By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Help using a controller to play AM2R on Mac

mZuzek said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Is there any proof that the developer made the game around controllers?

Well the game boots up with a splash screen that says "a controller is recommended", so I assume yes they did.

So then there IS CONTROLLER support. 

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
spemanig said:

Because it's annoying.

It is though. I cannot reliably download a game and just have it work every time. It may not be the controller every time, but it's almost always something. Almost always something that has to be googled or tweaked.

It's the game. I've already said this. I know where the problem is. All of AM2R reddit does. It's not a shitty OS and it's not bad luck. It's the game. I just want to solve it.

We're getting off topic. Please help me solve it instead of being sensitive about a harmless comment.

It's not about being sensitive though. I genuinely don't understand how you're having a problem. You just said the entire subreddit knew the problem ... so why don't they know the answer??? We don't even know the problem and you're asking us to solve it. Like i'm not trying to be rude, I don't get the problem. Maybe the game is just not compatible with controllers right now??? Is there any proof that the developer made the game around controllers?

If I knew why they don't know the answer, clearly I wouldn't be here. There are a bunch of reddit threads asking the same question, but with varying solutions, most of which are WINDOWS solutions using WINDOWS programs. I know for a fact there are people playing this game on mac with a controller, so there is obviously a solution.

Update though - My Switch Pro Controller randomly started working for it. After a bit of fumbling, I finally got it to work 90%. One bbig problem though - the dpad won't work. At first I thought this was another glitch, but I genuinely don't think there is dpad support natively for this game, meaning I have to go back to the controller driver solution because the game is borderline unplayable for me with the analog stick.

I'm going to keep fooling around with "Enjoyable" and try to mock a keyboard, as it seems to be the best way to do this.

Disclaimer, I don't own a Mac and I haven't used one in about 15 years.

First, the dpad issue is the same for me too on the Dualshock 4, however using the Xbox One controller both the analog stick and dpad work just fine. So if you want to use the dpad you'll probably have to find a program that can emulate XInput (Xbox) controllers or just use a Xbox controller.

Second, I've looked online about controller support with Wine and overall it seems support is poor. You might have some luck if you can manage to find the wrapper for AM2R and installing various programs to get it running, but again you'll also probably need a XInput emulator so... good luck? Honestly it's probably just easier to bootcamp Windows and play it that way but if you're fine with playing with the analog sticks that's probably the easiest option.

mZuzek said:
spemanig said:

Update though - My Switch Pro Controller randomly started working for it. After a bit of fumbling, I finally got it to work 90%. One bbig problem though - the dpad won't work. At first I thought this was another glitch, but I genuinely don't think there is dpad support natively for this game, meaning I have to go back to the controller driver solution because the game is borderline unplayable for me with the analog stick.

I'm going to keep fooling around with "Enjoyable" and try to mock a keyboard, as it seems to be the best way to do this.

Bleh, analog is absolutely fine, the game even supports it to some extent. The only Metroids I dislike playing on analog stick are the GBA ones.

I gave it a shot, but it's utterly unenjoyable to me. I didn't even mind the circle pad controls as much as this. Too much travel time between inputs.

Leadified said:

Disclaimer, I don't own a Mac and I haven't used one in about 15 years.

First, the dpad issue is the same for me too on the Dualshock 4, however using the Xbox One controller both the analog stick and dpad work just fine. So if you want to use the dpad you'll probably have to find a program that can emulate XInput (Xbox) controllers or just use a Xbox controller.

Second, I've looked online about controller support with Wine and overall it seems support is poor. You might have some luck if you can manage to find the wrapper for AM2R and installing various programs to get it running, but again you'll also probably need a XInput emulator so... good luck? Honestly it's probably just easier to bootcamp Windows and play it that way but if you're fine with playing with the analog sticks that's probably the easiest option.

Ooo okay, I'll try that. I'm definitely not fine with analog controls. I didn't try my XBO controller because I think you need to wire it for it wo work. I'll see what I can do.

spemanig said:

Ooo okay, I'll try that. I'm definitely not fine with analog controls. I didn't try my XBO controller because I think you need to wire it for it wo work. I'll see what I can do.

Well if you can get that to work then it will solve almost all your issues. If you have the S controller then that one supports BlueTooth for wireless but the original one needs to be plugged in.