By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - R/The_Donald users mess up miserably

The smartest and most brilliant politicians on the internet seem to have made a huge mistake. 

Good thing we can blame everything on Soros and Hillary!

Around the Network

Who would've thought that people who support a sociopathic moron are also sociopathic morons. Makes you think.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

It annoys me how the media isn't branding this as a terrorist attack. If the man was olive skinned he'd be branded a Muslim Extremist, whether or not he actively practices the faith. SMH.

Proxy-Pie said:
It annoys me how the media isn't branding this as a terrorist attack. If the man was olive skinned he'd be branded a Muslim Extremist, whether or not he actively practices the faith. SMH.

Not every mass killing is terrorism. It has to have an ideological or political aim. So until there is a clear motive it cannot be terrorism.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Proxy-Pie said:

Not every mass killing is terrorism. It has to have an ideological or political aim. So until there is a clear motive it cannot be terrorism.

You know what, I was just having this discussion yesterday. The disagreement came in whether or not intentions were the important factor in whether or not it's a terrorist attack, or if the outcome is what is important.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
vivster said:

You know what, I was just having this discussion yesterday. The disagreement came in whether or not intentions were the important factor in whether or not it's a terrorist attack, or if the outcome is what is important.

The word has a definition, so let's go by that.

Random fits of violence are not the same as terror. Just like manslaughter is not the same as murder. Intent is very important. And what would you even gain from changing the definition of terrorism and just applying it to all violence?

The guy was probably just crazy. Though, they're right that not everything is adding up. ISIS definitely did not do it. They proved they're a much weaker group than people and the media think they are yesterday.

I had a theory that whenever anything bad happens that ISIS would claim it because a. they knew the person was solo and could not refute themselves after death b. claiming this makes their scope look much larger than it actually is.

Lo and behold, that's what happened yesterday. A guy who definitely was not part of ISIS was claimed by them. Which also vastly weakens the claim of their attacks in Europe, imo. The people in Europe are just wannabe ISIS for attention.

Proxy-Pie said:

While negative assumptions would probably be brought for a ME attacker, it's still not correct to automatically label it terrorism.

By Nevada's laws, it is terrorism. By a regular definition however, it's simply an awful (and massive) attack.

StarOcean said:
The guy was probably just crazy. Though, they're right that not everything is adding up. ISIS definitely did not do it. They proved they're a much weaker group than people and the media think they are yesterday.

I had a theory that whenever anything bad happens that ISIS would claim it because a. they knew the person was solo and could not refute themselves after death b. claiming this makes their scope look much larger than it actually is.

Lo and behold, that's what happened yesterday. A guy who definitely was not part of ISIS was claimed by them. Which also vastly weakens the claim of their attacks in Europe, imo. The people in Europe are just wannabe ISIS for attention.

I've been believing that for quite some time, but people have always called me an 'apologetic supporter'

ISIS wants power. Why can't people understand they gain strength through attention?

vivster said:
VGPolyglot said:

The word has a definition, so let's go by that.

Random fits of violence are not the same as terror. Just like manslaughter is not the same as murder. Intent is very important. And what would you even gain from changing the definition of terrorism and just applying it to all violence?

I agree, but I didn't want to go into more detail about the discussion without the people I talked to knowing I did so.

monocle_layton said:
Proxy-Pie said:

While negative assumptions would probably be brought for a ME attacker, it's still not correct to automatically label it terrorism.

By Nevada's laws, it is terrorism. By a regular definition however, it's simply an awful (and massive) attack.

StarOcean said:

I've been believing that for quite some time, but people have always called me an 'apologetic supporter'

ISIS wants power. Why can't people understand they gain strength through attention?

I honestly believe ISIS's scope is only the middle east, north Africa, and southern European countries. But right now they're being ravaged so they're what I believe to be much much weaker than they were 2-3yrs back. Even then their power was over-exaggerated. They were a shittier version of Al-Queda