By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - What is a political issue that you want to understand the opposite viewpoint more?

Aeolus451 said:
Final-Fan said:

So when you said "Nope" in response to
"(paraphrased proposal:)  would you be in favor of abolishing the estate tax by way of replacing its revenue stream with other taxes?", I read it as
"I would not be in favor of this proposal."  I think that is a very reasonable way to interpret your answer.  However, I now understand your position to be
"I want the estate tax gone; revenue replacement in the form of other forms of taxes that are not any kind of inheritance tax is acceptable but not required.  I would favor that proposal because it involves getting rid of the estate tax but it should not be inferred that I would not be in favor of non-revenue-neutral abolishment of the estate tax, possibly even more so."  Correct? 

When I saw your reference to thievery I saw it as a variation on the "taxation is theft" mantra I hear from certain people, only that yours was specific to the subject of the estate tax.  Your motive was not clear to me at that time, but it is now.  By the way, that was why I was especially confused that you saw the estate tax as theft but not e.g. income taxes. 

Can you identify why the passing of wealth from one generation to another is more sacred than the passing of wealth from any person to another (i.e. employment, transactions, etc.)? or is it just an axiom for you that it should be completely untouched? 

It would depend on what you're talking about with "revenue replacement if I would agree with it or not. If you're talking about creating another tax for what was inherited then no, I wouldn't agree to it because it still goes against my position on this in principal. 

Because it's a situation where a loved one dies and passes on their material possessions to a living loved one or heir. I consider it a sacred rite of passage and it's obviously not a normal transfer of possessions between people or a normal transaction. If I work or run a business my whole life knowing that eventually I'll die, I would like to be able to pass on what I worked for to my children or heir unmolested by the government. 

"other forms of taxes that are not any kind of inheritance tax"
Did you actually read my post bro

I understand where you're coming from, it's just from my perspective there's not a practical difference if the same amount of money was taken during your lifetime vs. at the point of death. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network
monocle_layton said:
I'd like to understand the people who cannot live their lives without ranting about specific groups of people, whether it'd be liberals, conservative, muslims, etc.

Also, how do people watch PJW, Mark Dice, Black Pidgeon speaks, and other shitshows? Literally 24/7 all I see from them are 'SJWs, Muslims, feminists, liberals, and blacks are responsible for everything!!!'. Are there any political youtubers who aren't obnoxious or idiots?

I fucking despise Mark Dice. All of his arguments seem to amount too... "But the liberals are doing it too.....". He presents all of his arguments with a condescending attitude that makes him seem douchey. PJW is a boring fuck who puts out the same shit every day. I understand that he runs a news station... but he has absolutely no personality when conveying the news what so ever. I don't know the rest.