By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why Sony should also use a Cell Processor for PS5 (x86+Cell coprocessor)

Pemalite said:

Binary Translation.

Glhf getting worthwhile performance with that.

May work for legacy code base via peephole SO's from much slower systems with off the shelf ppc processors, but customized 64bit ppc with spe and ppe? Yeah not going to happen. 

Around the Network

I know I shouldn't be but I'm still surprised by your lack of basic technological understanding. Well, they do say hate comes from ignorance, so that explains a lot.

We do have a lot of people on VGC who are really knowledgeable in this stuff. Instead of fighting them you should consult them first before doing threads like these.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Cell is totally outeated. It was only floating point heavy and the floating point heavy stuff is done on GPU's today.

Sure. While they are at it, they should use one with 64 SPEs. The PlayStation 64. It won't be a real 64 console cause the Cell is 32 bits. Unless you use Jaguar logic.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Ruler said:

-OP post-

Sony has failed their initial goal with the Cell. So they will never go back to it.

Last edited by Aura7541 - on 27 December 2017

Around the Network
NATO said:
Pemalite said:

Binary Translation.

Glhf getting worthwhile performance with that.

May work for legacy code base via peephole SO's from much slower systems with off the shelf ppc processors, but customized 64bit ppc with spe and ppe? Yeah not going to happen. 

Works fine. Just ask Intel when running ARM apps on it's x86 medfield processors.
Microsoft is also leveraging a similar approach to achieve backwards compatibility on the Xbox One. (Amongst other things.)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

BC and ease of development is going to be more important than better tech. Sony won't make that silly mistake again.

The PS5 Exists. 

I disagree. Should be close to PC structure so that all dev tools work well. Exclusive games are the key to succeess, just like Ps4 and Switch show.

Pemalite said: 

Ruler said:

The PS3 was even originally designed to run without a GPU, they planed to use two 2 Cells originally without any GPU.

No.
The Cell lacks a ton of the basic functional components to perform GPU-type duties efficiently.

The Cell was designed to be a CPU first and foremost, the fact it is using the PowerPC ISA is a testament to that very basic fundamental fact... It sounds like you have been drinking some fake news over the years. - Of course they did take a VLIW-like approach to it's core layout with Cell. But ultimately... Who cares?

Do you know how rapidly GPU's and CPU's double their performance? Cell is ancient, outdated and downright archaic today.

Not agreeing with anything OP says but it is true Sony originally planned for the PS3 to have a second cell instead of a GPU. The Nvidia GPU was a fairly late addition to the machine before release.

Last edited by Aura7541 - on 27 December 2017

If i remember rivht, Cell was originally intended to do real time raytracing instead of rasterizing. PS3 would have been an sd console that way though.
With the improvements in rasterzing that happened at that time and Microsofts HD approach the original concept seemed pretty outdated though.