By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - FIFA World Cup or UEFA Champions League: What do you prefer?

Do you prefer the FIFA World Cup or UEFA Champions League?

FIFA World Cup 64 73.56%

UEFA Champions League 23 26.44%

Total:87
Ka-pi96 said:
HomokHarcos said:

Football's the only sport I know where the international version has more parity than the club version, no team winning the World Cup next year would be as surprising as Leicester City winning the Champions League.

You think Iceland winning the World Cup would be less surprising than Leicester winning the Premier League? What about the 2022 World Cup... surely nothing beats how surprising a Qatari win would be

Yes, I do think Iceland winning the World Cup would be less surprising than Leicester winning the Premier League, (I wrote Champions League by accident, but you knew what I meant).

Around the Network
zehh25 said:
HomokHarcos said:

Football's the only sport I know where the international version has more parity than the club version, no team winning the World Cup next year would be as surprising as Leicester City winning the Champions League.

Leicester City winning the Champions League whould be freaking cool, but we all know that Bayern, Barcelona, Real Madrid or PSG will most likely win 9 of the 10 next editions unless there is another billionaire Arabic dude willing to make another PSG.

About the World Cup, even the qualifiers already have some awesome moments, like seeing Iceland and their fans (just like what happened during EuroCup) and Siria, that had a few nice moments with its team even though the country is in a war. 

I wrote Champions League by accident, I meant to say no team winning the World Cup next year would be as a big of a shock as Leicester winning the Premier League was. Iceland has a much bigger chance of winning the World Cup than APOEL ever winning a Champions League (now imagine that).

HomokHarcos said:
zehh25 said:

Leicester City winning the Champions League whould be freaking cool, but we all know that Bayern, Barcelona, Real Madrid or PSG will most likely win 9 of the 10 next editions unless there is another billionaire Arabic dude willing to make another PSG.

About the World Cup, even the qualifiers already have some awesome moments, like seeing Iceland and their fans (just like what happened during EuroCup) and Siria, that had a few nice moments with its team even though the country is in a war. 

I wrote Champions League by accident, I meant to say no team winning the World Cup next year would be as a big of a shock as Leicester winning the Premier League was. Iceland has a much bigger chance of winning the World Cup than APOEL ever winning a Champions League (now imagine that).

Premier League is the best league in Europe in my opinion, it has the most teams with actual chances of winning, but indeed Leicester title was very surprising. In Brazil we have some nice surprises in the Brazilian Cup (Santo André, Paulista, Criciúma and other small teams already won it), but the last big surprise in the Brazilian League was in 2001, when Atletico Paranaense won.

Ka-pi96 said:
HomokHarcos said:

Yes, I do think Iceland winning the World Cup would be less surprising than Leicester winning the Premier League, (I wrote Champions League by accident, but you knew what I meant).

Actually I didn't I wrote Premier Leauge by accident and then edited it after seeing your post again

But if you're talking Premier League then it's not an entirely fair comparison. League competitions are much harder to win since they require a lot of consistency, while a Cup can be won with a few lucky games. A better comparison would be the FA Cup. I don't think anybody would say that's got more parity due to all the lower league teams in it, but because of the format they have a better chance of getting far or even winning it, as some indeed have.

Mistake on my part, I guess I shouldn't be comparing leagues to knockouts. So I guess I will stick to the Champions League/World Cup argument.

In my opinion nothing in football can compare to the NHL playoffs in terms of parity. Every year I have no idea who is going to win and I feel like it could be any team.

Ka-pi96 said:
HomokHarcos said:

Actually I didn't I wrote Premier Leauge by accident and then edited it after seeing your post again

But if you're talking Premier League then it's not an entirely fair comparison. League competitions are much harder to win since they require a lot of consistency, while a Cup can be won with a few lucky games. A better comparison would be the FA Cup. I don't think anybody would say that's got more parity due to all the lower league teams in it, but because of the format they have a better chance of getting far or even winning it, as some indeed have.

Mistake on my part, I guess I shouldn't be comparing leagues to knockouts. So I guess I will stick to the Champions League/World Cup argument.

In my opinion nothing in football can compare to the NHL playoffs in terms of parity. Every year I have no idea who is going to win and I feel like it could be any team, but it seems like football fans don't like upsets as much as other sports fans do (there's so many people that complained about Chelsea's CL win being a fluke).

Around the Network

Club football is just a pointless exercise. I mean who am I rooting for there? I'm basically rooting for which bag of money has randomly bought the correct players this year.

I'd rather cheer for German supremacy.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:

Club football is just a pointless exercise. I mean who am I rooting for there? I'm basically rooting for which bag of money has randomly bought the correct players this year.

I'd rather cheer for German supremacy.

Maybe you should ask the Germans to stop spending their bags of money on Turkish players then

That doesn't even make any sense.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:

I was making the insinuation that the German national team keeps bribing Turks to play for it. eg. Ozil, Can etc.

Özil was born in Germany, even his parents were born there. If you want an example of a team naturalizing foreigners just so they can play for them, look at Qatar.

Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:

I was making the insinuation that the German national team keeps bribing Turks to play for it. eg. Ozil, Can etc.

It's actually the Turkish players begging to play in the team. It's not like there is a shortage of talented youngsters. Every single team member in the German roster can be immediately replaced by 2 equally talented players.

zehh25 said:
I really dont like Champions League at all, it is just about money, a few rich teams always win. I'd say it's the biggest club tournament regarding money, but not quality (there are some incredibly good teams, but most are just average or bad and it is really unbalanced). Also, there should be some kind of rule about the number of foreingners in a team, it is awful to watch a game between, for example, Real Madrid and Bayern where there are more south americans than germans or spanishes. The World Cup may be unbalanced too, but at least players are representing their country and there is a different feeling.

Unfortunately it seems that the Brazilian Championship is going to the same place with some clubs getting way richer than the rest, but I hope it never happens.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against foreingners in my team (Guerrero is from Peru and is my favorite player in a Brazilian club), just saying that I consider sports are something cultural and there must have at least some identity between the club and its country and fans.

I feel exactly opposite of this.  I want teams to be the best they can be, and I don't give a damn where the people come from.  Nationalism is bullshit.