By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch Sells 10 Million Units Worldwide

DOA
O
A

It is going to outsell WiiU's first year no problem. The question is if it will outsell PS4's first year.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
Miyamotoo said:

This are sold through numbers and most people predicted shipped numbers. Actually Switch sales are currently on pair with PS4 sales in 1st year of PS4, and with rest of December Switch will take out the lead.

Yes it'll take the lead launch aligned for a couple of months, but if it wants to maintain it's lead 2m for it's first november isn't good enough.

I love how, even when you know the context of why that is, you still state it like a dig at Switch.  That's Fox News levels of misleading.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Just saw it. Holy crap, it really is on pace to outsell the WiiU's lifetime sales in its first year :O

Congrats to Nintendo.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Barkley said:
Miyamotoo said:

This are sold through numbers and most people predicted shipped numbers. Actually Switch sales are currently on pair with PS4 sales in 1st year of PS4, and with rest of December Switch will take out the lead.

Yes it'll take the lead launch aligned for a couple of months, but if it wants to maintain it's lead 2m for it's first november isn't good enough.

Why isn't good enough, because maybe cant keep with console that will be second best selling console ever. :D

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Barkley said:

Why isn't good enough, because maybe cant keep with console that will be second best selling console ever. :D

It is good enough, I'm saying it's not good enough if it wants to sell better than the PS4. xD

IkePoR said:
Barkley said:

I love how, even when you know the context of why that is, you still state it like a dig at Switch.  That's Fox News levels of misleading.

By context I assume you mean that the PS4's holiday season (launch-aligned) will roll around in a couple of months time? It's all swings and roundabouts so I'm not really sure what your point is.

All I'm saying is that I believe the Switch needed a better November then this if it hopes to stay within spitting distance of the PS4, and that by Holiday 2018 the Switch may be behind by a distance it will never recover. It needs a strong december, over 3m preferably.

Switch is on fire right now. I have no idea how much they will sell in December as it is highly limited by the number of consoles they are able to ship and also where they ship them. Really they could choose to ship them all to Japan and they would all sell, lol.

Barkley said:
IkePoR said:

By context I assume you mean that the PS4's holiday season (launch-aligned) will roll around in a couple of months time? It's all swings and roundabouts so I'm not really sure what your point is.

All I'm saying is that I believe the Switch needed a better November then this if it hopes to stay within spitting distance of the PS4, and that by Holiday 2018 the Switch may be behind by a distance it will never recover. It needs a strong december, over 3m preferably.

Maybe he means that ps4 had better deals it first full November (2014) or something.

I know... my English sucks.

Nintendo is expecting to ship the same number units of Switch in 2017/early-2018 as 3DS in 2011/early-2012. By the end December 3DS sold around 12 million units and shipped around 15 million units by the end of the fiscal year (March 2011) 3DS was at around 15 million units sold with 17 million shipped. Switch so far is ahead of where 3DS was entering December, so it is on track, at minimum be able to match (hopefully even exceed) 3DS's sold through rate by the end of December. I hope that production issues in Japan and high pricing in US (which may turn off the family and kids base Nintendo is targeting for this holiday season) do not get in the way of that.

Also, I know this is a sales site where people love to see their consoles competing at the expense of one another. However, in all honesty, I would be very happy with all three systems (plus PC) doing well. I don't get the mentality that for Switch to do well it has to outsell PS4. Honestly, I would be content with Switch selling enough units so long as to keep viable in the eyes of Nintendo, major third-party studios (for the times when they have a game that also run on Switch, or having a viable platform to make games around the Switch), and indies so that I can have a viable dedicated handheld system (the prospects of Nintendo dropping out and the only alternative being smartphone gaming for handheld players is depressing to say the least). If PS4 sells better, then kudos to Sony for bringing out a great product with great support and great appeal. Switch does not need to sell better than PS4 to be successful and PS4 does not need to sell better than Switch to be successful. I hope all of them (Switch, PS4, Xbox, PC) do well so that they are all viable and we have vibrant dedicated gaming industry that allows us to play at home and on the go with which ever device we like and get full gaming experiences as opposed to what is unfortunately the alternative on smartphones. I love the Switch and it is my primary gaming device because I play on the go a lot and I love Nintendo's exclusives anywhere (home or on the go), and I also like my PS4, XBONE, and gaming PC for playing when I am at home.