By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Previews (Eurogamer preview in!)

epicurean said:
Thanks for the post. I'm strongly considering this game, but I was completely lost in the "Story" trailer - is it going to be super hard to follow, like, say Final Fantasy XIII, or be fairly straightforward? If I'm playing a long RPG, I need to know what's going on.

I only viewed the GameXplain and Dualshockers previews but it seems the game does a good job reminding you stuff about sidequests so here's to hope the story also is easy to follow although it being a Xeno game get ready for some messed up stuff...

Around the Network
irstupid said:
Wouldn't get too excited. Previews always make every game look like a 90+ game.
Not to mention your two links are huge Nintendo sites. Slight bias may be involved.

Indeed, I still remember all the praise Sonic Lost World got, even being touted by some as superior to 3D World. We all saw how that unraveled!

Still, 90+ is possible if it lives up to the highs of the first game, but I have a gut feeling it wont be quite as awesome.

aikohualda said:
OTBWY said:
The gameplay and world look fine to me as far as what they've shown. I just hope the story grips me like the first one. I really disliked the story of XbX.

the story of XBX was good for me until they introduced the characters stories... i was like... WTF these are the finest people they got!????

but the world and gameplay was outstanding....if they can improve the gameplay and world/exploration... even if they give me a shitty story i will be ok with it (as long as it is not too repetitive like bravely default-story)

The main problem of that game is the story, and the problem of the story is two-fold: The bad decision to make the main character a custom character that is silent and more of a spectator, and lastly, generally not great developed characters. Of all the characters, only Lao was the interesting one. Elma had the personality of a wet carrot, and Lin was.. well.. 

OTBWY said:
aikohualda said:

the story of XBX was good for me until they introduced the characters stories... i was like... WTF these are the finest people they got!????

but the world and gameplay was outstanding....if they can improve the gameplay and world/exploration... even if they give me a shitty story i will be ok with it (as long as it is not too repetitive like bravely default-story)

The main problem of that game is the story, and the problem of the story is two-fold: The bad decision to make the main character a custom character that is silent and more of a spectator, and lastly, generally not great developed characters. Of all the characters, only Lao was the interesting one. Elma had the personality of a wet carrot, and Lin was.. well.. 

wet carrot lives matter LOL

funny but true...

i liked gwin and irina the most... but they themselves are also bland

aikohualda said:
OTBWY said:

funny but true...

The weak plot also doesn't help. It was basically: Search for these parts, but fight bad guys first, find big part, but fight bad guys first. The ending was also so abrupt. "It's this planet!!" and then... nothing.

Around the Network
OTBWY said:
aikohualda said:

funny but true...

The weak plot also doesn't help. It was basically: Search for these parts, but fight bad guys first, find big part, but fight bad guys first. The ending was also so abrupt. "It's this planet!!" and then... nothing.

Yea felt like half a game. There were two moments really in the game and that was it.

1. The first time you learn of mimeosomes

2. The ending, which felt like the next twist in the game that should lead to the true ending. But nope, its just done.

The rest of the game is just as you said, you are just finding random stuff for citizens (side questy stuff) or searching for the lifehold the whole time.

If there was another 20 hours of story after the "to be continued" ending, the game would have been a million times better. Oh and a silent protag is just stupid. It works in games where you are a solo person like Link or Samus, but not in a rpg like this.

irstupid said:
OTBWY said:

Yea felt like half a game. There were two moments really in the game and that was it.

2. The ending, which felt like the next twist in the game that should lead to the true ending. But nope, its just done.

The rest of the game is just as you said, you are just finding random stuff for citizens (side questy stuff) or searching for the lifehold the whole time.

If there was another 20 hours of story after the "to be continued" ending, the game would have been a million times better. Oh and a silent protag is just stupid. It works in games where you are a solo person like Link or Samus, but not in a rpg like this.

they should just record multiple voice actors to choose for the look you design... heck i would've settled for tomodachi voice :P

There is a reddit from a german reviewer that he is anwering some question.Its an interesting read, if you wish to have some of your fears adressed

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xenoblade_Chronicles/comments/7d5su6/i_got_a_review_copy_of_xenoblade_chronicles_2_i/

He also says that the resolution on handheld mode is poor, but I think he is exagerating a bit, because none of the other previews says its that bad.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

irstupid said:
OTBWY said:

Right. The reason why Xenoblade imo was so successful was A: The company of characters with good personalities and backgrounds and B: Shulk as the main character, who was generally a good emotional protagonist that you empathized with right from the beginning. His interaction with the other characters is what made it, Star Wars-y, for lack of a better way to explain it.

I'm genuinely excited for this game. I can't believe Monolith Soft got this game out in the time frame that they did, especially considering that they also helped a considerable amount on Breath of the Wild. What a talented development studio.