By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Super Mario Odyssey will help Nintendo take November from Microsoft. Sony wont slouch either.

Who do you think will sell more units this holiday?

Nintendo 363 68.11%

Microsoft 26 4.88%

Sony 144 27.02%

Total:533
S.T.A.G.E. said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Nioh and Bloodborne are actually semi-dudebro. My dudebro friends in highschool and I played DS3 together

Nope. Those are pretty hardcore. Xbox survives off of dude bro content.

Being "hardcore" doesn't stop something from being dudebro though. 

Besides, Playstation 4 has the marketing rights to pretty much every dude bro game. (except Ass Creed ... if that counts?)

But yeah, I think overall most of the dudebros in the U.S. are probably on Xbox One(or both)

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Nope. Those are pretty hardcore. Xbox survives off of dude bro content.

Being "hardcore" doesn't stop something from being dudebro though. 

Besides, Playstation 4 has the marketing rights to pretty much every dude bro game. (except Ass Creed ... if that counts?)

But yeah, I think overall most of the dudebros in the U.S. are probably on Xbox One(or both)

Nioh and bloodborne are niche games for the hardened gamer who excels under pressure. I'm just happy they turned profit.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Link to source that Xbox One is more popular with teens in the US than PS4? I only ask because PS4 is the de facto standard dudebreh machine of this gen like 360 was before it, and all my son and his friends game on are PS4's.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/teens-think-xbox-is-cooler-than-playstation-study-/1100-6449195/

Minecraft.... and halo.... makes sense the 13-15yo think so.

Study also mentions that those 18-25 (and older) prefer the PS4.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Link to source that Xbox One is more popular with teens in the US than PS4? I only ask because PS4 is the de facto standard dudebreh machine of this gen like 360 was before it, and all my son and his friends game on are PS4's.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/teens-think-xbox-is-cooler-than-playstation-study-/1100-6449195/

Ok, so no concrete source. A survey of 1100 kids where IIRC there was a 1% difference in the answers.. that's cool I guess. I mean, a quick Google search gave me this: https://www.dailygame.net/features/teens-prefer-ps4-xbox-one-christmas-survey-finds I also remember a survey around the start of the gen that said PS4 owners prefer higher resolution over exclusive games or even game library itself. I very highly doubt you agree with that, lol.

Either way this survey clashes with logic thanks to sales.

ThisGuyFooks said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

The last thing i think about when i look at games like The Last Guardian, Nioh, Bloodborne, Yakuza, Ni no Kuni, Gravity Rush 2, etc is "Dudebreh".

Just because the PS4 is the most Popular Console today doesnt mean that it locked the "Dudebreh" market that belongs on Xbox consoles.

Yeah... that's not really how it works. I mean, I could just as easily say that when I look at games like Cuphead, Ori, Forza Motorsports, Recore, D4, or hell even Halo Wars 2 (its a RTS) I don't see dudebreh! Your argument falls apart when you look at sales. I know this website is not the most reliable when it comes to sales, but if you added all the PS4 sales from those games you listed, it wouldn't even crack the top 10 in PS4 game sales. So while it's nice that consoles have large varieties of game types and it's awesome that PS4 has those games for those people interested, sales show that a vast majority of its owners are not interested in those games, and many many many more are interested in the brehest of dudebreh games. Furthermore all those dumb deals MS had last gen are now squarely in the PS4 camp. Dude, get CoD on PS4 you get maps early. Dude, get Destiny on PS4 you get exclusive stuff. It's ok, this is something that comes with being the most popular console in the US. It becomes the dudebreh platform of choice.

This seems to be straying off the topic though, so I won't touch the dudebreh stuff again.

LudicrousSpeed said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Ok, so no concrete source. A survey of 1100 kids where IIRC there was a 1% difference in the answers.. that's cool I guess. I mean, a quick Google search gave me this: https://www.dailygame.net/features/teens-prefer-ps4-xbox-one-christmas-survey-finds I also remember a survey around the start of the gen that said PS4 owners prefer higher resolution over exclusive games or even game library itself. I very highly doubt you agree with that, lol.

Either way this survey clashes with logic thanks to sales.

It's only focusing on a demographic and most studies are based on surveys. It would also explain why sales are high during the holidays  rather than year round for ms. Nintnedo and Sony seem to be more popular among millennials and older gamers.

Around the Network

Uh, sales are higher for MS around the holidays because they're higher for everyone around the holidays, lol. Because it's the holidays...

http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_yoy.php?reg=Global&start_year=2014&end_year=2017&console=PS4

PS4 sold OVER 3M units alone last November and this is arguably peak year for PS4 so I can't even believe the thought that people are entertaining the idea that the Switch will somehow beat the PS4 this November when the 3DS still sold less than 2M units when it had a price cut and was relatively more hungrier for games such as SM3DL in a similar point in time compared to the Switch ...

I've also never once seen a system beat their December month with their November month either ... (Nintendo would have to raise forecasts by at least 2M units for this quarter ALONE and sell out every stock to be able to compete with PS4)

fatslob-:O said:
http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_yoy.php?reg=Global&start_year=2014&end_year=2017&console=PS4

PS4 sold OVER 3M units alone last November and this is arguably peak year for PS4 so I can't even believe the thought that people are entertaining the idea that the Switch will somehow beat the PS4 this November when the 3DS still sold less than 2M units when it had a price cut and was relatively more hungrier for games such as SM3DL in a similar point in time compared to the Switch ...

I've also never once seen a system beat their December month with their November month either ... (Nintendo would have to raise forecasts by at least 2M units for this quarter ALONE and sell out every stock to be able to compete with PS4)

Comparing SM3DL to SMO? Also isnt Switch doing way better than 3ds was (US not Japan)?

(Not saying ps4 wont win)

tbone51 said:

Comparing SM3DL to SMO? Also isnt Switch doing way better than 3ds was (US not Japan)?

(Not saying ps4 wont win)

@Bold Why not when their pretty similar titles (3D Mario's) in a similar point in their repespective system's life (first calendar year) ? 

Switch is doing better in it's life so far but it had far more balanced game releases in it's first year and the 3DS's price cut will soon catch up to the Switch ... (or at least Nintendo seems to think so) 

To even think about the Switch competing with PS4 in November the Switch would need great value bundles AND raise shipping quanities realistically speaking or even release another AAA flagship franchise ... (Nintendo doesn't have anthing else in the holidays) 

It even makes more sense to see how PS4 this November will play out with the Switch's first December once we take a look back at Nintendo's forecast ... 

fatslob-:O said:

@Bold Why not when their pretty similar titles (3D Mario's) in a similar point in their repespective system's life (first calendar year) ? 

Switch is doing better in it's life so far but it had far more balanced game releases in it's first year and the 3DS's price cut will soon catch up to the Switch ... (or at least Nintendo seems to think so) 

To even think about the Switch competing with PS4 in November the Switch would need great value bundles AND raise shipping quanities realistically speaking or even release another AAA flagship franchise ... (Nintendo doesn't have anthing else in the holidays) 

It even makes more sense to see how PS4 this November will play out with the Switch's first December once we take a look back at Nintendo's forecast ... 

The only real argument you have against the Switch is Nintendo's own forecasts, which honestly are enough to make you right. But, what you seem to fail to realize is that we are talking about the Switch - the Switch will sell because it's the Switch. Those balanced game releases you mentioned gave it the gravity to be able to pull in a healthy userbase and turn it into the new, hot technology that people will want because it is what it is.