By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Battlefront 2 could be one of the most influential FPS games

I remember a few year back this article was posted on the site.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/87936/the-7-most-influential-first-person-shooters-of-all-time/

Since then, I've always wondered what would be the next game to come along and such an impact on the genre, and I'm starting to think that Star Wars Battlefront II may be that game. Not because if any revolutionary steps forward in gameplay, but that it could yet prove to be the game that kills the business model of microtransactions, or at least reels them in in such a way that restrains how intrusive they've become.

I could yet be proved wrong, as while the games physical sales are way down the downloaded sales are unknown at present, and its been out for less than a week. Any thoughts, or am I just getting way ahead of myself?

Around the Network

It may have *some* influence on future gaming, but I doubt it's really going to change a lot.

I'm kinda happy it failed though. Maybe that isn't a nice thing to say, but games like these really don't deserve good sales.

I doubt it will be remembered as an influential game on the FPS genre, but it will definitely be remembered as the straw that broke the camel's back when it comes to pushing gamers with MT's and loot boxes.

I don't see the outcome bearing good changes for us though. Now that the law/government wants to step in, I fear we may be seeing regulations being placed upon our games in the near future, a cycle that will likely have no end to it.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

This has got me thinking, mobile games aside, what was the first game (both FOS and otherwise) to bring in microtransactions? I remember Mass Effect 3 having them, but prior that I don't remember noticing them, although I'm pretty sure ME3 wasn't the first.

What with the potential of this doing worse than the first (I'm sure they were expecting to sell lots more), and the fact that Need for Speed flopped (and was ram full of micro transactions), good news all around.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network

I'm thinking that even if lootboxes or microtransactions are regulated or deemed as gambling, that there's no way publishers are just going to stop at that. They'll surely try to do something to make up for that lost revenue if they can.

VGPolyglot said:
I'm thinking that even if lootboxes or microtransactions are regulated or deemed as gambling, that there's no way publishers are just going to stop at that. They'll surely try to do something to make up for that lost revenue if they can.

They can just sell the skin the player wants directly but with a much higher price than a loot box in order to offset the fact the player will just buy it once.