By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Switch exceeds 2.6m sales in the US; Mario Odyssey exceeds 1.1m in the US

StarDoor said:
DonFerrari said:

Everything seems obvious on a hindsight. There were a lot of people here that thought WiiU would be the best selling console of the generation or that PS4 would fail to pass PSVita and Sony would close the door. Are all of the them fanboys?

Even people here who dislike Nintendo predicted massive success for Wii U, despite the obvious signs. That's because Wii won last generation. People tend to just assume that current trends will continue indefinitely.

Colin, though, had no reason for predicting Vita would outsell 3DS other than being a Sony fanboy. Not only did the market signs point in the opposite direction, but PSP had sold 70M less than DS in the preceding generation. Niether the short-term nor long-term trends favored Vita.

I didn't see the reasoning he made and don't even care. I just pointed that his market reading doesn't necessarily makes him a fanboy (but from the other things people talked here seems like he is).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
flashfire926 said:

I never knew the US was a whole continent.

Jokes aside, once you include Canada, Mexico, and all those other NA counties, the total for North America is most likely at 3 million. And yeah, only been 8 months, 8 months that didnt include a holiday season.

What are those other NA countries? You listed USA, Canada and Mexico. Which is missing?

flashfire926 said:

I never looked at it that way, so you may be right. The profit margin is probably higher. but you gotta wonder, if this product gives you more profit, why not advertise it more? The launch seemed very low-key, and I would expect more than a 1 in 5 rate when the price difference isnt that much (with the exception of holiday months).

Because very few houses have 4k TV and customers usually look for pricetag. And we don't know if PS4Pro margin is higher than PS4, what was said is that PS4Pro have margin while X1X probably doesn't.

StarDoor said:

Colin Moriarty was brought up to be mocked because his statment is illogical given that, in the United States, Switch in 2017 has been selling at the same pace as PS4 in 2014. Also, Colin is notorious for being blinded by his own bias toward Sony, since he famously wrote a sizeable IGN article about how Vita would be massively more successful than 3DS.

Everything seems obvious on a hindsight. There were a lot of people here that thought WiiU would be the best selling console of the generation or that PS4 would fail to pass PSVita and Sony would close the door. Are all of the them fanboys?

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

And the Xbox One had hefty supply shipments to three major regions?

Oh wait, it didn't?

So it's not stretched out between three regions?

Interesting. It's almost like the Switch sell through rate is normal in relation to shipments sent to America. Almost like the console is divided heavily between 3 regions(two of which are major). 

Oh ... but hey! That's not excusable because the PS4, a console that has had like one shortage in it's history, had 3.1 by now! Silly me! (Even then, I doubt the PS4's shipments to Japan were taking away as heavily from the European and American shipments 7 months in as they were the Switch, but I won't bet on it)

All II read from what you said is that Sony is better at managing their stock. Thanks. And when USA and Japan doesn't receive the same as Europe, so it isn't so split between 3, but more like it is selling heavily on 2 and something on the others.

Miyamotoo said:

Eh, PS4 didn't had strong exclusives but had strong 3rd party support in 1st year, Switch has strong exclusives but don't have strong 3rd party support. What would PS4 sold without big 3rd party games (for intance GTAV and CoD) in 1st year, definitely not so great. In other words, it's comparing apples to oranges.

So you are talking about all those yearly titles plus a remaster?

Well, the Caribean and Central America are still considered to be North America, if I'm not wrong. Switch has sold 209k in Canada, and its not a stretch to assume the Mexico, a country with five times the population of Canada, has bought a further 191k Switches to push that total past 3M for North America as a whole. So in the end it probably doesnt even matter if you take the other countries into account or not.

And on the second point, thanks for the clarification. I see what he meant now.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

DonFerrari said:
flashfire926 said:

PS4 seems like a great console (I dont ownone myself, looking to get one soon), and I'm sure that it derserves all the success it has gotten.  However, to me the pro variant was completely pointless. Sony was and still is comfortably ahead than its competitors, and its not like the pro caused a huge influx of sales. It doesnt cause harm, but it doesnt benefit them either. Its just..... there. 1 in 5 PS4's sold being a pro seems sorta dissapointing to me. The PS4 would have still kept the monumental momentum, with or without the pro.

If PS4Pro sells 20% of the total, that is quite the good influx of sales.

How do we know that these Pro customers werent just gonna buy a regular PS4, had the new option not been available? Many people are first time PS4 owners, and they just chose to buy the pro over the slim. Those sales would have gone to normal PS4, had the Pro not existed, leading to little to no difference in sales.

Yes you do have the hardcore fans who would upgrade to the pro from standard, but thats only like a relatively small fraction of people in the bigger picture.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Slimebeast said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I mean I guess you could say all those are reasons, but the bigger issue is that nearly half of the Switch's market is in Japan, which means that a ton of Switch's are going into Japan and not America. 2 million Switch's have been sold in Japan, 2.6 have been sold in America. 

It's like being a native to Japan and asking why are PS4 sales so low if it's breaking so many records? (the analogy isn't perfect because the U.S. is one of Nintendo's biggest markets, but the point is that having nearly equal holding in two territories makes a limited console seem less impressive in one territory)...It just does not make a whole lot of sense. 

Bold: funnily that's actually something I've scratched by head over all the time since I've started following console sales ten years ago. Why are the Japan sales numbers for Sony and others so small for a country with 127 million people and a population supposedly so crazy about video games?

I dunno.

Perhaps, We prefer phone games to console's .

Last edited by Oneeee-Chan!!! - on 03 November 2017

flashfire926 said:
DonFerrari said:

What are those other NA countries? You listed USA, Canada and Mexico. Which is missing?

Because very few houses have 4k TV and customers usually look for pricetag. And we don't know if PS4Pro margin is higher than PS4, what was said is that PS4Pro have margin while X1X probably doesn't.

All II read from what you said is that Sony is better at managing their stock. Thanks. And when USA and Japan doesn't receive the same as Europe, so it isn't so split between 3, but more like it is selling heavily on 2 and something on the others.

So you are talking about all those yearly titles plus a remaster?

Well, the Caribean and Central America are still considered to be North America, if I'm not wrong. Switch has sold 209k in Canada, and its not a stretch to assume the Mexico, a country with five times the population of Canada, has bought a further 191k Switches to push that total past 3M for North America as a whole. So in the end it probably doesnt even matter if you take the other countries into account or not.

And on the second point, thanks for the clarification. I see what he meant now.

Since when is Central America and Carribean Island part of North America?

flashfire926 said:
DonFerrari said:

If PS4Pro sells 20% of the total, that is quite the good influx of sales.

How do we know that these Pro customers werent just gonna buy a regular PS4, had the new option not been available? Many people are first time PS4 owners, and they just chose to buy the pro over the slim. Those sales would have gone to normal PS4, had the Pro not existed, leading to little to no difference in sales.

Yes you do have the hardcore fans who would upgrade to the pro from standard, but thats only like a relatively small fraction of people in the bigger picture.

The fact that they could have bought the PS4 for 3 years before the Pro launched, so it's valid to think they were enticed to buy the Pro and that drove the sales up. Unless you think the revisions of Nintendo handhelds and sony/ms slims didn't move the needle.

We don't really know how many bought a second time or wouldn't buy Pro. But you said it didn't move the needle, so you have the burden of proof.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said:

Since when is Central America and Carribean Island part of North America?

Since always.

Admittedly, educational systems differ. There is one that defines the continents of the Earth as Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, Antarctica, North America and South America. Europe and Asia split along the Kaukasus and Bosporus, but that's another instance where educational models can differ. The border between North America and South America is right above Venezuela, so Central America (a region, not continent) and the Carribean islands count towards North America.

A different educational system separates America into North, Central and South, leaving North America with only three countries as far as I know: Canada, USA and Mexico.

Well as CONTINENTS it is AMERICA, as divisions is NORTH, CENTRAL and SOUTH in Brazil. But it is funny to see someone calling central america as part of north america =~] isn't it?

But I accept that even though I never see in any newspaper or book (even NPD considers North America just the 3 countries) some places may consider the division of 2 countries as the valid one.

DonFerrari said:
RolStoppable said:

Since always.

Admittedly, educational systems differ. There is one that defines the continents of the Earth as Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, Antarctica, North America and South America. Europe and Asia split along the Kaukasus and Bosporus, but that's another instance where educational models can differ. The border between North America and South America is right above Venezuela, so Central America (a region, not continent) and the Carribean islands count towards North America.

A different educational system separates America into North, Central and South, leaving North America with only three countries as far as I know: Canada, USA and Mexico.

Well as CONTINENTS it is AMERICA, as divisions is NORTH, CENTRAL and SOUTH in Brazil. But it is funny to see someone calling central america as part of north america =~] isn't it?

But I accept that even though I never see in any newspaper or book (even NPD considers North America just the 3 countries) some places may consider the division of 2 countries as the valid one.

Literally just google North America

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

Sorry to tell you but most books in Brazil would either divide by 3 or consider single.

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

Ehhh he is right though.There are countries that separate them into three big regions, and there are some that separates into two.Thats more a "cultural" thing than anything else.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Only 2.6m?

PSn - greencactaur
Nintendo Switch FC - SW - 5152 - 6393 - 5140 Please feel free to add me :)