By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - First Super Mario Odyssey Review in! (EDGE)

Wyrdness said:
KLXVER said:

What?

Do you honestly think EDGE would have a SMO review in this issue if they gave it a 7? 

No one is saying Ninteno or EDGE paid for anything here.

Yes they would all other reviews are going to be out before the game's release as well are you going to argue they all got copies because of a deal as well.

No because they have to follow the embargo.

Around the Network

I think I found out who KLXVER's insider source is- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tUBYGWRGzY

KLXVER said:
Wyrdness said:

Yes they would all other reviews are going to be out before the game's release as well are you going to argue they all got copies because of a deal as well.

Magazines don't have the same embargos on them due to release schedule otherwise they'd lose business to further blow up how silly this notion is are you also saying Sony had a deal with Edge over TLOU because that got a 10 in an issue (Issue 255) that released 2 weeks before the game did?

RolStoppable said:
KLXVER said:

Maybe...or maybe the perfect 10 had something to do wih it. Its not impossible.

If you want to be a skeptical person, you should ask the question if the Forbes contributor was trolling for hits. That has a much, much higher probability than Super Mario Odyssey not being worth a 10.

Never have I said the game doesnt deserve a 10. I read the article and the guy seemed pretty serious. He might have trolled, but I still think he had a point. A deal doesnt have to mean anyone did anything illegal. 

KLXVER said:
RolStoppable said:

If you want to be a skeptical person, you should ask the question if the Forbes contributor was trolling for hits. That has a much, much higher probability than Super Mario Odyssey not being worth a 10.

Never have I said the game doesnt deserve a 10. I read the article and the guy seemed pretty serious. He might have trolled, but I still think he had a point. A deal doesnt have to mean anyone did anything illegal. 

How many times does it have to be repeated to you, that making a deal of this sort involving collusion is illegal.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
RolStoppable said:

Because the game didn't meet the deadline for the September issue and there was no sense of urgency from anyone.

Maybe...or maybe the perfect 10 had something to do wih it. Its not impossible.

You do realize that due to their release schedule, they are constantly reviewing previous month games and early month games, correct?  Games from late prior month and early current month are their priority.  So getting an early code for a late month game to have it show up in a current month is a drain on resources that reduces their writing output.  They are not going to ask for a code and then have a reviewer spend scores of hours playing it, writing a review, edit that review, score that review just to then send it off to the GAME PUBLISHERS TO REVIEW IT.  You don't spend resources that could be spent filling your magazine with other articles and collumns on something that lives or dies at the whim of an outside entity.  

And one thing you have yet to explain to anyone is WHY?  Why would either party do some shady stuff over this?  Why would Nintendo do something borderline if not outright illegal for what is ultimately a drop in the ocean's worth of publicity.  One review that will be mostly forgotten prior to the embargo lifting for the other outlets and after that point will just be one review among the many?  What possible return on risk is there to justify the effort, when there's very good odds this would get out and cause a PR disaster?  And EDGE too.  Why would a magazine with a sterling reputation that's going strong do this thing that could destroy them in an instant?  For a very modest increase in monthly revenue?  The review isn't even available digitally and won't be for ages.  Until, you know, everyone else's is out.  

It makes no logical sense in any way shape or form.  It would be all risk, no reward worth anything.  Simply asking for the code is worth it because if Nintendo says yes, easy cover story.  Cutting some shady deal that could cause a pulicity trainwreck that would completely taint ALL positive coverage of Mario Odyssey and potentially ruin Edge is NOT worth it.  

Wyrdness said:
KLXVER said:

Magazines don't have the same embargos on them due to release schedule otherwise they'd lose business to further blow up how silly this notion is are you also saying Sony had a deal with Edge over TLOU because that got a 10 in an issue (Issue 255) that released 2 weeks before the game did?

Yes. I think Sony made a deal with EDGE over that. Nothing illegal, but giving them the ok because they gave it a 10. I do think EDGE are truthful in their reviews, but if TLOU got a 7, I dont think they would have gotten the ok from Sony to release it early. It happens alot and I find it unfair to other reviwers.

KLXVER said:

I do. Whats troubling you, little one?

Your reading comprehension. You should come out and say you've been trolling at this point, it would make this whole situation better. No one can seriously miss the whole point of a post as many times as you have. 

NintendoPie said:
KLXVER said:

I do. Whats troubling you, little one?

Your reading comprehension. You should come out and say you've been trolling at this point, it would make this whole situation better. No one can seriously miss the whole point of a post as many times as you have. 

Show me instead of trolling me. Thanks.

RolStoppable said:
KLXVER said:

Have you read his update?

Yes I did.