By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Donald Trump: How Do You Feel about Him Now? (Poll)

Last November,

I supported him and I still do - Americas 91 15.77%

I supported him and I now don't - Americas 16 2.77%

I supported him and I still do - Europe 37 6.41%

I supported him and I now don't - Europe 7 1.21%

I supported him and I still do - Asia 6 1.04%

I supported him and I now don't - Asia 1 0.17%

I supported him and I still do - RoW 15 2.60%

I supported him and I now don't - RoW 2 0.35%

I didn't support him and still don't. 373 64.64%

I didn't support him and now do. 29 5.03%

Total:577
Nymeria said:
Final-Fan said: 

Along with the economic boom, the biggest reason it was balanced in the late 90s with split control is because Democrats singlehandedly (zero R votes) raised taxes in an effort to balance the budget and got murdered for it in the next election cycle (1994).  Ever since, they haven't had the courage to be responsible.  (And large numbers of them don't even want to—they're in fantasyland with most Republicans.) 

It's due to framing of how Americans view taxes.  It is seen as money being taken away rather than invested into the society.  I've tried to explain the merits of medicare for all in the US, but I get a lot of resistance from people who'd rather pay insurance companies than a tax.  Oddest part is some of these people will admit they are looking forward to being on medicare when they are of age, but still don't want it expanded.  I think attitudes are changing, but be on young (under 40) people to vote in large numbers to see a shift in mentality.

That's painted by how easily observable it is at how badly the government handles everything. Hard to trust when the end product is always worse. Even in commonly accept public services, it's hard not to think that just about anyone could do a better job at it.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Nymeria said:

It's due to framing of how Americans view taxes.  It is seen as money being taken away rather than invested into the society.  I've tried to explain the merits of medicare for all in the US, but I get a lot of resistance from people who'd rather pay insurance companies than a tax.  Oddest part is some of these people will admit they are looking forward to being on medicare when they are of age, but still don't want it expanded.  I think attitudes are changing, but be on young (under 40) people to vote in large numbers to see a shift in mentality.

That's painted by how easily observable it is at how badly the government handles everything. Hard to trust when the end product is always worse. Even in commonly accept public services, it's hard not to think that just about anyone could do a better job at it.

After all, when the private sector is allowed to do whatever it wants, systemic problems simply don't arise.  And there aren't certain areas where economy of scale improves either. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:
outlawauron said:

After all, when the private sector is allowed to do whatever it wants, systemic problems simply don't arise.  And there aren't certain areas where economy of scale improves either. 

Doesn't change the perception of general incompetence. 

China is strikeing back now (to trump's tarifs)...... trade war is started.

outlawauron said:
Nymeria said:

In cases where the private sector is better I am fully in favor of it.  To me the question in every sector of a society should be, "Where are we ranked? If someone is better at it, how, and can we emulate their success?"

The idea of quitting because it is hard goes against who I think we should strive to be as a people.  We created NASA and did the seemingly impossible task of the Apollo missions.  We have a massive economy, it is not beyond us to find better ways at healthcare, education, and infrastructure where we lag far behind many countries who have less resources.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
JRPGfan said:
China is strikeing back now (to trump's tarifs)...... trade war is started.

Prepare to get our asses kicked.

China has a trade imbalance in their favor, a growing local market for their own goods and a massive trump card known as US debt ownership.  The Donald is so in over his head on this that he needs a telescoping periscope to take a peak on China's level.

Saw a economist say he thought US and China fighting a trade-war, could benefit europe.
But yeah I dont think the US will come out the winner of this thing.

Nymeria said:
outlawauron said:

In cases where the private sector is better I am fully in favor of it.  To me the question in every sector of a society should be, "Where are we ranked? If someone is better at it, how, and can we emulate their success?"

The idea of quitting because it is hard goes against who I think we should strive to be as a people.  We created NASA and did the seemingly impossible task of the Apollo missions.  We have a massive economy, it is not beyond us to find better ways at healthcare, education, and infrastructure where we lag far behind many countries who have less resources.

Well, by that same token, the best schools and doctors in the world are in the US, but the bottom level of care and education is so much lower than the rest of the 1st world. That averages out to the US being pretty mediocre in those rankings. Unless the federal government has strong control over local schools (much like China has much tighter controls in place for schools), then a place as large as the US will never be top 5 in education. Far too much disparity in singular cities, much less the quality differences state by state.

The same follows with infrastructure. States that have prioritized it and used federal funding well have done very well at keeping themselves in check. Other states completely squander it and can't even plan for next week, much less how to prepare for growth of years to come.

outlawauron said:
Nymeria said:

Well, by that same token, the best schools and doctors in the world are in the US, but the bottom level of care and education is so much lower than the rest of the 1st world. That averages out to the US being pretty mediocre in those rankings. Unless the federal government has strong control over local schools (much like China has much tighter controls in place for schools), then a place as large as the US will never be top 5 in education. Far too much disparity in singular cities, much less the quality differences state by state.

The same follows with infrastructure. States that have prioritized it and used federal funding well have done very well at keeping themselves in check. Other states completely squander it and can't even plan for next week, much less how to prepare for growth of years to come.

Kentucky resident: Here's what we go through for clean water : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsvwEANWsZU

Teacher: I make more money mowing lawns (oklahoma) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4cseV720kY
Oklahoma teacher strike: 'I have 29 textbooks for 87 pupils' : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQyW5X7IGIQ

red states right? that vote republican.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 03 April 2018

outlawauron said:
Nymeria said:

And I 'll agree it does ultimately fall upon us as an electorate to hold elected officials accountable and demand that better society we want.  Had a lot of marches here lately, but none of it will matter if come November people endorse the current course.  We should demand better not just of our leaders, but of ourselves.

outlawauron said:
Nymeria said:

Saw a interview with Arnold swarzenegger, hes a republican but even he thinks there should be more weight put on education.
He said something like in terms of economics the USA was #1/2, but in terms of education they are #36th, which he considers a travesty. Goes into how theres millions of jobs out there, but no one to fill them because they lack the educations to take them.