By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How much of SE does sony own?

FilaBrasileiro said:
starcraft said:
Sony would not have direct influence over the decisions the board of directors makes. Where it's influence would come from is the board of director's wish to keep the a significant shareholder like Sony happy, without annoying other investors.

Here is what I suspect has happened.

Sony: "Help us out here"

SE: "We'll keep FFXIII and Versus exclusive but you have to shut up and let us do what we want with everything else."

Sony: "We'll do whatever you want, just put out FFXIII ASAP"

Please, PLEASE tell me this is a joke post.

Why would it be?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
FilaBrasileiro said:
Kasz216 said:
FilaBrasileiro said:
naznatips said:
To put this topic to rest:

If 8% meant ANYTHING, then DQIX would not be on the Nintendo DS. Nor would the DS have 3X the development support of the PSP.
Because Sony voted PS3 development and the others voted DS? 8.6% is very significant in a company that big, I can only wish I had 8.6% voting power on a big company.

How do you vote with nonvoting stock? Unless they got voting rights in the merger? Which would make like... no sense.

As I recall the 20% they bought in square was non voting stock. Part of the deal, that was really just a cash flush for Square who was hurting after bad buisness decisions.

All sony could do is threaten to unload it all in one move hurting their short term stock prices.

All of the actual voting shares still are in the hands of the founders of Square and Enix.

You can have 48% of the stock and if it's all nonvoting you ain't got any say in anything. The stock sale was just a way for Sony to bail out square when they were in financial straights in return for short term game support.

Humm as far as I know, very few companies sell voting and non voting stock, and besides, Sony bought 18 - 19% common shares of Square, which now is about 8.6% common shares of SE, common shares = voting share.

Dude Square said themselves at the time of the deal that the selling of stock had no influence on where games went.

That was back when they had the 2nd largest amount in the company. It was a pure captial injection deal that Square went to sony and Sony agreed to because they were afraid of a hostile takeover from microsoft.

Even if it was voting stock it's not like they vote on every day to day thing about the company, all it would give them any voting rights on are members of the board, who themselves would decide where things go... and the current members of the board have more then enough stock to be the controlling inerest.

After all the biggest holder of Square-Enix stock is afterall the founder of Enix.

HappySqurriel said:

Does anyone know for sure that Sony still owns any of Square-Enix? Was their stock listed on Sony's balance sheet in their last financial statement?

It's on Square's latest financial statements.  Of course ahead of them is the founder of Enix... and a company i'd assume run by the founder of enix absed on the name.

Below them a couple other big holders are trust accounts. Others are banks... though ones still doing fairly well like JP Morgran.

Well and Miyamoto. Who went from having 40% of Square to 7.1% of Square Enix. Probably explains why he kept negotiating for more share equity. He wanted to get rid of his. The orginal offer was like.. .81% and they got it up to like 86% desptie them being the ones who were lobbying Enix who were really shakey on the idea.

Plenty of companies hold stocks in related buisnesses just to collect dividends.

I mean, EA owns some of Ubisofts stock for example. Well before they went on a buyout spree.

starcraft said:
FilaBrasileiro said:
starcraft said:
Sony would not have direct influence over the decisions the board of directors makes. Where it's influence would come from is the board of director's wish to keep the a significant shareholder like Sony happy, without annoying other investors.

Here is what I suspect has happened.

Sony: "Help us out here"

SE: "We'll keep FFXIII and Versus exclusive but you have to shut up and let us do what we want with everything else."

Sony: "We'll do whatever you want, just put out FFXIII ASAP"

Please, PLEASE tell me this is a joke post.

Why would it be?

Because anyone should know that that's not really how the stock world works. 

Kasz216 said:
FilaBrasileiro said:
Kasz216 said:
FilaBrasileiro said:
naznatips said:
To put this topic to rest:

If 8% meant ANYTHING, then DQIX would not be on the Nintendo DS. Nor would the DS have 3X the development support of the PSP.
Because Sony voted PS3 development and the others voted DS? 8.6% is very significant in a company that big, I can only wish I had 8.6% voting power on a big company.

How do you vote with nonvoting stock? Unless they got voting rights in the merger? Which would make like... no sense.

As I recall the 20% they bought in square was non voting stock. Part of the deal, that was really just a cash flush for Square who was hurting after bad buisness decisions.

All sony could do is threaten to unload it all in one move hurting their short term stock prices.

All of the actual voting shares still are in the hands of the founders of Square and Enix.

You can have 48% of the stock and if it's all nonvoting you ain't got any say in anything. The stock sale was just a way for Sony to bail out square when they were in financial straights in return for short term game support.

Humm as far as I know, very few companies sell voting and non voting stock, and besides, Sony bought 18 - 19% common shares of Square, which now is about 8.6% common shares of SE, common shares = voting share.

Dude Square said themselves at the time of the deal that the selling of stock had no influence on where games went.

That was back when they had the 2nd largest amount in the company. It was a pure captial injection deal that Square went to sony and Sony agreed to because they were afraid of a hostile takeover from microsoft.

Even if it was voting stock it's not like they vote on every day to day thing about the company, all it would give them any voting rights on are members of the board, who themselves would decide where things go... and the current members of the board have more then enough stock to be the controlling inerest.

After all the biggest holder of Square-Enix stock is afterall the founder of Enix.

Do you have a link saying that Sony bought non voting shares? I'm pretty sure they bought common shares, but I might be wrong.

And I never said they voted everyday, but I feel fairly confident that they would vote on stuff like where a game would go. 

Around the Network

If they did vote, they totally screwed themselves up the ass by letting DQ9 go to the DS.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"