By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Haze Developer Talks About the Power of the PS3

http://ps3center.net/story-522.html

"Working on PS3 has allowed us to create vastly superior environments that verge on photorealism - full-screen effects, High Dynamic Range and obscenely complex shaders. Its more challenging than ever before, but the power is greate than anythinglse that’s out there."

Around the Network

It's starting to look to me like the PS3 is indeed more powerful than the Xbox 360. Not that it matters too much for anything, but it does give Sony fans at leats one point to claim.

I'm excited about this game if they are building it on the PS3 first, then porting it. That's how it should be done in my view, porting from the 360 never will look as good.

I'd like to read the entire commentary. It seems to me like comments about the PS3 were cherry-picked out of a larger interview. I'd like to hear the rest of it.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
I'd like to read the entire commentary. It seems to me like comments about the PS3 were cherry-picked out of a larger interview. I'd like to hear the rest of it.

I'm certain you are right, especially since it's coming from a site called the PS3Center.

A few things to take notice of: Developers working specifically with the PS3 are excited about it's potential. That's both good and bad. Good, because the future seems like a particularly good one, especially with the likes of Square creating engines (White Engine) that are rumored to have CGI-like results In-game.

But why is it bad, you ask?

Well, potential power is also untapped power. Developers look at the cell and say "Wow, I could do this and this and this with it, and tweak it, and twirl it, smack it up, flip it, and rub it down given enough time!" And therein lies the problem: time. Because time = money. Right now, the Cell architecture is too new, so devs won't know how to take advantage of it until probably the 3rd generation of games comes in. Bigger more dedicated devs like Square, Konami, and Sony's 1st/2nd party devs may unlock a good portion of it for 2nd gen games, hopefully.

Around the Network

I like the fact that it's being developed for the PS3 and then ported to other consoles, Sony even said so themselves (according to someone on this site) that it's easier to port from the PS3 than it is to port too the PS3

Dolla Dolla said:
rocketpig said:

I'm certain you are right, especially since it's coming from a site called the PS3Center.

A few things to take notice of: Developers working specifically with the PS3 are excited about it's potential. That's both good and bad. Good, because the future seems like a particularly good one, especially with the likes of Square creating engines (White Engine) that are rumored to have CGI-like results In-game.

But why is it bad, you ask?

Well, potential power is also untapped power. Developers look at the cell and say "Wow, I could do this and this and this with it, and tweak it, and twirl it, smack it up, flip it, and rub it down given enough time!" And therein lies the problem: time. Because time = money. Right now, the Cell architecture is too new, so devs won't know how to take advantage of it until probably the 3rd generation of games comes in. Bigger more dedicated devs like Square, Konami, and Sony's 1st/2nd party devs may unlock a good portion of it for 2nd gen games, hopefully.

The real problem with the power of the Cell is that publishers have to see the benefit of putting the extra money towards taking advantage of the power in order for it to matter. If you look at the previous generation as an example most games for the XBox and Gamecube were simply ports from the PS2 and usually the extra processing power only meant that they ran at a more steady framerate and used antialaising; the games that took advantage of the power of the system looked far better than anything else that was available for these systems.

If the XBox 360 and PS3 are both performing at a similar level to the Gamecube/XBox you could see most games being cross platform between both systems and underperforming because they're developed towards the limitations of the 360 and the limitations of the PS3 at the same time.

SamuelRSmith said:
I like the fact that it's being developed for the PS3 and then ported to other consoles, Sony even said so themselves (according to someone on this site) that it's easier to port from the PS3 than it is to port too the PS3

Factor 5 said that, among other things.

DaBIAS said:
SamuelRSmith said:

Factor 5 said that, among other things.

I stand... corrected