By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon Switch may be using Unreal 4

for decades now GameFreak has been making Pokemon games working to the very limit of handheld capabilities. Now that they have a generational leap to catch up with, they have the potential to make the best pokemon game weve ever seen

Around the Network
Yerm said:
for decades now GameFreak has been making Pokemon games working to the very limit of handheld capabilities. Now that they have a generational leap to catch up with, they have the potential to make the best pokemon game weve ever seen

Not if that Pikachu model is anything to go by. They're going to blow it and by blow it I dont mean Bomb but any evolution that one would expect for having such a tech leap/new platform will be missed. Tradition is going to get in the way.

I'm excited to see what they do with the console version of Pokémon. I don't think an out of focus screen grab is anything to go by....Just please have full online!

Yerm said:

I really fear that expectation is so prevalent that the next Pokemon may disappoint people. 

I suppose it depends on how long they end up working on it, but it seems they've only been working on the Switch Pokemon game for under a year. People, meanwhile, seem to expect some incredible open-world, console quality Pokemon game, something they've never done before.

I suspect it will wind up being a lot more like the recent Sun and Moon with better visuals, but I doubt it will be completely transformative. That still means it could be a superb game, but I worry expectations could be held against it.

Frankly, I hope they finally get around to a new Pokemon Snap lol... this system seems absolutely perfect for it.

Expectations are getting dangerously high lol

Johnw1104 said: 

Frankly, I hope they finally get around to a new Pokemon Snap lol... this system seems absolutely perfect for it.

I would cry if this got announced, would be interesting to see if they can incorporate AR 

andyy

Around the Network

When I think about it, it makes a lot of sense they'd be using Unreal Engine 4 or something instead of creating a whole new engine from scratch, especially from a time and lack of HD development experience perspective.

Although it could just be for spin off game like Detective Pikachu seeing it's Creatures Inc.

But anyways either way... HYPE!

Last edited by Green098 - on 21 December 2017

Joe of serebii points out,( and I agree with him) that creatures Inc. Usually makes spinoff games and only helps with the main series in minor ways, more likely BV the job listing is for a spinoff (maybe detective pikachu 2, that picture seems similar)
However as the OP says unreal engine is being used in many games for the switch,so Pokémon using it is very likely
Expectations on the game are very high, however small of a leap it is, the jump in power alone will make a big enough difference and also saleswise Pokémon gonna Pokémon

I just hope they bring a little more of the attitude of "being the best of them all",because that is what make pokemon stand out to me.It's an honest game.And that seems(to me at least) to be underused on the more recent entries.

Xxain said:
Yerm said:

Not if that Pikachu model is anything to go by. They're going to blow it and by blow it I dont mean Bomb but any evolution that one would expect for having such a tech leap/new platform will be missed. Tradition is going to get in the way.

Johnw1104 said:
Yerm said:

I really fear that expectation is so prevalent that the next Pokemon may disappoint people. 

I suppose it depends on how long they end up working on it, but it seems they've only been working on the Switch Pokemon game for under a year. People, meanwhile, seem to expect some incredible open-world, console quality Pokemon game, something they've never done before.

I suspect it will wind up being a lot more like the recent Sun and Moon with better visuals, but I doubt it will be completely transformative. That still means it could be a superb game, but I worry expectations could be held against it.

mZuzek said:
Yerm said:

It feels like the words "Pokémon" and "potential" have been said together for decades now. I wouldn't get my hopes up, Game Freak is absolutely in love with wasting potential... and I can't blame them, really - when every game they make sells 15 million units regardless of how much money and time they put into it, why would they work harder?

alright, fair points. so lets put some parameters on what i mean by "potential". obviously it wont have a groundbreaking story since pokemon games are never really known for that (excluding spinoffs) and people will generally criticize new pokemon designs no matter what. so now lets look at what they CAN do. pokemon battles could become a lot flashier and prettier to look at, look at Battle Revolution and now scale that up 2 generations. the world could be exponentially bigger due to having more storage space to work with and they would look a lot better thanks to better processing and graphics power. and for those reasons alone i am very excited to see what GameFreak is cooking up

I expect natural evolution. Essentially a jump to HD and maybe a few conventional ways that RPGs opened the gameplay up a bit at the turn of the Century. I'm definitely not expecting BotW with Pokemon.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7