers don't look like unit sales, plus you can't tally up hardware units and software units for any meaningful total. The numbers have to be revenue to make sense.

But you are correct, the author of the article made a mistake. Hardware is up 72.9%, software is up 3.8% and the total is up 30.8%.

yeah re-read my corrected post. I missed from the initial reading the part that detailed it was revenue based and not number of systems sold.

Seems like the author of the OP's link should have included if it was revenue or systems the information was based on.

Last edited by shoichi - on 09 January 2018

RolStoppable said:
shoichi said:

IMO, its more likely the website that the OP linked from just phrased the title incorrectly. 

The Famitsu website source is talking about hardware sale numbers and not revenue numbers. 

2017年(53週)
ハード(hardware):2023.7(昨年対比 (contrast compared to prior year) 172.9%)
ソフト(software):1893.8(昨年対比 (contrast) 103.8%)
合計(total):3917.5(昨年対比 (contrast) 130.8%)

2016年(52週)
ハード(hardware):1170.5
ソフト(software):1824.3
合計(total):2994.8

The numbers don't look like unit sales, plus you can't tally up hardware units and software units for any meaningful total. The numbers have to be revenue to make sense.

But you are correct, the author of the article made a mistake. Hardware is up 72.9%, software is up 3.8% and the total is up 30.8%.

I'm just going by the article's numbers. Maybe they will correct it.

Understandable since the Switch is more fitting in Japan, but still good to see it doing so well~

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

OTBWY said:
gabzjmm23 said:
OP - not all games are from Nintendo. PS4 DQXI is there. duh. :P

Japan is really more of a handheld market now. With Switch hybrid setup, it is a win-win for them. And we know there could be more Switch iterations in the future and a single household could have more than 1 system compared to a home console. Lets wait and see how things would be in 2018. 2018 is the year Playstation would have a ton of great exclusives but I believe targeted more on western audiences, I still think it can get some good sales in Japan.

Not just the Switch is up though.

About DQXI, the 3DS version is on the list. It's on a Nintendo system, which is what was said.

yeah. coz it is a multiplat. :)

no point on arguing. XD

Around the Network

Good. Switch saving the Japanese homeconsole market. Even Wii was not spectacular, but this little kid can save it.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile