By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is the oldest game you played in 2017

Ultima 1 - 1981

Around the Network

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (DC)

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Gran Turismo 1, which i think feels better than Part 2. A lot of Road Rash 64. Controls are smooth and precise. It drives like a slow F-Zero. Very nice. Command and Conquer Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert via OpenRA which i totally recommend. Better than "The Red Alert" (also totally recommended).

daaave said:
Gran Turismo 1, which i think feels better than Part 2. A lot of Road Rash 64. Controls are smooth and precise. It drives like a slow F-Zero. Very nice. Command and Conquer Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert via OpenRA which i totally recommend. Better than "The Red Alert" (also totally recommended).

I was about to reply to your controls precise and smooth then realized you were talking about Road Rash not Ridge Racer 64.  Now I really want to hunt down a Road Rash 64 cart.  I tried firing up Ridge Racer 64 a few weeks back and then sat there wondering for 5-10 mins how the hell I ever grasped the controls for the game when I was younger.

Finally got to play through Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl this year (been playing with mods for years) and that game is from 2007.

Also does Odin Sphere Leifthrasir Remaster count.? That game is from ps2 era and i finished it this year aswell:D

Around the Network
Hiku said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I did. What was it you were grinding for? Levels, or?
Also make sure to check both endings of the game. There's a good and bad ending, and only one of them is canon, as it carried on into the sequel.
Random fact; the reason Shadow Hearts looks a bit underwhelming graphically, especially compared to the sequel, is because it was originally designed to be a PS1 game, but they moved it over to PS2 late in development.

I saw that it will take hours of fighting before I get to the end and felt like it would be a waste of my time. I watched both endings.

I knew it was designed for PS1, especially the battle arenas give it away.

I rate this game with solid 8/10

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

This thread also reminded me that I was playing Vagrant Story early on too (from 2000), but I stopped playing halfway through. As much as I liked the game, I honestly still have no clue about some of its mechanics, and I got to a point where it didn't matter how I upgraded my equipment or what magic/elements I'd use, I would deal next to zero damage to enemies. It got way too tedious and I swear I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.

Just last night I was playing bomberman (1983) on my NES. I regularly play old games to keep my consoles in rotation.

Wright said:

This thread also reminded me that I was playing Vagrant Story early on too (from 2000), but I stopped playing halfway through. As much as I liked the game, I honestly still have no clue about some of its mechanics, and I got to a point where it didn't matter how I upgraded my equipment or what magic/elements I'd use, I would deal next to zero damage to enemies. It got way too tedious and I swear I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.

Same with Xenogears :D

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

I think Link's Awakening. DX, so 1998. I don't know maybe I played something else this year but don't remember playing anything particularly old this year. I certainly didn't play on my old consoles.