By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I want to walk from New York to California

Hi everyone.

Back in April I decided to do a 286 km relay walk from Copenhagen to Aarhus to raise awareness about loneliness and mental health here in Denmark.
The concept was; that under no circumstances was I allowed to walk, unless accompanied by another person. I wanted to emphasize the importance of human interaction, social responsibility and community. Luckily for me more than 70 people chose to support my cause by either walking with me or offering me accommodation and food. The project was very successful as it got the attention of the media.

My question to you guys are, do you think it is even possible to do something like this across the states? 

Last edited by LordLichtenstein - on 05 December 2017

Around the Network

It's possible, but it sounds like a very time-consuming and costly experience. You'd also have to have a very good sense of direction and know the routes that can be taken.

VGPolyglot said:
It's possible, but it sounds like a very time-consuming and costly experience. You'd also have to have a very good sense of direction and know the routes that can be taken.

I want to see if I can do it within a year. Yeah, but that is what sponsors are for :)
I will use a GPS for direction.

That's around 2900 miles, or 4660 kilometers

I'm not criticizing your plan, but it'll be much tougher...A LOT. Realize that the United States is massive, and that there is no way to reasonably walk from NY to Cali due to your route probably being the middle of nowhere for a lot of it.

LordLichtenstein said:
VGPolyglot said:

I want to see if I can do it within a year. Yeah, but that is what sponsors are for :)
I will use a GPS for direction.

Have you heard of Terry Fox? That's what it reminds me of.

Around the Network

I imagine crossing the deserted areas will be a challenge.

This would indeed be a costly project, so i wish you luck. You will need alot of resources to make it happen.

Actually, how did you even walk from Aarhus to Copenhagen? You must have taken a ferry or something, to get onto the island.

It's certainly possible. You wouldn't be the first to do it. It's about 3000 miles. People have done it (according to the internet) in general taking somewhere in the vicinity of 6 months.

Not only is it possible, but it has happened. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_have_walked_across_the_United_States

Better get started. We’ll be waiting here for you.