By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - There is only 1 person alive from the 19th century left...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nabi_Tajima

As we head into 2018, I realize this could potentially be the last year that someone has lived to experience 3 centuries of existance. Will be a damn shame when she dies, and will close the book of an era. Someday, we could end up just like her; the last husks around from the 20th century, in awe to the existance that people live in that era. I hope to make it to 2101 and experience it for myself, but baring some miracle for a few of us, this will be the last time we see an example of this for the rest of our lives. 

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network
barneystinson69 said:

I hope to make it to 2101 and experience it for myself

Edit: I'm confused. Didn't every celebrate the new millennium at the start of the year 2000 (not 2001). I'd always thought centuries were the 100 years with the same starting digits (ie 1900 to 1999) and no one has ever told me otherwise.

Last edited by SecondWar - on 31 December 2017

Time to eat only ramen noodles and rice mackerel sushi! That's what she "mostly" eats!

Pretty cool, wish she was born in 1899 though

SecondWar said:
barneystinson69 said:

I hope to make it to 2101 and experience it for myself

Actually 2100 would be the first year of the 22nd century so you'd only need to last until then to live into a third century.

I've always thiught it would be quite a feat.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Time to eat only ramen noodles and rice mackerel sushi! That's what she "mostly" eats!

Pretty cool, wish she was born in 1899 though

Last person from the 1800s died in July I believe. At the time of her death, there were 2 peoples alive from 1900, though now this lady is the last.

Around the Network
barneystinson69 said:
SecondWar said:

Actually 2100 would be the first year of the 22nd century so you'd only need to last until then to live into a third century.

I've always thiught it would be quite a feat.

Even more confusingly for me, following the wiki links it names two centuries - one running from 1901 to 2000 (called the 20th century) and one from 1900 to 1999 (the 1900s). FFS, pick one and leave it at that.

Note: I'm tired and cant get to sleep. If I sound crazy then that's why.

Lets clear up the confusion. The 1900's are from 1900 - 1999 but that isnt the same for how we keep track of each century. since there wasnt a year 0 that means we started at year 1 and that years 1 - 100 were the first century, or first hundred years.

so the 19th century would be 1801 - 1900

I'm planning to be 121 years old when I die... that will be 3 centuries for me :D

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Naum said:
I'm planning to be 121 years old when I die... that will be 3 centuries for me :D

You have your life figured out pretty well!

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

My great grandfather and mother died at 111 years old, 3 years shy of crossing 3 centuries, they were born when slavery was still legal in Brazil and were son/daugther of slaves...

I do plan to pass their age so If I manage to live for 116 years I can clear 3 centuries.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."