By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - So I got my first gaming computer now.

Random_Matt said:
FloatingWaffles said:

Ah, okay. Thanks for the help! One more question if you don't mind, cause I forgot to ask about this as well. When playing games on a laptop, there's a difference between playing it plugged in and unplugged, where as it obviously runs games better when plugged in. The Nvidia driver thing even has different optimization options for plugged/unplugged gameplay.

Is it bad to just leave it plugged in all the time when gaming then even if it's already at full charge, because otherwise I see no reason to ever really play any games with it unplugged if it won't run as well as when it's plugged in. I don't want to damage the laptop or battery or anything by leaving it plugged in all the time though. (if that's possible I mean , like can it overheat or damage the battery/hardware from that? I do have a big cooling pad with 4 fans under my laptop to hopefully keep it cooled down). 

By default your laptop will be on balanced power, running games will run at max, and normal stuff such as internet surfing will limit power to save the battery. You can change this stuff though, personally if you are at home, always keep it plugged in while gaming.

The only thing which will degrade over time is the battery, all batteries do, your components won't be damaged by over use of plugging in. Your laptop should be fine, unless you ever bought a shitty Aorus which always hit's 90c on the CPU.

I had no idea what Aorus was anyway until I looked it up lol. But yeah, i'll probably just keep it plugged in majority of the time when gaming then so it can run at max. I'll just make sure to unplug it when i'm not gaming  so that way it's not plugged in 24/7 or just shut it down. That should be fine then, right? Thanks for the help. 

Around the Network

Having a good gaming computer is always like waking up in the next generation early, enjoy its really one of the best ways to game, altough its not for everyone.

I love PC gaming but I still find myself on PS4 and Xbox often because of the physical media and my love for that, but In my opinion the future is PC with digital taking over and thats the reason for me to always own a good gaming PC. Also some games, like FPS and fast action games really need that 60fps and they often don't have it on consoles.

Twitter @CyberMalistix

"Got"?! i hope to god you built it! cause off the shelf PC's deserve no #PCMasterRace Cred!
Specs: It's a laptop with a Geforce GTX 1050ti, Core i7-7700HQ@ 2.80Ghz, 8GB Ram, etc., and ok.. a laptop, so you're ok.. building a laptop is kinda non-existant :D

1) What ballpark of games am I looking at being able to run on this thing?
here is a review on your GPU:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti,4787.html

2) Sort of similar to the first question but are the specs I have good, like where do they lie on terms of power.
I'm not familiar with the 1050 models, i think it is a 'mobile' GPU.. that is, not as cool as the desktop models (1060,70&80 with the 1080 beeing the badass expensive shit)

3) What are "Drivers"/what are they for?
drivers are the things that makes the operating-system able talk to the hardware, the manufacturer of hardware provide drivers to OS creators. Nvidia can make optimisations to drivers to make something work faster in a certain game i.e. , and you might need to update drivers cause some bug makes somthing not work.. certain games might need you to have version X or newer of a driver..
All in all, you might need to work a bit for a game to work sometimes.. it is not as often as i might make it seem thoughg. and updating is pretty semless if you install the Geforce experience software (it will notify you when new drivers are available)

4) Is there anything I should be doing to make sure it stays in top shape?
update drivers.. update OS, don't install too many programs you don't need.. keep them away from auto-starting all the time..

just quick 2 cents.. i am more than willing to go into details more if needed.. i'm a PC guy :D i'm @ work atm. and i gotta start doing what i should be doing and not typing here :D

3DS FC# 4553-9947-9017 NNID: Bajablo

Torn-City - MMO text based RPG, join me! :)

congrats, enjoy the new experiences, but I have to confess here... my heart broke when I read you bought the 1050 TI

the gpu will be limiting on a lot of newer and AAA games, but you'll just drop the resolution, turn off AA and games will still be playable.

regarding the laptop staying plugged in, well it kind of has to. otherwise the CPU and GPU will be throttled even further and pretty much games will be unplayable. if the main function for it is to be a gaming machine, don't worry about the battery. it's going to be ass no matter what you do.

Welcome to the master race.

Around the Network
FloatingWaffles said:

[...]

4) Is there anything I should be doing to make sure it stays in top shape? 

Again i'm not new to PC gaming or anything this is just the first time I have a computer that has good hardware dedicated to playing games so i'm taking it more seriously lol. 

Welcome back to the Master Race, and gratz for your purchase.

Two Windows tricks that never get old are: making a partition just for the swap file and looking for services (you can find a lot of lists on Internet) that can be disabled or set to run just on demand and not always on by default.
Clean the registry every now and then, and after every uninstall and before every new install (both of games or other programs) but don't set the utility to always run in the background, it would be another thing running and using RAM and CPU, besides that each additional service running can increase security vulnerabilities and very recently a registry cleaning utility update was found to introduce a dangerous exploitable hole.
Deciding in which partitions or directories indexing is better on or off is trickier, but if you want, you can find a lot of guides about it too.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Make sure to check out PC exclusives like Civ 5/6, Homeworld Remastered, Grey Goo, Total War series, Anno series, Age of Empires series etc. and see if some of them are up your alley.

Also make sure to check out gog.com in addition to Steam.

Have fun!

Congrats on your purchase, I hope it gives you penty hours of fun.

While your 1050Ti isn't the most powerful option on the market, it's more than enough to handle current games at 1080p at mid-to-high settings. Whenever you see a game listing a GTX 660 on their minimum required specs, you'll be fine.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

congrats, but please don't associate yourself with the joke, "PC master race".

with those specs you've got nothing to worry about for a very long time. Just keep the drivers updated, and to keep it in top shape just make sure all the airways are clear, like don't use it on a bed mattress for example. I recommend a cooling pad.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5