By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Doom for Switch Reviews - 78 Metacritic (45 critics)

Zekkyou said:
Goodnightmoon said:
It doesn't matter if the critics don't take the portability as a plus because the public will.

Most of the reviews (at least those in English that i can check) do appear to consider portability a plus, some of them just consider the visual and frame-rate compromises to be a bigger negative. 30fps in particular in an understandable sticking point for a twitch shooter like DOOM. Some will share those grievances, others won't.

I don't get why Doom is a twitch shooter. It's a single player game shooting demons. I've played doom a ton of times, and I think every Doom except this one.

No idea on what their FPS where, but don't see why it has to be a twitch one. It's a mostly offline single player solo adventure story FPS.

Not saying 60fps isn't always better than 30 when talking shooters. Just feel the need for 60 fps in say Destiny is more important than in Doom due to its competitive nature.

Around the Network

If I were a reviewer, this is how my review score would probably have been.

MY SCORE FROM BEFORE (Lets say 85, since avg)
+ Portability (score slightly or massively raised due to this, depending on how much enjoyment portability brings to game)
- Visiuals/FPS (Score slightly down due to game not looking as great as other versions)
- Delayed release (Regardless of how cool a game is, I've already played it so subconsciously my less enjoyment would lower score)
- Controls (If I reviewed PC version, then Switch is docked for shitty controls. Less docked if Gyro is implemented)

So in the end my score would be lower than what I rated the PS4/PC/One version. Probably around an 80.

I don't know what review scores are for the 4 platforms, but PC better be the highest. Not only does it look the best, and by a mile. The PC to PS4 is almost as big a diff as PS4 to Switch. Then add in controls of keyboard/mouse vs dual analog and it is clearly a superior version.

irstupid said:
DonFerrari said:

Playing RE7 on VR changes how the game is played. A game show on the TV or the portable doesn't change this... If a social aspect of the game would be different because of how you interact with it them sure the score can be different. But in this case this is irrelevant. Or should we give extra 10 points for each game that is made portable? Should UC2, 3 or 4 be over 100 if you play they portably?

And worse yet on this case the portable runs worse than the original.

For pokemon it would make the game experience really different....

Or in another way for me playing on 65" is better than a HH so can I give 20 extra points comparing versions?

VR and portability are the same thing. They both are a different way of playing the game than just on a tv. Handhled or VR don't make a game any better or worse. It's still the same game. They can just increase a person enjoyment of the same game. RE7 VR gives one a sense of more immersion into the game. Switch's handheld aspect can give one more freedom and versatility when playing a game.

Say a reviewer is reviewing an RPG or some game that involves tedious grinding at some point. This game would typically get docked for such a boring aspect. Lets say a point. But the same game is able to be played portable. It's the exact same game, and same reviewer. Having a portable option he finds the tedious grind work slightly less boring, so he only docks the game a 1/2 instead.

Same game, but portability factor improved its score. This shouldn't be hard to explain. Quite a few games have scored either the same or higher than they did months ago by just being on the switch. It's clear that the exact same game was reviewed higher due to its platform it was on. ie portability.

Please entretain me on how they are the same.... and still some will say it's a gimmick and should be destroyed...

Nope, not the same game... what appears and how to play is completely different on VR.

How can something boring become good just because you are carrying it around? Someone could be willing to do the boredom because he have nothing better to do when he is commuting, but if the person don't like grinding and think it's boring he wouldn't really choose games that are focussed on it. And even if they would the rating of the game shouldn't change.

And you do know how much I don't value metacritic reviews right?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

andisart said:
Zekkyou said:

Most of the reviews (at least those in English that i can check) do appear to consider portability a plus, some of them just consider the visual and frame-rate compromises to be a bigger negative. 30fps in particular in an understandable sticking point for a twitch shooter like DOOM. Some will share those grievances, others won't.

Ok fair enough but I still don't think this has translated into the scoring properly.

Portability as plus alone should've put Switch version above other platforms, minus the visual reductions should give a more leveled score

than this. 

Not all positives and negatives are weighted equally. If someone considers the visual and frame-rate compromises to be a bigger negative than the portability, they'll give it a lower score. If they feel the reverse, they'll give it a better one. The former happens to be the more prevalent opinion among the currently upload reviewers.

Already preordered.

Based on what I've seen, it seems deserving of a low 80's score. I imagine some will get it points for being a good port for a portable, while others will dock it points for being less impressive than the other versions (I'm seeing more of the latter).

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
KLAMarine said:

Portability is a pretty sweet pro.

Reviewers dont think that way , they prefer better everything than play it portable mode.

Good thing I've never really cared about what professional reviewers thought.

Goodnightmoon said:
Zekkyou said:

It is but 30fps didn't stopped Destiny 2 from having great scores and that wasn't portable, handhelds are usually more forgiving with lower framerates.

How is Destiny 2 relevant? It's a different game with different pros and cons, and those will have been factored into their scores. Outside of their choice of camera perspective they're fundamentally different titles. Maybe a 60fps version of D2 will have done better, maybe not.

Just as the Switch often gains points for replicating home console like experiences on the go, it'll also be criticised when it falls shorter than some believe justified. That's perfectly reasonable.

KLAMarine said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Reviewers dont think that way , they prefer better everything than play it portable mode.

Good thing I've never really cared about what professional reviewers thought.

I can understand following one reviewer because taste is similar or because you see him as fair...

But to follow metacritics isn't good, to much value given to shitheads and people that doesn't know how to do a good evaluarion of a game on what that games propose to be and what it is.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

They are pretty decent reviews considering its about the same in game in terms of actual gameplay (outside of the exclusion of a map editor). Really the only thing holding it back is the power of the Switch itself which had to make Doom cut some corners to run well at 30fps. Which understandable will drop some points in the review imo.

I sort of wish they made the HUD and the rest of the environment (player, map, enemies, etc.) separate entities. Since the HUD is likely very minimal performance wise but just like the environments has a little blur to it. I could handle it a little better if the HUD was clearer with everything else with a little blur.

Though I am still getting this game on Switch mostly because I have less time at home to enjoy it, though that PC version is very tempting (I could guarantee run that thing at ultra on my PC at 2k res...) and I have never played it yet.

irstupid said:
Zekkyou said:

I don't get why Doom is a twitch shooter. It's a single player game shooting demons. I've played doom a ton of times, and I think every Doom except this one.

No idea on what their FPS where, but don't see why it has to be a twitch one. It's a mostly offline single player solo adventure story FPS.

Not saying 60fps isn't always better than 30 when talking shooters. Just feel the need for 60 fps in say Destiny is more important than in Doom due to its competitive nature.

I'm not the best person to ask that. I've not played the previous Doom titles (and only a few hours of the new one so far), and i don't play many FPS titles in general. So while i know Doom is considered a twitch shooter by many, and i have so far been surprised by how fast-paced the new one is, i'm not confident in giving a specific opinion on the topic.

There's a wiki page about it (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitch_gameplay), so i'd recommended looking there. It's likley a lot more informative than i can be :p