By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - November 2017 NPD Thread! PS4 > XBO > Switch

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
When the official numbers for Switch come out, can someone repost the NPDs for the other systems 1st non launch november? Someone posted it but i dont want it to be lost in comments when real numbers come.

Yep

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
zorg1000 said:
zorg1000 said: 
quickrick said: 

Quickrick said: i said for all we know, i think it's possible. i'm pretty sure 2018 it won't sell as much as 2017 in US, and europe. 3ds peaked it's first year.

Zorg1000 said: There is a massive difference between peak and fall off a cliff.

3DS sales dropped from 13.95 to 13.51, which is like a 3% drop, hardly falling off a cliff.

Quickrick said: falling off a cliff is unlikely, but slowing down in us and europe is very likely, but japan will make up for it.

Heres the post, you agreed that it wont fall off a cliff but will drop somewhat in the west which will be cancelled out by Japan.

What part of that post was him and which was you? I'm really confused by the lack of quote boxes.

Sorry, i fixed it a bit.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Shadow1980 said:
zorg1000 said:
zorg1000 said: 
quickrick said: 

i said for all we know, i think it's possible. i'm pretty sure 2018 it won't sell as much as 2017 in US, and europe. 3ds peaked it's first year.

There is a massive difference between peak and fall off a cliff.

3DS sales dropped from 13.95 to 13.51, which is like a 3% drop, hardly falling off a cliff.

yea falling off a cliff is unlikely, but slowing down in us and europe is very likely, but japan will make up for it.

Heres the post, you agreed that it wont fall off a cliff but will drop somewhat in the west which will be cancelled out by Japan.

What part of that post was him and which was you? I'm really confused by the lack of quote boxes.

jason1637 said:

Do you have a chart for the best Novembers for the console market?

As a matter of fact I do:

As we can see, the list is utterly dominated by the Wii, 360, PS4, & XBO. The only other system to show in the list was the PS2 and PS1, with its 1.3M sold in Nov. 2002 ranking at #5 and it's second-best November being all the way down at #15, with the PS1's best November placing #14. The 360 takes the #2, #4, and #9 positions for 2011, 2010, and 2012, respectively.

Not only does this show how freakishly popular the Wii was, it also shows how important November has become in recent years for PlayStation & Xbox. Prior to 2011, November was a much smaller portion of overall Q4 sales for the two brands. 2011 was when we really started to see aggressive Black Friday promotions, notably the temporary price cuts that are now the norm. While it's hard to say if November's growing importance has come at the expense of December, there's no doubt that November has been on the rise.

Is there is a thread/archive where you keep these charts? Having access to these would be very helpful. Thanks :)

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Shadow1980 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
When the official numbers for Switch come out, can someone repost the NPDs for the other systems 1st non launch november? Someone posted it but i dont want it to be lost in comments when real numbers come.

Here you go (with an error bar on the Switch that assumes 825k ±75k to show the assumed range of 750-900k):

What was November 2013 for XB1 and PS4?

VGPolyglot said:
Shadow1980 said:

Here you go (with an error bar on the Switch that assumes 825k ±75k to show the assumed range of 750-900k):

You do know the OP of this thread has links to all previous NPD threads?

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Ah yeah, I forgot about it. It looks like the PS4 didn't have concrete numbers though, because it was based on Wii U sales that were either 220k or 232k.

VGPolyglot said:
zorg1000 said:

Ah yeah, I forgot about it. It looks like the PS4 didn't have concrete numbers though, because it was based on Wii U sales that were either 220k or 232k.

July 2016 has an accurate chart from Aquamarine for every prior month. All numbers in there are concrete, some numbers might vary slightly due to rounding but they add up to the same total. Wii U did 220k and PS4 1140k.

Shadow1980 said:

So, from what I can gather we're looking at >1.6M for the PS4, >1.3M for the XBO, and the Switch at ~50% of the PS4, maybe a bit more.

First off, this means a record November for combined PlayStation & Xbox sales in the U.S. The previous record was Nov. 2011, which saw the PS3 & 360 sell a combined 2.6M units.

It also means a record-setting November in general for home consoles, perhaps 3.7M units or more between the PS4, XBO, & Switch, beating out the previous record of 3.46M, also set in Nov. 2011 (yeah, the Switch is technically a hybrid, but I'm counting it).

It would also be the #1 best November ever #7 best month overall for the PlayStation brand. And while the XBO might not have set any records for its brand, it did for the XBO itself, and was a very strong month, erasing a huge chunk of the XBO's YoY decline.

Regarding the Switch, while it did not exceed 1 million units like many were assuming, it's worth pointing out that no Nintendo system has ever crossed that threshold its first non-launch window November. The Wii came close with 981k sold in Nov. 2007, followed by the GBA's 929k in Nov. 2001, the 3DS's 765k in Nov. 2011, and the N64's ~760k in Nov. 1997. If the Switch did indeed sell at least 800k, that is not bad at all, especially considering it did not benefit from big Black Friday price cuts. Nintendo typically does a lot better in December than November. Whereas the Nov.-Dec. gap for PlayStation & Xbox narrowed rapidly at the start of this decade with the advent of really aggressive BF deals, this usually hasn't been the case for Nintendo. BF simply isn't as important for Nintendo as it is for PS & Xbox. Given typical Nov.:Dec. ratios for Nintendo systems, it's almost certain we'll see the Switch sell in excess of a million units this month, and it's entirely possible that we could see it sell up to double of what it did in November.

Do you know the 3DS sales for December 2011?

Lawlight said:
Shadow1980 said:

So, from what I can gather we're looking at >1.6M for the PS4, >1.3M for the XBO, and the Switch at ~50% of the PS4, maybe a bit more.

First off, this means a record November for combined PlayStation & Xbox sales in the U.S. The previous record was Nov. 2011, which saw the PS3 & 360 sell a combined 2.6M units.

It also means a record-setting November in general for home consoles, perhaps 3.7M units or more between the PS4, XBO, & Switch, beating out the previous record of 3.46M, also set in Nov. 2011 (yeah, the Switch is technically a hybrid, but I'm counting it).

It would also be the #1 best November ever #7 best month overall for the PlayStation brand. And while the XBO might not have set any records for its brand, it did for the XBO itself, and was a very strong month, erasing a huge chunk of the XBO's YoY decline.

Regarding the Switch, while it did not exceed 1 million units like many were assuming, it's worth pointing out that no Nintendo system has ever crossed that threshold its first non-launch window November. The Wii came close with 981k sold in Nov. 2007, followed by the GBA's 929k in Nov. 2001, the 3DS's 765k in Nov. 2011, and the N64's ~760k in Nov. 1997. If the Switch did indeed sell at least 800k, that is not bad at all, especially considering it did not benefit from big Black Friday price cuts. Nintendo typically does a lot better in December than November. Whereas the Nov.-Dec. gap for PlayStation & Xbox narrowed rapidly at the start of this decade with the advent of really aggressive BF deals, this usually hasn't been the case for Nintendo. BF simply isn't as important for Nintendo as it is for PS & Xbox. Given typical Nov.:Dec. ratios for Nintendo systems, it's almost certain we'll see the Switch sell in excess of a million units this month, and it's entirely possible that we could see it sell up to double of what it did in November.

I believe they were 1.65 million

zorg1000 said:
Lawlight said:

I believe they were 1.65 million

So that’s the benchmark for the Switch. Will be an interesting fight to see.