By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - FIFA 18 on Switch accounted for 1% of all UK physical copies sold

Locknuts said:
1% of Fifa sales in the UK is still over 50 million copies so that's not bad.

8k actually.

jonathanalis said:
In some brasilian foruns I participate, people are gerring crazy with these news.
They start a conspiracy that EA is sabotating the nintendo switch.
The arguments:
-EA is decreasing the supply of nintedo switch versions(they see less copies on shelves than ps360 versions).
-EA would say that the version dont sell on switch and would not bring fifa 2019 and other to switch.
-They only made fifa 2018 to comprove that : we tryed, but it dont sell.

Man, too crazy. Im trying to explain that the ps360 is still relevant for fifa, that EA never cared about nintendo consumers opinion on them, and that a company goal is profit, why would they spend money on something they are sabotaging?

GhaudePhaede010 said:
jonathanalis said:
In some brasilian foruns I participate, people are gerring crazy with these news.
The arguments:
-EA is decreasing the supply of nintedo switch versions(they see less copies on shelves than ps360 versions).
-EA would say that the version dont sell on switch and would not bring fifa 2019 and other to switch.

Man, too crazy. Im trying to explain that the ps360 is still relevant for fifa, that EA never cared about nintendo consumers opinion on them, and that a company goal is profit, why would they spend money on something they are sabotaging?

I think the more important question is:

Why would a game that only sold 8,000 copies be sold out anywhere? The only logical answer is: self-sabotage. Trying to figure out why a business does things is futile. Trying to figure out how these numbers fit into context is a far easier endeavor.

No matter how much I want to believe it is something else, if I say I want to sell 8 boxes of peanuts but only have 4 boxes, then of course I can say I never met my sales expectations since I could not possibly reach 8 boxes sold.

Why would any company invest several hundred thousand dollars on self-sabotage? It makes much more sense to guess that they didn't expect much sales for the version seeing like there is still stock in several places.

Metallox said:
jonathanalis said:
The arguments:

They're not decreasing supply, I mean, there have been issues here and there in the UK, but it's not as if we were talking about 10K people who couldn't get their copy, the quantity is actually way smaller, probably between 2 and 4K people who couldn't find their physical copy. The problem lies on the fact that EA set expectations too low, they probably didn't even care about it and totally knew the Switch version would flop, and this can also be noticed when we consider they didn't release a single trailer for the Switch version and the lack of in-game screenshots in NA eShop section. Promotion was also very scarce, we saw very restrictive off-screen footage, and even Nintendo was the first one to release docked gameplays at Gamescom.  

Even divisive statements from one of the guys in charge of EA Bucharest was one of the things that most stood out within Nintendo fans in regards to FIFA 18, when he described the game as being "more social so newcomers don't get overwhelmed", so he didn't need to admit the Switch version is, in reality, a second-class citizen release. 

I think EA simply is too skeptical in regards of the Switch and simply doesn't care about it. FIFA 18 for instance feels almost as a compromise, as if Nintendo was the first one to approach EA for one of their titles. What currently separates EA from folks like Bethesda and 2K, for example, it's maybe that these two genuinely got interested in the system, or perhaps Nintendo continuously requested them to produce for the Switch.

it's really crazy to think a company would put money to screw themselves instead of just not releasing it. It probably is cheaper to produce only 10k copies for UK launch and do a second print of how much they gauge interest for than doing 50k copies and end up having 40k on shelves after launch without perspective of sales.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

I think the more important question is:

Why would a game that only sold 8,000 copies be sold out anywhere? The only logical answer is: self-sabotage. Trying to figure out why a business does things is futile. Trying to figure out how these numbers fit into context is a far easier endeavor.

No matter how much I want to believe it is something else, if I say I want to sell 8 boxes of peanuts but only have 4 boxes, then of course I can say I never met my sales expectations since I could not possibly reach 8 boxes sold.

Why would any company invest several hundred thousand dollars on self-sabotage? It makes much more sense to guess that they didn't expect much sales for the version seeing like there is still stock in several places.

By that logic, why would you spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to ship such a low number? They make money from retailer buys and not consumer buys anyway. So, if they oversell to retailers, it becomes less their issue than the retailers problem. Would that not sound like self sabotage to you? Invest all that money and then not even attempt to sell them... yes, that sounds like self sabotage to me.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

MajorMalfunction said:
think-man said:
Not good, but enough people have already said so.

Do you think EA will come back for FIFA 19? I don't know. If the numbers are actually sub-10K, I don't personally think it's a sound investment. It's doing about as well as it did on a 12 year old console. Not good. Not good at all.

I think they will, it's too early to pull out now. The next title will probably sell more. 

Lets see:

Bomberman  -   9,137

Arms 11,764

SFII 4,686

Fifa 18 - 8,300

Well, if we take in consideration that all of these other games are Switch exclusives, then I would say that it didnt do THAT bad, all things considered.

160rmf said:

I thought Switch owners were desperately needing games for the system..... What am I missing?

You're not missing anything. I think they still are but this is a football game - will people who aren't into football go out and buy FIFA? I don't think so. A sports game would most likely sell to people who are fans of that sports genre already. And guess what FIFA fans own? PlayStations and Xboxes to play with their mates. This is not just a genre we're talking about - like platformer or fighting games. It's a specific section of the sports game genre. Honestly I can't really think of another genre like that.

Around the Network
Cloudman said:
KLAMarine said:

No, I think just Fifa as far as this example is concerned assuming the effort in porting and then selling Switch Fifa didn't yield profit for EA. My guess is the process wasn't too expensive if EA is still bothering to port to the 360.

Additionally, some third parties sold best on Switch. I think Sonic Mania sold best on Switch judging by Amazon rankings.

Even then, I still wonder if this would mean the end for EA and Nintendo. Is there any info on other areas besides the UK? There's still chances for better sales elsewhere.

If the effort was profitable, EA will continue and sequels will be cheaper since sports games don't seem to change very much. A common complaint I see with respect to games like Fifa, Madden, 2k, and so on is that the sequels have a lot of recycling.

I'm predicting a lot of recycling if the Switch gets a Fifa 19.

tripenfall said:
My friends in the UK who are trying to find a Switch copy are finding it hard to find - apparently more stock is shipping next week so lets see. On a small install base and in an area of the world where Sony reigns I think it's too early to call Fifa 18 Switch a bomb. Worldwide sales should be decent for this title....

Yeah, I don't really believe your friend because I can see online that there are stock for the game.

as people said before, UK turned out to be the weakest main market for Nintendo the last few years, so we have to judge based on what it sold in the rest of Europe

also, this is the first FIFA switch title, it could pick up by time and as the user base grows Ps4/Xb1 version owners could still buy the Switch version to play anywhere with friends etc, only time will tell

sure thing, you can't generalize the 3rd party for Switch based on the first FIFA 18 week in the UK

does the 8k figure include digital btw?

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Lawlight said:
tripenfall said:
My friends in the UK who are trying to find a Switch copy are finding it hard to find - apparently more stock is shipping next week so lets see. On a small install base and in an area of the world where Sony reigns I think it's too early to call Fifa 18 Switch a bomb. Worldwide sales should be decent for this title....

Yeah, I don't really believe your friend because I can see online that there are stock for the game.

We have here of forum person that said same thing (coment below), and fact is that Amazon UK sold out game last week, so it's obvious that Switch version of game is undersupplied in some way.

"Because it's under supplied as hell. Game UK - out of stock, Amazon UK - In stock on October 9, 2017. During the weekend I couldn't find it anywhere locally. I think now Argos and Tesco got some copies. "

dark_gh0st_b0y said:
well, the Switch accounts for 2.8% of the Ps4+Xbox1+Switch market in the UK, 1% is a bit lower yes but nothing unexpected

That really put things in perspective, nobody expecting (including EA) that 3rd party games will have same polarity on Switch like they have on PS4/XB1.