By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Predator V: Loot box, the new breed.

Are you okay with loot boxes being games?

Yes, in any situation 1 5.88%

No, in any situation. 9 52.94%

Yes but only in free-to-play games. 5 29.41%

Yes but only in games rated Mature. 2 11.76%

Total:17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miBaUGPl1Ko

@4:40 new info is brought up. 

I hope the bill gets passed but it needs to changed so it applies to under 18 because of how the rating system works in gaming. 21 is AO so that's too high in my opinion. It would severely limit and discourage loot boxes in general. What do you think of loot boxes and this bill? 

UPDATE :

5 more states join Hawaii in the fight against loot boxes.

Last edited by Aeolus451 - on 20 December 2017

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Is this actually legit? Any real articles to back it up? I don't listen to crackpot youtube conspiracy nuts.

http://fortune.com/2017/12/09/lawmaker-working-to-ban-sale-of-games-with-lootboxes-to-minors/

ugh. I don't know why some of you won't bother watching youtube vids. It had the relevant info in it. 

Ka-pi96 said:
Aeolus451 said:

http://fortune.com/2017/12/09/lawmaker-working-to-ban-sale-of-games-with-lootboxes-to-minors/

ugh. I don't know why some of you won't bother watching youtube vids. It had the relevant info in it. 

Thanks.

Aside from the fact that youtube videos aren't a reputable source (any nutjob can make youtube videos so there's no real difference between one of those "end is near" weirdos shouting on street corners and a person on youtube), it takes more time to watch a video as you can't multitask while doing it, you also can't skim read it or just skip to the pertinent parts (many youtube videos have shitty timewasting opening sequences too), and personally for me I have no speakers for my PC and don't want to have to unplug my headphones from whatever they're currently in just so I can understand what a video is about when I could just read something with no extra effort.

Also, some of us want to laze around at work and that's not possible if you're constantly caught watching youtube videos.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:

Also, some of us want to laze around at work and that's not possible if you're constantly caught watching youtube videos.

That's covered by multitasking. Pretending to work while reading news articles is an example of multitasking that you can't do with videos

Not working while pretending to work is not multi tasking. One goes with the other.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:

Not working while pretending to work is not multi tasking. One goes with the other.

eh, you say tomato and I say tomato

Speaking of tomato, my 9 'o clock burger is delicious.

So where were we? Oh, yeah, lootboxes. I would have no problem if purchasable lootboxes are removed from all games. Which isn't an option in the poll btw. I have nothing against ingame lootboxes, they're exciting. I just don't like when the only way to obtain certain DLC is through lootboxes. It unnecessarily inflates the price.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:

Speaking of tomato, my 9 'o clock burger is delicious.

So where were we? Oh, yeah, lootboxes. I would have no problem if purchasable lootboxes are removed from all games. Which isn't an option in the poll btw. I have nothing against ingame lootboxes, they're exciting. I just don't like when the only way to obtain certain DLC is through lootboxes. It unnecessarily inflates the price.

Fully agreed. Don't really mind lootboxes (I quite enjoy the ones in FIFA ultimate team), it's just an issue when they're the only way to progress and require real money.

Oh and off topic but... why do you have tomato in your burger? Why would you want to ruin the taste of the meat? :O

Tomato belongs on most burgers. Makes the meat even juicier and more savory.

Ka-pi96 said:
Is this actually legit? Any real articles to back it up? I don't listen to crackpot youtube conspiracy nuts.

Topic aside, it's good to hear people weary of the Youtube influence machine. Too many people who used to be ignored on street corners ended up having too much pull over society once they hit social media. 

RJ_Sizzle said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Topic aside, it's good to hear people weary of the Youtube influence machine. Too many people who used to be ignored on street corners ended up having too much pull over society once they hit social media. 

Though this becomes true more and more with traditional media. People can just buy op-eds to spout their nonsense. It's even more dangerous because people assume automatic integrity from traditional media.

Ka-pi96 said:
Aeolus451 said:

Thanks.

Aside from the fact that youtube videos aren't a reputable source (any nutjob can make youtube videos so there's no real difference between one of those "end is near" weirdos shouting on street corners and a person on youtube), it takes more time to watch a video as you can't multitask while doing it, you also can't skim read it or just skip to the pertinent parts (many youtube videos have shitty timewasting opening sequences too), and personally for me I have no speakers for my PC and don't want to have to unplug my headphones from whatever they're currently in just so I can understand what a video is about when I could just read something with no extra effort.

OT: Unless it moves beyond Hawaii I can't see it really affecting lootboxes in games. Really hope it does get bigger though. It isn't going to stop games from being pay to win, but being able to pay one clearly detailed amount for the exact thing you want is still a significant improvement over throwing endless amounts of cash at it hoping to get something worthwhile.

I try to use mainly youtube vids that have citations or what is said can be substantiated. I agree that you can't multitask with vids if you have to actually watch them but with the ones that you can by with just listening are quite useful for multitasking. I'll listen to podcasts/youtube vids when I play games (in dialog heavy parts) or when I'm on forums or while driving. Reading something is better when you just have your phone. 

I think more bills will get passed because of the whole "kids being exposed to predatory gambling practices" bit. Politicians like to get involved in anything that nets them positive PR and it could serve as a decent distraction. Other countries are looking into this and into passing laws banning loot boxes or limiting them. I think that publishers will get the hint and just leave the loot boxes out of their games. Of course, EA will try something else or create something new to nickle and dime us. 

Thread updated.