By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Amazon in new markets - tracking Australian Amazon Deals

How competitive is Amazon in your country for gaming?

Incredibly competitive, r... 1 14.29%

Competitive, not excessiv... 1 14.29%

So-so. Occasional great deal 4 57.14%

Meh 0 0%

More expensive than other options 1 14.29%

This is a crap thread Sta... 0 0%

Total:7
mjk45 said:
Lawlight said:

You know there are plenty of other stores out there, right?

The prices on new games look good but they will never be as low as the PSN sale prices.

Yes you could order online locally but the Amazon Australia store was just kindle  books  , my black Friday PSVR bundle was ordered from the US store because the new expanded store wasn't open by then.

Wasn’t it more expensive to buy it from Amazon US?

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
Lawlight said:

The prices on new games look good but they will never be as low as the PSN sale prices.

Of course I do. I work at,  probably,  Amazon's largest competitor. 

But having seen people on this site for years complain about high Australian prices I can only imagine Amazon will change that soon. Maybe not right away as they try to figure out the logistics of shipping to an island country with countless "middle of nowhere" locations. 

You do realise that the supply chains are already there, it's not like all theses goods are new to the market , about your comment about an Island country with countless middle of nowhere locations  Australia is one of the most urbanised countries in the world with around 85% of the population living in the capital cities and shipping goods from china and other manufacturing centres is a  similar distance wise to places like the US.plus some stuff like blu-ray games are  manufactured locally.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 05 December 2017

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Lawlight said:
mjk45 said:

Yes you could order online locally but the Amazon Australia store was just kindle  books  , my black Friday PSVR bundle was ordered from the US store because the new expanded store wasn't open by then.

Wasn’t it more expensive to buy it from Amazon US?

It's very much price dependent , take my PSVR bundle together with a charger bundle and taking into consideration shipping and exchange rates it turned out to be S100 cheaper to order from the US store, the only negative being the shipping time of around  4 weeks, now this was a black Friday deal  and I would not have made sense to me otherwise,so like i stated at the beginning it depends on the items pricing comparison to the Australian price of the same goods taking into consideration, extra costs and how quickly you need that item.

spurgeonryan said:
Lawlight said:

Of course I do. I work at,  probably,  Amazon's largest competitor. 

But having seen people on this site for years complain about high Australian prices I can only imagine Amazon will change that soon. Maybe not right away as they try to figure out the logistics of shipping to an island country with countless "middle of nowhere" locations. 

Amazon won’t change much - Australian pay higher prices for everything. I don’t expect any new game to be cheaper on Amazon.

p0isonparadise said:
Australian best sellers: https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=sv_vg_0/355-2554803-4262139

Switch is the top selling console.

Very nice! If this is the standard price, then it should be the cheapest one out of the other main retailers.

The only good thing about buying it at EbGames, is you could get some good trade value of old games and consoles (if you dont want to sell it online). 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
mjk45 said:

You do realise that the supply chains are already there, it's not like all theses goods are new to the market , about your comment about an Island country with countless middle of nowhere locations  Australia is one of the most urbanised countries in the world with around 85% of the population living in the capital cities and shipping goods from china and other manufacturing centres is a  similar distance wise to places like the US.plus some stuff like blu-ray games are  manufactured locally.

Wow,  I need to realize a lot to be in this thread. 

Yes,  I have an idea that there are stores in Australia .

You do realize Amazon is crushing the retail industry for a reason right?

My reply to you was to show that the impediments to online shopping in Australia are no different to anywhere else, reading your message makes it sound like they are trail blazing Australian online, Amazon will like you said  have an impact just by their size and brand recognition, it just won't be the impact that it would have been if they had come to the market earlier Australian online retailing is a lot more competitive now with local players like Kogan filling the void and  growing at  a fast pace.