By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Help using a controller to play AM2R on Mac

VGPolyglot said:
spemanig said:

I've been all over reddit. This is not just a mac thing. I'm not sure if it's the same for a Mac. I have the 2016 macbook with only USBC ports though. I have an adapter, so I'll see if it works.

Hmm, it seems like you've contradicted yourself? You say you don't play games on PC because they don't work, but then later on you go to say how it's isolated to this game, because other emulators and games worked.

^^^ was gonna say that but didn't want to sound like a PC elitist

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
spemanig said:

I've been all over reddit. This is not just a mac thing. I'm not sure if it's the same for a Mac. I have the 2016 macbook with only USBC ports though. I have an adapter, so I'll see if it works.

Hmm, it seems like you've contradicted yourself? You say you don't play games on PC because they don't work, but then later on you go to say how it's isolated to this game, because other emulators and games worked.

When I say that I don't play games on PC, I mean regularly, not ever. How would I know that games don't work instantly if I've never tried?

mZuzek said:
Proxy-Pie said:
For a lot of PC games/emulators that don't support controllers, I use Joy2Key (which maps controller buttons to the keyboard).

Apparently http://joystickmapper.com/ is the Mac equivalent.

Yeah, at this point I'd go this route too. Joy2Key isn't ever ideal, but it is a solution and in a game like AM2R you won't really be needing any sort of analog control anyway.

I was having a similar problem with this game recently, and for some reason it was fixed when I downloaded and installed this. But that's Windows only, so I'm not sure if you can find and alternative for that.

I already downloaded an application called enjoyable for this purpose. Though I was able to get it "working," some of the inputs double up, and I don't know why. For example, when I press hold the missle button, samus will also go into her morph ball as well. A few quirks like this, especially in the menu, made the game unplayable, but that's the closest I came.

Mar1217 said:
Or you could, you know ... play with your keyboard ?

I... don't want to?

spemanig said:
VGPolyglot said:

When I say that I don't play games on PC, I mean regularly, not ever. How would I know that games don't work instantly if I've never tried?

OK then, let me change what I said up a bit then:

Hmm, it seems like you've contradicted yourself? You say you don't typically play games on PC because they typically don't work, but then later on you go to say how it's isolated to this game, because other emulators and games worked.

VGPolyglot said:
spemanig said:

Hmm, it seems like you've contradicted yourself? You say you don't typically play games on PC because they typically don't work, but then later on you go to say how it's isolated to this game, because other emulators and games worked.

How is that contradicting? I'm not saying that the other games I've played never had issues before starting, because literally all of them have. I'm saying that the other games didn't have this particular controller connectivity issue that has still prevented me from even starting this game.

Why are you trying to "gotcha" me?

Around the Network
spemanig said:
VGPolyglot said:

How is that contradicting? I'm not saying that the other games I've played never had issues before starting, because literally all of them have. I'm saying that the other games didn't have this particular controller connectivity issue that has still prevented me from even starting this game.

I guess I was mainly questioning why you even decided to bring that up?

VGPolyglot said:
spemanig said:

Because people, even educated gamers, still believe PC as a platform is at fault for issues or being too complicated. Despite the fact that most modern games are fine on PC. Seriously, PC gaming is not complicated... 

All I can assume is spem is having such bad luck is : 

A) Shitty OS(Mac OS... although he might only be using a Mac right now)

B) Bad game choice

C) Bad luck

like I said, I thought using a controller would be complicated even as a PC gamer. I just assumed id need to purchase a third party controller or a dongle.  It wasnt until literally today that someome on vgc told me I can just hook up a USB Xbox One controller into windows. It was so easy. Which is great because no controller stopped me from buying Hollow Knight and Hob

VGPolyglot said:
spemanig said:

Because it's annoying.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
VGPolyglot said:

Because people, even educated gamers, still believe PC as a platform is at fault for issues or being too complicated. Despite the fact that most modern games are fine on PC. Seriously, PC gaming is not complicated... 

B) Bad game choice

C) Bad luck

like I said, I thought using a controller would be complicated even as a PC gamer. I just assumed id need to purchase a third party controller or a dongle.  It wasnt until literally today that someome on vgc told me I can just hook up a USB Xbox One controller into windows. It was so easy. Which is great because no controller stopped me from buying Hollow Knight and Hob

It is though. I cannot reliably download a game and just have it work every time. It may not be the controller every time, but it's almost always something. Almost always something that has to be googled or tweaked.

It's the game. I've already said this. I know where the problem is. All of AM2R reddit does. It's not a shitty OS and it's not bad luck. It's the game. I just want to solve it.

We're getting off topic. Please help me solve it instead of being sensitive about a harmless comment.

You need a PC if you want to play games, not a Mac...

spemanig said:
VGPolyglot said:

Because it's annoying.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

B) Bad game choice

C) Bad luck

It is though. I cannot reliably download a game and just have it work every time. It may not be the controller every time, but it's almost always something. Almost always something that has to be googled or tweaked.

It's the game. I've already said this. I know where the problem is. All of AM2R reddit does. It's not a shitty OS and it's not bad luck. It's the game. I just want to solve it.

We're getting off topic. Please help me solve it instead of being sensitive about a harmless comment.

It's not about being sensitive though. I genuinely don't understand how you're having a problem. You just said the entire subreddit knew the problem ... so why don't they know the answer??? We don't even know the problem and you're asking us to solve it. Like i'm not trying to be rude, I don't get the problem. Maybe the game is just not compatible with controllers right now??? Is there any proof that the developer made the game around controllers?