By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - My PS4 is dying (I think)

Xbbjf9s said:

It's in a pretty open area, it doesn't scream when AC is on (it's placed near a vent). Would digital games reduce the noise? It would be cheaper to buy digital versions of my games instead of buying a new console.  

It's been my experience that if everything is in working order, digital games don't reduce system noise in general. The game that had my PS4 at it's noisiest was Everybody's Gone To The Rapture, which is digital. As for your noise problem, I can't say for sure, as I don't kniw where it's eminating from. I'd just buy a new one at this point if I were you. Pro, Slim, whatever suits you.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
Xbbjf9s said:

It's in a pretty open area, it doesn't scream when AC is on (it's placed near a vent). Would digital games reduce the noise? It would be cheaper to buy digital versions of my games instead of buying a new console.  

It's been my experience that if everything is in working order, digital games don't reduce system noise in general. The game that had my PS4 at it's noisiest was Everybody's Gone To The Rapture, which is digital. As for your noise problem, I can't say for sure, as I don't kniw where it's eminating from. I'd just buy a new one at this point if I were you. Pro, Slim, whatever suits you.

I'm gonna do some of the steps suggested by the other users, if that doesn't work then a new model it is. Thanks for the info on the digital games!

My PS4 does the same, sent it upstairs as a download only machine and bought the Pro as a re0lacement 😉

Xbbjf9s said:

Hey All,

I have a launch model PS4 and I feel it's only a matter of time before it kicks the bucket. It has been randomly spitting out discs and it sounds like a damn banshee when I play Horizon or Destiny 2. I would prefer not to fork over a few hundred for new system so I thought of going digital with my games, would that reduce the wear and tear on my system?

That sucks. Sorry to hear. I'm surprised my PS4 is still kicking. It's one of the launch ones the wife bought me for Christmas. But at first when I played it I thought there was something wrong with the HDMI port because I kept having to unplug and replug in the HDMI to the tv in order for the signal to appear. Apparently PS4 does not like Sanyo tvs. Some things were quarky and glitchy but now everything is really smooth. Every once in a blue moon it won't read a disc and may require a restart but haven't had that in a while. And even while playing Prey last night I decided to download Metal Gear Solid V last night onto the external hard drive and it finished before I was ready to turn in for the night. I would see about trading yours in. At the worst they can send it somewhere to get refurbished.

FIT_Gamer said:
You'd be surprised how much dust can be inside a console and dust is a killer. I went a year without cleaning my OG PS3 and when I opened it up...the horror. Ever since then I air dust/vacuum my consoles/PC on a weekly basis.

I cleaned my PS3 this year for the first time: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=230276&page=1

Around the Network
Conina said:
FIT_Gamer said:
You'd be surprised how much dust can be inside a console and dust is a killer. I went a year without cleaning my OG PS3 and when I opened it up...the horror. Ever since then I air dust/vacuum my consoles/PC on a weekly basis.

I cleaned my PS3 this year for the first time: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=230276&page=1

Yeah that's pretty bad. I don't have any picture, but mine was worse. The gaps in the fan blades were almost completely sealed with dust. I also live in a dusty desert though. 

I have a ps4 pro and it sounds like a 747 about to take off when playing even digital games like Horizon.

I got it on launch so the warranty is about up and I will clean it well and hope it keep chugging along.

Thanks for the OP, good info to have as a ps4 owner

Xbbjf9s said:

I dont think digital games will reduce the noise. The disc in PS4, as far as I know, is used for the initial installation of the game to the HDD and subsequently serves as a "key". The game is run from the HDD regardless, so I don't think digital will get rid of the noise. It seems that the fan might be the culprit here. Anyway, good luck!!!

Conina said:
FIT_Gamer said:

damn!

Xbbjf9s said:

Hey All,

I have a launch model PS4 and I feel it's only a matter of time before it kicks the bucket. It has been randomly spitting out discs and it sounds like a damn banshee when I play Horizon or Destiny 2. I would prefer not to fork over a few hundred for new system so I thought of going digital with my games, would that reduce the wear and tear on my system?

Is sun glaring on PS4, a while back that was a thing sun was triggering eject.