By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A comparison of the Nintendo, Xbox and PlayStation community threads

So, what am I doing? I'm not sure exactly. But I like making lists, and I like snooping around, so I decided to just do some numbers and see how these all stacked and compared with each other.

Nintendo

So, the very first community thread of the three seemed to be SpurgeonRyan's Nintendo News Thread, which opened up January 20th, 2012 before being closed shortly afterwards in March of 2012. That thread would soon be replaced by another Nintendo News Thread by SpurgeonRyan, this time lasting much longer. However, with Spurge's temporary departure in October 2013, the future of the thread seemed uncertain.

That void would soon be filled by ConeGamer with his/her now iconic Nintendomination thread. This thread lasted from November 2013 until May 2015, garnering tens of thousands of posts in the process.

However, with Cone's absence, Platina was handed the new reigns of Nintendomination. This one was the longest lasting one, going from May 2015 until July 2017, and also had tens of thousands of posts.

This was not to last either though, and Platina eventually decided to hand the reigns over to RavenXtra, in which he decided to rename the thread to Nintendominion. This is the current version.

Now, let's crunch the numbers and see what we get!:

1. Nintendo News Thread #1: 1467 posts from January 20th, 2012 to March 7th, 2012 for a PPD average of 30.5625
  2. Nintendo News Thread #2: 5927 posts from March 7th, 2012 to October 30th, 2013 for a PPD average of 9.8292
  3. Cone's Nintendomination: 21874 posts from November 1st, 2013 to May 19th, 2015 for a PPD average of 44.0248
  4. Platina's Nintendomination: 17594 posts from May 11th, 2015 to July 3rd, 2017 for a PPD average of 22.4127
  5. Nintendominion: 1864 posts from July 1st, 2017 to present for a PPD average of 11.1617
Total: 48,746 posts and a PPD average of 22.6120

PlayStation

The second one to get its own community thread was PlayStation. Pezus opened up PlayStation Nation on February 27th, 2013. It lasted for a few months over a year, until Pezus decided to leave VGChartz and go to VizionEck. This thread had around 20k posts.

The second thread is confusing like Xbox Empire 2.0, because it was actually transferred from Gooch_Destroyer, who was the original OP, to Shadow8, who took it over after Gooch decided to hand it over as a result of his decreasing participation on VGChartz. This thread also had around 20,000 posts.

Shadow eventually decided that it was time for a new thread, so in October of 2016 he created the third version of PlayStation Nation, which he kept control of until he abandoned the site in April of 2017 without naming a successor.

I eventually took over on July 2017, and to this day I am the OP of the 4th incarnation of PlayStation Nation!!

1. PlayStation Nation V1: 27,277 posts from February 27th, 2013 to May 5th, 2014 for a PPD average of 62.9954
  2. PlayStation Nation V2: 18,791 posts from May 5th, 2014 to October 10th, 2016 for a PPD average of 21.1135
  3. PlayStation Nation V3: 2,452 posts from October 10th, 2016 to July 1st, 2017 for a PPD average of 9.2528
  4. PlayStation Nation V4: 1,740 posts from June 26th, 2017 to present for a PPD average of 10.1163
Total: 50,260 posts and a PPD average of 28.6872

Xbox

Surprisingly enough, the biggest community in terms of posts was the last, beginning with JayWood2010 and his massive Xbox Empire Thread. This thread was the biggest in VGChartz history!! It lasted from July 2013 until JayWood's permaban from the site for advertising his own site in his threads, in May 2015.

Now, this is where it gets a bit interesting. The second and current Xbox Empire thread has had two different OPs: Shikamaru317 was the OP for the first 10k or so posts, and instead of creating a new thread for the new OP, the thread was instead transferred to Ryuu96, who is the current host.

1. Xbox Empire 1.0: 84,551 posts from July 19th, 2013 to June 1st, 2015 for a PPD average of 123.6126
  2. Xbox Empire 2.0: 20,721 posts from May 31st, 2015 to present for a PPD average of 22.3369
Total: 105,272 posts and a PPD average of 64.3457

Conclusion

So, what can be concluded is that that the Xbox community has been the most chatty here. However, what is even more important to note is the massive skew toward mid 2013 to mid 2015, as they had a huge number of posts at that time before dropping dramatically in the following two years. Now, as to whether or not this trend will continue or reverse, we will just have to wait and see!!

Last edited by VGPolyglot - on 15 December 2017

Around the Network

Man, that was more time-consuming than I expected it to be!!

Glad to have helped out both Platina and Cone with the high  res Ninty thread logos.

~~Forever the Metroid Maniac!!

RolStoppable said:
You've collected stats, but you weren't active enough to arrive at the correct conclusion. Or maybe you don't want to say what really happened and led to those numbers.

By the way, you forgot to add the PlayStation Vita thread.

And what is the right conclusion? And yeah, I guess there is the Vita thread, but I consider that to be an off-shoot rather than one of the main threads.

spurgeonryan said:
My first one had a thread crash and instead of allowing me to fix the code Machina closed it. So the next one was reborn.

History is cool.

Then Conegamer came along and improved upon it.

Also around the same time I did my thread there was also the official Wii U thread by Iamawesome and the official 3ds thread by Hapoydolphin who was a replacement alt if padib who then later on went back to being Padib as he is today. And best site friend of theprof.

Yeah, I didn't include the Wii U or 3DS threads as like the PS Vita thread I considered those off-shoots.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
VGPolyglot said:

And what is the right conclusion? And yeah, I guess there is the Vita thread, but I consider that to be an off-shoot rather than one of the main threads.

What happened is that JayWood encouraged everyone to post exclusively in the Xbox thread and have it be a safe haven from the onslaught of negativity caused by Microsoft's braindead Xbox One decisions. The post count of Xbox Empire came at the expense of all other threads in Microsoft Discussion. When JayWood was removed from the site, things began to normalize again.

Well, another reason why discussion dropped dramatically too I believe is that many of the people either went to other sites (like VizionEck as the PS guys did), or started speaking on Skype (and later Discord) instead of the community threads.

VGPolyglot said:
RolStoppable said:

What happened is that JayWood encouraged everyone to post exclusively in the Xbox thread and have it be a safe haven from the onslaught of negativity caused by Microsoft's braindead Xbox One decisions. The post count of Xbox Empire came at the expense of all other threads in Microsoft Discussion. When JayWood was removed from the site, things began to normalize again.

Well, another reason why discussion dropped dramatically too I believe is that many of the people either went to other sites (like VizionEck as the PS guys did), or started speaking on Skype (and later Discord) instead of the community threads.

That's actually the main reason why the original Nintendom slowed down after it got revitalized in early 2015

Cone was still very active during the transition, the switch wasn't because of inactivity ;)

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Platina said:
VGPolyglot said:

That's actually the main reason why the original Nintendom slowed down after it got revitalized in early 2015

Cone was still very active during the transition, the switch wasn't because of inactivity ;)

Hmm, I looked into it and I just found the actual post that Cone made on the reasons for passing it over!

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7290644

Shameful bump.

You did a good job with gathering that. The post rankings are what I thought they would be. Back in the day, ms people had a tendency to remain in their walled garden while everyone else posted in most threads. It's still like that to some degree and most of them moonlight as pc gamers now.