By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - November 2017 NPD Thread! PS4 > XBO > Switch

Lawlight said:
Mar1217 said:

It wasn't going against a 199$ 4yo console either

Isn’t the console being 4 years old a detriment to that console? And back in 2014, the PS4 was going against the $149 3DS and the $199 WiiU though. And the $330 Xbox One.

Thats nowhere near the same and wiiy wasnt 199 ever

Around the Network
reviniente said:
pastro243 said:
So the adobe report was blown out of proportions after all

I was thinking about this as well. I'll make a point of remembering this tidbit come November NPD 2018.

I wrote about this in great detail in the NPD thread. I advised critical thinking when reading their report and to really consider what they were tracking and what draws people to retail during Black Friday week. 

zorg1000 said:
ThisGuyFooks said:

Or the Switch launching with a retail price of 399$

Remember all the people that said $299 for Switch was way too high and it would fail because of it?

Now all of a sudden its only doing this well because its $299?

*facts

Lawlight said:
Mar1217 said:

It wasn't going against a 199$ 4yo console either

Isn’t the console being 4 years old a detriment to that console? And back in 2014, the PS4 was going against the $149 3DS and the $199 WiiU though. And the $330 Xbox One.

Since this is PS4s peak year obviously its not detrimental.

Wii U was never $199.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
ThisGuyFooks said:

Or the Switch launching with a retail price of 399$

Remember all the people that said $299 for Switch was way too high and it would fail because of it?

I dont remember. And being 299$ is not the Only reason that is doing well, but it certainly helps.

If the Switch would have launched at 399$, we wouldn't be here discussing NPD's.

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
thismeintiel said:

This is good news.  Just not great.  Especially for those who were thinking the Switch would be the next Wii/PS4.  It didn't quite match the PS4's first Nov after launch, even though it was $100 cheaper and had little supply issue.  The PS4, however, did have supply issues that Nov, which caused a XBO victory for that month.  The PS4/Switch gap for 1st Nov could have easily been 200K+ without those issues.

See you i can actually have a conversation with without any biased towards a certain conpany. That said ps4 level of selling power is by far number 1 of any home console/handheld ever made. Yes Wii did well if not better but at the end of the day anything being directly compared to number 1 (especially from people like Lawlight) will always make it seem like it didnt do great.

To answer your question price isnt everything when it comes to gaming. It certainly a factor but again not 100%. Compare the Switch to 3ds for example. 3ds already cut the price and it was almost half of what switch ($170 vs $300) yet switch is coming on top (excluding japan because it still being held back by supply issues)

Things just happen, even if some people were expecting more, its still doing good. Switch is in possibly the best sitution after the SNES any1 can ask for (nintendo). Overlooking this one thing will certainty shake up people in the future

It’s not so much that it didn’t do great but months Nintendo fans have been harping on about how the Switch is killing everything in sight. Even you told me that in October the Switch will have passed the PS4 in the US for this year. And then you look at the prediction thread and everyone has the Switch selling well over a million. Those who didn’t said it will be because of stock issues. You say it’s in the best situation anyone can ask for when Nintendo fans on this forum were expecting it to be in a better position.

zorg1000 said:
Lawlight said:

Since this is PS4s peak year obviously its not detrimental.

Wii U was never $199.

https://heavyeditorial.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/wii-u-skylanders.jpg?quality=65&strip=all

I had it wrong LOL. I will take it for now, HOWEVER, the PS4 was 200 quid. Whatever argument there is after that is pointless. Sony fans gloat too much when they have been losing NPD's month after month to the Switch. That should say enough.

Oh well, we will see next NPD.

tbone51 said:
Lawlight said:

Pretty good. Now let’s put that into context - how much did you predict it would sell in November?

I didnt predict numbers. In my thread i predicted ps4>x1>switch and i was right.

That said what does any1 predictions have to do with an item selling well? According to you pokemon XY sold EXTREMELY well as you only predicted lifetime sales of 12mil and its closing in on 17mil

Did you not predict numbers because of what happened in October?

ThisGuyFooks said:
zorg1000 said:

I dont remember. And being 299$ is not the Only reason that is doing well, but it certainly helps.

If the Switch would have launched at 399$, we wouldn't be here discussing NPD's.

That was the consensus on these boards.

And if Switch was $199 this holiday it would have dominated, we can go back and forth all day on hypothetical situations, it doesnt change reality.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.