By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FFXV to add "Character Swap" function in December update. At least 3 more DLC story expansions coming

Ka-pi96 said:
hmm, so a feature that should have been in the game from the start is finally being added? It's not a paid update though.... right?

Indeed. Seems odd that this wasn't there to begin with. I still haven't played it. Heck, I just learned it has a season pass. Gross.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

Too little too late for me. Likely never going back to the game.

This news made me really happy. I'm planning to go for a 2nd platinum one everything has been released(Since USA and EU FFXV have separate trophy lists).

Shadow1980 said:
Square needs to just go back to turn-based for FFXVI. The genre is over-saturated with action RPGs. I know that's the "in thing," especially with the massive resurgence of Western RPGs, which are typically action-based, but honestly, I don't like how turn-based has been seemingly treated like a pariah by many developers and gamers and this trend-chasing after real-time action-based combat is given a free pass. Some of the RPGs that still get ranked among the best ever were turn-based titles from the 90s. If it was good for Chrono Trigger, every Final Fantasy up through FFX, Earthbound, and Dragon Quest, why isn't any good for more recent games? Pokemon seems to be the only turn-based RPG that doesn't get the stink eye for being turn-based. We have The Witcher, Elder Scrolls, Souls-like games, Nier, and every shooter RPG from Mass Effect to Fallout. Why can't Final Fantasy remain the one big-name old-school RPG not named "Pokemon" that sticks to tradition by remaining turn-based?

Because for a lot of people it is hard to feel involved in a turn-based game, and turn-based games - at their worst - become nothing more than pressing the select button or luck based chance. It can also feel like a lack of skill is involved, I feel that it is generally harder to make the player feel like they are progressing from a skill standpoint in a turn based RPG than it is in an action RPG(although worst of all is when a real-time game does not require skill but merely stats, *cough cough* breath of the wild). I'm not an RPG expert, and obviously there is a reason why so many turn-based RPGs are well regarded to this day, but I think these are the main reasons as to why there's been a massive switch over to action oriented titles.

It's also harder to market a game with footage of turn based combat vs. action oriented combat