By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DF: LA Noire: Switch vs PS3/PS4/Xbox One X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ljTX9R5QhA

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-la-noire-switch-port-tested

Switch version is somewhere between PS3 and PS4 version, compared to PS3 version runs at higher resolution (1920x1080-1440-1080p compared to 720p on PS3, better shadows, has most of better textures, and better shading extends to ambient occlusion). But there are also some drownbacks even compared to PS3 version, it has worse frame rate and has lower draw distance.

But DF did wrote that game was built with PS3 Cell CPU in mind:

Tthe original LA Noire was built on a custom engine designed with PlayStation 3's Cell processor in mind, and this version was the preferred console edition back in the day. It was quite a sight: PS3 managed to run a massive open-world built around an impressive facsimile of Los Angeles, with fully functioning day-night cycles, weather, physics, wandering NPCs and traffic systems. All this meant a heavy reliance on the machine's unique synergistic processing units - SPUs - and the end result is that the Switch version, reliant on just three available ARM CPU cores operating at 1GHz, can suffer from some obvious drawbacks.

In any case, it's another good Switch port that could be further improved with same patches.

Around the Network

TL;DW:
- Docked Switch version uses a dynamic resolution range of 1440x1080 to 1920x1080, handheld mode 960x720 to 1280x720.
- PS4 version is locked at 1920x1080, X1X a full 4k. The Pro and X1 aren't mentioned, but if i remember correctly they run at a native 4k and 1080p too.
- Switch version falls "very short" of the PS4 version's textures, but they are a nice step up from the PS3.
- Shadows are softer (better) on the Switch than the PS3, and further improved on the PS4.
- Draw distance on the Switch is lower than on the PS3, further cut back in handheld mode.
- LoD transitions are handled better on the PS3 than Switch.
- Reflections run at 15fps on the Switch and PS3, and at 30fps + at a higher resolution on the PS4.
- All versions run distant NPCs at 15fps.
- PS4 version is a solid 30fps, Switch version runs at 20 - 30fps (often drops below the PS3 during stress points).
- Frame-rate drops on the Switch cause slow-down, rather than the frames just being skipped like on the PS3.

All in all it seems like a decent remaster. The Switch's CPU seems to be a significant bottleneck, but the end result isn't too bad. As noted in the video, even with the drawbacks it's an ambitious release for portable hardware.

FPS dips and shorter draw distance are unfortunate setbacks since they have the biggest effect on gameplay. Texture quality and shadows were already great on PS3. But it's a good game to have as a remaster.

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

- Single-player Game

ok. I'm beginning to notice a general here.

is it just me or does DF seem to act like the XB1s doesn't exist? I mean call me crazy but right now over 90% of the XBox community owns an XB1/XB1s.....

30 fps on somy lazy ass remaster..nah pass.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:

is it just me or does DF seem to act like the XB1s doesn't exist? I mean call me crazy but right now over 90% of the XBox community owns an XB1/XB1s.....

Seems like they go with weakest (NSW), middle (PS4) & strongest (XBX).

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Intrinsic said:

so you mean they are acting like microsoft this whole year?