By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Could Nintendo's own software be too good?

Bodhesatva said:
DoesWhatNintenDont said:
So does Leonardo da Vinci's work show the lack of lack of talent or skill of other painters and artists, or does it show the brilliance of his own art?

You want a real answer? It shows both.

I'm aware that this is a double edged sword, and totally agree with fishamaphone that the quality of Nintendo's software helps them much, much more than it hurts them. I'm only pointing out that it does have a downside. That's all. 

Fully understood mate. I was just posing a retorical question in order to get my point across.

"There are three types of lies : Lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli ( Made famous by Mark Twain )

PSN ID: DeviantPathways

Wii Number: 0081 3044 1559 2355

Around the Network

Legend11 said:
Bodhesatva said:
Legend11 said:
Bodhesatva said:

This is a serious question. If you don't understand what I mean, let me explain.

I don't think many people would argue with the suggestion that Nintendo has an excellent first party software lineup. The number of titles and franchises in their repertoire is unparalleled. Is it possible that their repertoire is too unparalleled? Simple example: if Resistance: Fall of Man were released on the Wii instead of the PS3, it would be competing against Twilight Princess (which got notably better reviews) and Super Paper Mario (Which got approximately the same reviews). Clearly, a lot of people who only have money for one game would sometimes buy Resistance, but also sometimes buy Zelda or Paper Mario.

By contrast, because it's on the PS3, it has almost no serious competition. No game is really in the same ballpark critically or commercially, and it shows: Resistance has outsold every other game on the PS3 by a fair margin. In short, one could reasonably argue that Resistance (And perhaps other games in the future) will sell better on the PS3 despite the smaller fan base, simply because it has fewer quality games to compete with.

Please note that I am NOT suggesting that people just buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo made games, which I don't agree with, and is historically untrue (3rd parties did quite well on the SNES, which is the last time Nintendo received very strong 3rd party support). Instead, I'm suggesting that people buy Nintendo consoles for good games, just as is the reason to buy any system. The problem is, then, that Nintendo produces so many excellent titles that 3rd party developers might rather produce on a less popular system simply because the number of top-tier titles is lower and thus sales are less diluted amongst them.

Put simplly: one could reasonably argue that the breadth and quality of Nintendo's own software development has a downside. Anyone agree? Or want to pick me apart?

Ever since the N64 it seems like the majority of sales on Nintendo's consoles have been by first and second parties. I think that's why third parties are hesitant to put the kind of time, effort, and money into making a good game for it in fear of it simply not selling well. But when third parties do they can sometimes make games that rival Nintendo's best. Look at Resident Evil 4 for the Gamecube it rivals the best that system had, unfortunately it also didn't sell as well as Capcom hoped so it probably sent a bad message to third parties.

The Wii is a bit different in that it's audience isn't just the core Nintendo fans so maybe third parties will have a better chance of having more success on it (that and the fact it'll sell a lot more than Nintendo's previous two consoles).

As for Resistance, it's actually a pretty good game and I don't think it gets the credit it deserves. I think had it came out on the Gamecube it very likely would be a million seller if not in the top 2 for the system.

Resident Evil 4 did sell well, though. It sold better than the Metroid Primes, all the Pokemon Games, all the Mario Parties... it sold well for a Game Cube game, being that the system comprised approximately 15 percent of the overall gaming market.

Unfortunately it sold *much* less than Resident Evil 1, 2, 3, and even the port of Code Veronica to the PS2 outsold it. To add insult to injury Resident Evil Outbreak for PS2 made with a much smaller budget and meant to be a side game almost outsold it. It was outsold by a lot of very lesser games the year it came out.

Right, I'm not arguing the game sold well by PS2 or PS1 standards. Those consoles had 3x and 6x the install base of the Game Cube, respectively. But for Game Cube standards, it sold quite well. Easy way to show this: Resident Evil 4 is the 8th best selling game on the Game Cube. The highest ranked RE game for PS1 is 9th, and for PS2 is 24th. (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games). 

And again, the last time that Nintendo had the best selling console in a generation (And consequently, had strong 3rd party support), the third parties did quite well. Again, the link: 

http://vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php?name=&console=SNES&publisher=&sort=Total

In case you didn't want to do the math, 30 of the 48 titles that sold over a million copies on the SNES -- or almost 2/3 of those games -- were made by third party publishers. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">