By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most Wanted Results: January

WoodenPints said:
JRPGfan said:
Thats alot of exlusives in the highest of ranks......

That's pretty much due to the format of the voting where multiplats are split up along with people in general tend to vote very much in favour of exclusives of their favourite platforms in lists like this.

Combining Red Dead 2 Redemption would take it to join 2nd, or Dragon Quest XI from 12th > 6th or Kingdom Hearts 3 would move from 13th > 3rd as a few examples. I do think if you just voted for multiplats without having to specify a platform would make the lists a lot more interesting and more representative of most wanted games in general.

That format isn't exclusive to this feature. When looking at sales figures from NPD, UK or Japan, all games are listed individually even if there are two or three versions of it.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
axumblade said:
WoodenPints said:

That's pretty much due to the format of the voting where multiplats are split up along with people in general tend to vote very much in favour of exclusives of their favourite platforms in lists like this.

Combining Red Dead 2 Redemption would take it to join 2nd, or Dragon Quest XI from 12th > 6th or Kingdom Hearts 3 would move from 13th > 3rd as a few examples. I do think if you just voted for multiplats without having to specify a platform would make the lists a lot more interesting and more representative of most wanted games in general.

This is why I include the 2nd list in my OP to be honest. I think the majority of readers prefer the individual breakdown but I want to show the overall rankings when you combine platforms too. I do think that the overall rankings need to be spruced up so that it's not so barebones. That's one of my goals to work on with this year's most wanted. 

Yea it would be great to see the overall rankings spruced up a little :) I'm one of the guys who generally just looks at the top 10 on the individual list and then scrolls past the rest to view the overall combined list and platform breakdowns but I would have a guess that a lot do it the opposite of viewing the individual lists then scroll to the next post about platform breakdown and the overall rankings can get a little hidden in between the other sections.

axumblade said:
WoodenPints said:

This is why I include the 2nd list in my OP to be honest. I think the majority of readers prefer the individual breakdown but I want to show the overall rankings when you combine platforms too. I do think that the overall rankings need to be spruced up so that it's not so barebones. That's one of my goals to work on with this year's most wanted. 

Interesting. Do you know how you'll do it?

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

This is nice factual work. I like a system that takes true votes and takes those numbers into an actual true representation of the people that doesn't lie. I think all media polls are out to be biased and have an agenda. At least with gaming we have a strong representation of the facts. Fun stuff too.

Ka-pi96 said:
JEMC said:

That format isn't exclusive to this feature. When looking at sales figures from NPD, UK or Japan, all games are listed individually even if there are two or three versions of it.

Only if you look at the individual formats. UK charts have a combined formats as well which is the only one I really look at since it's more accurate. Don't pay much attention to NPD but don't they usually use combined formats too and then show which version sold best etc rather than placing each invidual SKU on the chart?

I don't follow NPD that much anymore (the lack of accurate data makes it less interesting), but UK does the same as axum with this feature: first they list the individual results and then they also have a table where they combine all the votes/sales.

In any case, axum has already said that he's thinking on ways to improve the presentation.

Around the Network
axumblade said:
JEMC said:

Interesting. Do you know how you'll do it?

Not quite sure about what to do yet. This all started out a bit barebones and I feel like I've finally gotten most of the features the way I want them. As for next month, I am thinking of just changing the font color for titles that will be releasing the following month just so users can have an easy way to see what titles are leaving. I think I'm done tweaking the color for the initial charts though so I can move on to working on other things. I contemplated adding in release dates for titles but I think the only title in the top 10 that has a release date officially is Ni No Kuni II. So I opted for looking into other things I can do. xD 

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. :) 

Changing the font colour (making them black again for example) could work as they would stand out above the rest. Maybe even putting them in italics?

I understand not putting the release dates because it would be a mess and half the list would have "TBA" in that place. And from the other half, most of them would get delays that would complicate it even more.

As for suggestions, mine would go for the single and combined lists, and it would imply making a third post. Because let's face it, the first post has too much info, so it would be interesting to split it in two posts. About how to split it, I can think of two ways:

1) Keep the individual list and the table with the total votes & points for each platform in the first post, and move the combined and franchise tables to the second one to let them shine. Or

2) Keep the current top 25 individual titles and the combined & franchise tables in the first post, and move the complete individual list plus the total points and votes table to the second one.

One thing is for sure, you'll need to add some colour to the combined table, to differentiate the exclusives from the multiplatform titles.

woit a minute! Is RE2 Remake still a thing? How come I didnt know?
Would any of you kindly share a link related to trusted news of RE2 remake

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.

Nice that KH3 and DQXI did so well.

axumblade said:
JEMC said:

Changing the font colour (making them black again for example) could work as they would stand out above the rest. Maybe even putting them in italics?

I understand not putting the release dates because it would be a mess and half the list would have "TBA" in that place. And from the other half, most of them would get delays that would complicate it even more.

As for suggestions, mine would go for the single and combined lists, and it would imply making a third post. Because let's face it, the first post has too much info, so it would be interesting to split it in two posts. About how to split it, I can think of two ways:

1) Keep the individual list and the table with the total votes & points for each platform in the first post, and move the combined and franchise tables to the second one to let them shine. Or

2) Keep the current top 25 individual titles and the combined & franchise tables in the first post, and move the complete individual list plus the total points and votes table to the second one.

One thing is for sure, you'll need to add some colour to the combined table, to differentiate the exclusives from the multiplatform titles.

That's not a bad idea. So I should go for having 3 posts total. I think I like the first one more and I will find a way to add a bit of color between exclusives and multiplats. I could do one of two things in that case. I could just do a general color for the multiplatform titles Or I could just make a note underneath the title with the platforms in color coded boxes? 

I don't really know if you could do the colour coded boxes thing and make it look good. I don't know if the site could handle it. But you can always try it and then decide if it looks ok or not.