By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - "Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."

Rogerioandrade said:
Peh said:

Nope. Try again. 

If it may assume the existence of spiritual beings, then, yes, it is.

It doesn't challenge even the question about such things. 

Atheism is the position people have that simply don't believe in a god or gods. That's it. 

Someone who doesn't believe in Gods can still believe in ghosts or other stuff. Not that I think it's rational. 

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network
Peh said:
clevited said:

Peh,

I will try to answer your questions/comments the best I can, there were quite a few, and some mixed in to your posts but I will try to address them all. Just a note, I have quite the imagination but not always the abiility to convey it. I will do my best.

"Are you familiar with the "god of the gaps" argument?"

1. I am, but I had never heard it actually labeled with a name. It is natural, expecially for primitive human's to try and explain something they don't understand with God. Many still do it. It doesn't bother me (sometimes the REALLY fundamentalist religious folks bother me though, you know, flat earthers, world is only 5000 years old or whatever) when people claim God did this, or God did that. Why is that? Because I believe in God too. The Old Testament/New Testament God that is. I however make sense of things in a scientific way, but I don't let that get in the way of my belief in God. To me, God ultimately is the reason everything is. I believe that, even though I see the world scientifically. This is because I have faith. I don't have to justify or explain faith, it just is what it is, and I have it.

"That's what I don't like about apologists. You just take your God and place it somewhere where he cannot possible be found in order to say, "He exists there, prove me wrong". "

2. I didn't know what an apologist was until you brought it up. I guess you could call me one but please read on first. I came upon my idea of God possibly being a multidimentional being all on my own. I already had faith, but while I was watching some physicists talk on a YouTube video and explain the concept of higher dimensions, it just made me think of God. I could now marry God and science, I never thought that could happen for me. I thought faith would be all I had to understand Him, but my rational mind can understand the concept of multiple dimensions outside our own and I thought to myself, if we live in 3 dimensions, why can't there be beings in higher dimensions? Now this idea is still at odds with my faith based God, as this now suggests that God might not be unique, there might be many, just as there are people. I then realized, that doesn't really matter does it?? God is still God, my faith in His promises is still there, and the hope I have for something beyond this life hasn't changed.

"Do you know where they put God in the beginning of writing the scripts? They place him in the sky. Why? Because no human being was able to get there to confirm that he is actually there. While we were able to go past that and even further, god was placed further and further away. Just to be sure that no one can disprove his existence."

3. This sounds to me like you feel all religious people conspire to falsly convince everyone of something they know to not be true. I will just reiterate that faith is what makes me believe, and is what makes all who believe, believe. As I said, I merely made a connection, I did not read anyone's blog or whatever and adopt it. I sought out articles after I thought of it to see if I was the only one. To get back to the placing God further and further away, I don't think that is really quite true. If for instance, we believe God is a multidimensional being, then God is everywhere. He is in the sky, the ground, the air, the stars, everywhere. So saying God dwells in the sky is true if you believe him to be multidimensional.

"This seems to go in the direction of agnosticism. Higher dimension have not been proved nor is there any trace of them actually existing. They are just concepts as of now."

4. You are right, but they seem very possible. I find it incredibly fun to think about. Yes they aren't proven, and therefore anyone can say that God doesn't exist because such and such can't be proven etc, but it is extremely fascinating to think about, thats all I can say. I assumed many athiests are very science minded, I would think the possibility of multiple dimensions, would give more credibility to God possibly existing. Lets say we somehow prove that multiple dimensions exist, doesn't that warrant a great possiblity for God also existing?

I am not agnostic just as an fyi. I believe in the God of the Old/New testament, but I don't deny that my faith might not contain the "big picture", and that there could be details about God (or gods???) that are not disclosed in any text we have.

"The question I am still bugged with is... does God know what it is? Why it is? Why it exists? You must try to imagine that you are the first being ever made."

I don't have an answer for that, but its fun to think about isn't it? Perhaps God just became, or perhaps he is one of many just like we are one of many. Perhaps he is just a kid in his dimension, and we are just tadpoles in his pond lol. I really don't know for sure. My faith however, is in the God of the Bible. I feel that was God speaking to us in His own way. Much like a father or mother raises their creation (their child), God raises us through the Bible and through faith. I can't explain that very well, I just feel it.

5. I can't help but feel you are quite angry or hellbent on debunking religion. While I will not try to make you believe, I will suggest you keep your mind open to all viewpoints in this world. Don't jump to conclusions about people's intelligence, don't let emotion dictate your viewpoints. Try to be understanding, and "feel" your way to the truth rather than always try to "think" your way to it.

I feel if you look for God, you will find him, if you push Him away or continue to find ways to debunk Him, you will succeed. I personally found more happiness, worth, hope, and meaning by looking for God, but to each their own.

Edit: Read through my post just now, I apologize if some of my statements sound accusational (is that a word? Lol). I just speak my mind and don't always pay attention to how it might come off to someone else. 

1. Sure you can keep your believe. I am not taking that away. I just don't like the position that science is trying the hardest to explain the world and reality around us and get stuck at a certain point and a theist comes to aid and says "We got all the answers you seek, my friend. God did it. But not any god. It was the one I believe in." And then there comes the next theist claiming the exact same thing, but it was his God and not the one from the other theist.

So, does this actually answer the question what science is trying to figure out or does a God raises even more questions? I mean, I can position myself and say that the almighty Neko created this universe. Proof me wrong. 

2. One think is to be aware of the concepts, the other is to try them out and see if you can destroy them. And multidimensions are just that, concepts. They don't get much further than traveling back in time does. 

3. Sorry, but that explanation leads to nowhere. As I said about the concept of God, God was created by humans to explain the unknown. It was later when they started to personify it and gave them sacrifices to have an easier life. God is also a great way to control the weak minded. And this is still being done by cults for example. But at the same time, it is also a good way to control aggressive people by threaten them with an eternal punishment. 

4. Only if the other dimension work differently than our dimension and doesn't destroy itself, because of the possibility of a god existing in it or rather creating the opportunity for one existing. Explaining this will make things only more complicated than they already are :/ So, I just stop at this statement. 

5. Yes, I can sound angry sometimes, because I bothered with these issues for way too long. I guess arguing with Flat Earthers was the thing that went way to far. But I also get bored and annoyed to explain the most basic things each and every time, just to see that those aren't understood, at all. When you have to tell that a scientific theory isn't the same as a theory for the hundreds of time, you just give up. If you see Flat Earthers don't believing in Gravity, because jumping would somehow disprove it you give up on humanity. And all these kind of behaviours are well explained. Sadly, there is no cure for these kind of people. 

Dunning-Kruger Effect is what this stuff is called. It's why conspiracy theories and idiots exist on this planet in the first place. When I see people spraying vinegar on contrails to make them disappear, I just want to drag them through the monitor and punch the stupidity out of them. 

If I see Ray Comfort making a movie called "The Atheist Delusion" in contrast to "The God Delusion" and fails throughout his whole movie by relying on the Watchmaker fallacy then I just can't take it anymore. This guy thought that the Banana was a proof of Intelligent Design, because it fits perfectly in our hand. Well, Intelligent Design it is, but we call it selective breeding. The form of the banana known today is thanks to humans cultivating it to get this shape. He calls it the "Atheist Nightmare". 

o_O.Q said:

"beyond the unverified idea that there are no gods, atheism as a belief system has no other merit besides in my opinion unjustified arrogance... "

You lost the debate before it even started by misrepresenting the opposing position. "

1. well if you move on to saying its the lack of belief in gods the point i was making still holds, but regardless if that is your point, what then differentiates you from an agnostic person? since we can also make the argument that a lack of belief in gods is what defines an agnostic person in this context

"I wouldn't be surprised if something like that has been said 100 years ago and look where we are now and what we have found. In order to pick up all of the phenomena in existence"

yes, that was my point exactly, 100 years or so ago we did not understand radio waves and the electromagnetic spectrum and we would have considered a person using a cell phone to be a wizard presumably and now here we are in the present day taking these things for granted

" If those are interacting with this world, we surely be able to locate them and probably also explain."

2. why would you assume that? this is why i asked you if you believe our instruments are able to detect all phenomena that exist... and example that this is not the case is dark matter and black holes

your argument here is based on the assumption that right now we have reached the pinnacle of our understanding of the universe and don't have anything else to discover and its just not true

" If there are phenomena that exist, but don't interact with this world, then surely it will be the same as they don't exist in the first place."

3. the point i'm making is that phenomena exist that interact with our world that we have difficulty measuring and deciphering properly and apparently in some cases miss entirely

"Oh and.. our senses? No. But that's why we use "scientific instrumentation" in the first place."

4. we interpret the data instruments produce with our senses yes, and both instruments and our senses are fallible and we are even now in a constant process of refining and improving our instruments and scientific methodology and as we continue to do so we uncover more information about our environment

5. to give an example, the scientific community  recently discovered gravity waves during some type of experiment... before hand they didn't have concrete evidence for the existence of the waves as far as i remember, but that changed with this test.... which demonstrates that there was was a phenomenon that was undetectable but over time with better instrumentation and methodology it was revealed

"There is one particular thing I don't like about certain theists. And that's reverse engineering. You got and idea and a concept of God and try to work in order to proof that concept. That's the opposite what science is doing."

6. actually that's exactly how the scientific method works, a hypothesis is proposed and tests are conducted to prove or disprove that hypothesis

i'll concede though that god is not testable, well at least not in any objective way i can think of

7. lastly i'm not a theist

1. I just post the definition for agnosticism. 

"a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God."

Now compare it to Atheism

"Disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods."

Do you see the difference?

2. No, you got me wrong. I don't say we have found everything, otherwise we would stop looking. I say, that if we can observe it, we will find it. 

3. I am not denying this one. I am still aware of those stuff which are found in Quantum Mechanics. The problem which measurements with single particles is troublesome and difficult, because that measurement will change it's behavior and result. Take the "Double Slit Experiment" for example. One explanation I heard was that the observation annihilates the wave of the particle so it cannot interact with its own wave going through the other slit and changing it's course. But here you have the "Delayed choice quantum eraser". Still have to look into it.

4. That's an odd argument.

5. Yes, and what science can also do is do predictions. Take the Higgs Bosom for example. 

6. No, not exactly. You observe a phenomena and do a hypothesis about it. Now you experiment and test it by trying to falsify it. If it succeeds, you move on and do more tests. If you fail, your hypothesis is wrong and you need to come up with a new one. What theists do is they use God as the conclusion. Now you look for everything that speak in favor of God. Everything that denies God will be ignored. Hence Intelligent Design against Evolution. Same issue. Science is not starting with Evolution and looking for evidence. The look at the evidence and verify where it leads them.     

7. What theological positions applies to you? 

"Do you see the difference?"

no, not really, i personally think its just a linguistic game that's being played to block criticism when atheism is criticised

these two stances are pretty much the same "a person that believes nothing is known about the existence of god" "a person who has a lack of belief in god"

i don't really think people exist that hold this position "nothing can be known about the existence of god", everyone i've spoken to who considers themselves to be agnostic states they are in that position because they don't have evidence verifying the existence of god... i don't anyone would rationally state that even if evidence was provided they'd just dismiss it completely

" No, you got me wrong. I don't say we have found everything, otherwise we would stop looking. I say, that if we can observe it, we will find it. "

so how can you at the same time say that supernatural phenomena do not exist?

"I am still aware of those stuff which are found in Quantum Mechanics. "

i'm not talking specifically about quantum mechanics

"That's an odd argument."

the point i'm making is that the scientific method is inherently subjective since it relies on judgement of observations which are inherently subjective

"Yes, and what science can also do is do predictions."

predictions generally apply to phenomena that is already understood and we are aware of, but as i said previously we don't know everything yet and we still can't even accurate measure 97% of the universe with out instrumentation

"No, not exactly. You observe a phenomena and do a hypothesis about it. Now you experiment and test it by trying to falsify it. If it succeeds, you move on and do more tests. If you fail, your hypothesis is wrong and you need to come up with a new one. "

yeah... that's what i said 

"What theists do is they use God as the conclusion."

i did already concede that god cannot be tested

"What theological positions applies to you? "

i suppose i'm agnostic

Just to throw out an idea of how I see God while also having a truth seeking scientific mind. God to me, is like all of the stuff we don't know about the universe right now. We have a lot of theories to certain things existing or not, we can test for some of them. We look for theorized particles all of the time in supercoliders. We often don't find them, even though the math says they are likely there. We still hang on to the theory, believe in the theory and search to prove or disprove the theory. Some theory's are basically taken as truth because they "fit" and explain things the best out of all others.

God is to me, like the theory of one of these extremely difficult to to prove/disprove scientific theories. I am not talking about any particular one, as I am certainly not familiar with all we theorize today. The "math" that provides overwhelming evidence that God exists is the Bible. The "math" explains a lot about Him but not maybe the entire picture, only what has been revealed to us by God. We may not ever be able to prove or disprove a certain scientific theory but since it fits, it will continue to be believed to be true. God is the same way to me. The evidence is there, the theory makes sense, and for me and more than a billion others, we choose to accept it as truth.

There is a part of believing God is real and exists that cannot so easily be compared with this scientific analogy though. That is the faith portion, or what I like to call, the Matrix instinct. Like Neo knew there was something wrong with his world, and he knew it was the Matrix, but he didn't know what that was, a similar thing holds true with many devout Christians. You just feel God is there, because there is something you just can't explain. A gut feeling etc.

Now you can break that "gut feeling" down into details about how that happens biologically, but really, can you tell someone that it is truley and completely biological in origin? There are all kinds of things that can be explained through science how they happen, but not why. God could someday be scientifically understandable in some manner for all we know. Maybe we find a particle that initiates certain chemical reactions in our heads, does other things, whatever, but where is the origin of that particle, and why can't that still be the means in which God acts?

For those Atheists on here, please don't confuse all religions with ignorance and lack of intelligence. There are some fundamentalists that really destroy the reputation religion, in my case I am talking strickly Christian. Has religion caused wars, and all kinds of other stuff? Yes. Would that still happen without religion? I would bet you absolutely anything that it would. Has religion done a lot of good in this world? You better believe it, and I would argue that it has done more good than harm by a long shot. Does religion hold back scientific discovery, technology etc? Sometimes, in some ways, but in others it advances it (see Catholicism).

If you get confused with which religion is the right one, well that is something you discover on your own. I am biased towards Christianity, but which kind? I am Catholic. To me, historically, that is as close as you can get to the originaly church founded by Jesus' deciples. All other Christian churches are spin offs of the real deal. I don't think however, that they don't have their place. I think they certainly do as far as reaching out to people of all kinds and backgrounds. I have a great respect though for Catholicism. It certainly has had its fair share of negativity in the news, but when you are 1 billion strong in membership, and have all the money the Vatican has, you are bound to have some corruption within the ranks. I could go on and on, and there are many ways to look at this subject. How do you know what to believe? What is the truth? Are everyone spinning it their own way? It comes down to your own journey through life, and following your "gut" more often than trying to think your way and fact find.

Good luck to all exploring religion, and trying to find answers. I wish you the best, and I ultimately hope and yes PRAY for you to discover the answers as I feel I have. I have been there, I just didn't let myself, or I wasn't allowed to fall too deeply into what I feel is the very dark hole of atheism.

Edit:  Just a little ditty to bring up another concept.  Churches often get blaimed for holding back society for their beliefs.  They accuse them of being opressive to certain peoples.  In some ways I see that as true, but the over all picture of the intent is to me, extremely intelligent and respectable. 

Just a loose example.  Right now, for much of the world, it would be unimaginable to think of causing harm to your neighbor for any reason, or a parent ridding themselves of their challenging child to make their lives easier.  Those are EVIL things to most all of us (I sure hope so).  We are as a society, incrementally, stepping towards those types of things becoming ok.  Things that were once deemed as very wrong, are evolving into things that are just fine becuase the "mob" wants it.  The Catholic Church for instance, certainly tries hard to stop that from happening with their influence they have world wide, and they do it regardless of the backlash and member losses they will recieve.  I feel, they see the big picture.  

Just food for thought.  

Last edited by clevited - on 30 December 2017

This is Pascal's wager. Like others here have pointed out, you could make up an unlimited number of metaphysical claims about the universe that would have dire consequences if we don't take them seriously. The two main flaws with these line of reasoning are 1. We have no evidence whatsoever that the claim is true (there is no evidence that the Christian God, or any other gods, exist). 2. There is a penalty imposed on us for "believing" this claim since we would have to radically adjust our lives / world view to conform to this (going to church, donating to churches/charities, following a moral code imposed by Christianity etc. etc.; it is a huge cost).

Simple example, I could make the claim that the world will end in 24 hours unless everyone reading this sends me $100. If I'm wrong, you are only losing $100, and if I'm right you will save the world by sending me money. I don't think anyone is going to send me $100 though... 

DarthVolod said:

This is Pascal's wager. Like others here have pointed out, you could make up an unlimited number of metaphysical claims about the universe that would have dire consequences if we don't take them seriously. The two main flaws with these line of reasoning are 1. We have no evidence whatsoever that the claim is true (there is no evidence that the Christian God, or any other gods, exist). 2. There is a penalty imposed on us for "believing" this claim since we would have to radically adjust our lives / world view to conform to this (going to church, donating to churches/charities, following a moral code imposed by Christianity etc. etc.; it is a huge cost).

Simple example, I could make the claim that the world will end in 24 hours unless everyone reading this sends me $100. If I'm wrong, you are only losing $100, and if I'm right you will save the world by sending me money. I don't think anyone is going to send me $100 though... 

There is evidence, the Bible and the billions of people that believe that particular God exists. 

You don't have to go to church, give money or anything to believe God exists. 

Don't we need a moral code??  Whats wrong with a Christian one?  Who would you trust more to not harm you if you are all alone, unarmed in a dark alley?  The Christian guy, or a gangster?  Really no reason to trust or not trust either as you would be judging them before knowing them, but if you have to go by moral codes, I might lean slightly towards the Christian person lol.  Obviously there are bad apples regardless of your code, but this is just a basic example.  

There are people that succeed in exactly what you said regarding money.   Some are Christian, some have no religious affiliation, some have a similar crazy claim but most are a much simpler version of that.  When I give to my church however, I know what that money is going for.  I don't give the money to go to heaven or be in God's good graces, I give it to help keep the church running, and to help it with it's charities.

Anyways, I am not the most eloquent in explaining these sorts of things so I will leave it there.  Might not be examples that make sense to you, and you might attempt to find every single flaw or hole in what I am saying to make your point.  If you want to not believe in God, and prove relgion sucks, you will succeed, if you want to believe He is real, you will succeed.  Which one brings you the life you want??  That is up to you. 

I am bowing out of this forum, I have said my pieces.  I am not a very good debater, I just wanted to share my point of view.  Also, since this is a gaming website, GAME ON! 

Around the Network

The only thing thats infinite is human stupidity. When fanatics and atheist learn to respect each other ideologies, then the world will be a better place to live.Period.

The bible is nothing that antique political propaganda of fiction, lies and a little of truth and by no means must be considered as proof/ base for your own ideologies. Only blind fanatics are guided by blind proof.

Listen kids for once in your life.We live in a world full of lies. And lies beneath the lies. Just because a stupid book or a religious group say something doesn’t mean a thing. People live in a cloud of dumbness and looks comfortable there. Everybody lies from your parents and friends to politicians and religious leaders. And if some idiots tell me that a guy walk on the water the only thing I can they to them,f**k off. I wasnt born yesterday. Use your brain kids at least for once.

DarthVolod said:

there are penalties imposed implicitly and explicitly simply from living in civilisation no matter what, that doesn't go away even if you destroy all religion and i'd argue that it can get incredibly inhumane when atheism takes hold of a society, such as in the soviet union

its a perpetual problem of existing as a human being that's being framed by naive people as a problem stemming only from religion as opposed to simply coming as a result of humans coming together and forming groups and needing limitations to coexist peacefully

Suky said:

Listen kids for once in your life.We live in a world full of lies. And lies beneath the lies. Just because a stupid book or a religious group say something doesn’t mean a thing. People live in a cloud of dumbness and looks comfortable there. Everybody lies from your parents and friends to politicians and religious leaders. And if some idiots tell me that a guy walk on the water the only thing I can they to them,f**k off. I wasnt born yesterday. Use your brain kids at least for once. 

I can't help but comment one more time before bowing out. 

I am sorry this subject angers you so much. I might be wrong, but I would guess you are quite young, maybe teens to early 20s.  I was there, maybe not as angry as you but I was there. I sought out answers and found my way. I hope you do too whatever that may be.

If I could give you some advice. Learning to control that anger towards the religious will get you a long ways into understanding and seeing both sides of the "coin" . Your opinions will garner respect and you will have some amazingly interesting and informative conversations with the religious and those that see the world like you currently do.

Good luck to you!