By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - No more 'PlayStation' football from United, promises Mkhitaryan

"Midfielder Henrikh Mkhitaryan admits Jose Mourinho's "PlayStation football" criticism will be at the back of Manchester United's mind when they take the field against CKSA Moscow tonight.

The United boss admonished his side after the 3-0 win over Basel earlier this month in their opening Champions League match, claiming they stopped being professional having gone 2-0 up early in the second half."

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0927/907854-mkhitaryan/

Never heard a big manager use this word before.  Nice bit of free PR for PlayStation all the same. So what does he mean by Playstation football? 

Around the Network

Kerotan said:

So what does he mean by Playstation football? 

In many countries we don't even say Fifa or Pes, it's just "playstation".

It's also used to describe something like Barcelona's golden age, winning 7-0 is like playing "the playstation".

Or it can mean a tactic focused on scoring lots of goals and maintaining possession, something like the Tiki-Taka.

Europe is always PlayStation =]

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Haha that's brilliant. Thanks for the explanations. The power of Playstation in europe!

Around the Network

Like other users said, Playstation football is often used in europe and south america to describe pretty, fast and over the top football. Like the videos posted,I've seen when people try to describe teams like Barcelona or players like Messi.

On the other hand, people use it to say "not serious", like in an attempt to achieve what was described before but with a lack of professionalism. I guess this is what Mou and others were talking about. I've also heard stuff like "This isn't playstation where you can do things easily" (set tactics, see which players have the best stats, see plays from above, control every player, etc...)

With that said, "Playstation" is what they use to say FIFA or PES. It's impressive how attached the PS brand is to football, I don't think that will change anytime soon.

pastro243 said:
Like other users said, Playstation football is often used in europe and south america to describe pretty, fast and over the top football. Like the videos posted,I've seen when people try to describe teams like Barcelona or players like Messi.

On the other hand, people use it to say "not serious", like in an attempt to achieve what was described before but with a lack of professionalism. I guess this is what Mou and others were talking about. I've also heard stuff like "This isn't playstation where you can do things easily" (set tactics, see which players have the best stats, see plays from above, control every player, etc...)

With that said, "Playstation" is what they use to say FIFA or PES. It's impressive how attached the PS brand is to football, I don't think that will change anytime soon.

Well if you watch footbal on TV you see Playstation 4  plastered around the stadiums and it's not just the big European leagues, here in Australia PS4 branding is at every level from A league down to state and local level the only difference is at lower levels theirs is the only major signage. So the players and managers see Playstation every time and everywhere they play so it becomes ingrained so much so they don't call it  playing like fifa  after the video game  itself.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mjk45 said:
pastro243 said:

Well if you watch footbal on TV you see Playstation 4  plastered around the stadiums and it's not just the big European leagues, here in Australia PS4 branding is at every level from A league down to state and local level the only difference is at lower levels theirs is the only major signage. So the players and managers see Playstation every time and everywhere they play so it becomes ingrained so much so they don't call it  playing like fifa  after the video game  itself.

We could also add that technically, football is FIFA football anyway, so an expression like that would make no sense ^^.