By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How much money do you spend a day on food?

Ka-pi96 said:
numberwang said:

Many long term saving accounts do not require a minmum, but I would prefer something tangible like stocks, either a index or a larger portfolio from companies that you like. You still might have to save the first thousands without interest helping you...

Stocks have a long term average returns of 7% over the last century, so it is attainable. Btw if you save 10$ a day with 7% over 45 years you will have more than a million.

And many savings accounts don't offer anywhere near 3%

As for stocks, no guarantee at all you'll get the average (or even make a profit at all). Significantly harder to do anything in stocks with small amounts like $5 as well.

And like the stock fees everytime you buy some. So $3 or $10 a day is unfeasible.

Around the Network

I think it would be a little difficult to do the math considering I do 7 meals per day. Of course not all of them has meat, and some are as simple as a couple of bananas or a salad.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Breakfast $2-7 ($4.5)
Lunch 8-15 (average $11.50)
Dinner 10-20 ( average $15)

I eat out way too much .... about $30 a day

Probably $20 a day or so. $1 day will get you what a double cheeseburger from McDs and that's it. I hope you're not suffering from malnourishment or have an eating disorder OP.

Farsala said:
Ka-pi96 said:

And many savings accounts don't offer anywhere near 3%

As for stocks, no guarantee at all you'll get the average (or even make a profit at all). Significantly harder to do anything in stocks with small amounts like $5 as well.

And like the stock fees everytime you buy some. So $3 or $10 a day is unfeasible.

Do not take the 5$ a day literally, it is an average, just save some money and put it into some savings from time to time.

Around the Network

I spend too much.

I (just feeding myself, not family) spend anywhere from ~$15 (fully eating food from home) to $25 (eating out at meh places) to $50 (eating out at decent places). Sometimes lunch alone will cost me $20.

However, I'm trying to spend less on eating out. Healthier and saves some money I don't need to spend on that.

me personally ? mostly 0€.
my parents buy groceries for 20-50€ a week and cook 3-4 for dinner times a week.
for breakfast / lunch I eat mostly sandwiches or cornflakes and fruits in between. I take those sandwiches to college. I mostly drink tap water and tea / instant coffee.

I probably spend more than a lot of people do, solely because I bake as a hobby.

As for how much I spend a day, that's a tricky question for a few reasons, but if I were to take out certain things that would make it hard to calculate... I would say I probably spend about $3/day on just desserts I make. 

edit: $3/day minimum, average would be higher.  As for other foods, that is currently not possible to calculate since I'm not paying right now.

A fresh bread I just took out of my machine - 1$ in ingredients & will make many sandwiches.

1/3 wheat, 2/3 rye, water, salt, leaven, sourdough

OhNoYouDont said:
Probably $20 a day or so. $1 day will get you what a double cheeseburger from McDs and that's it. I hope you're not suffering from malnourishment or have an eating disorder OP.

I wish a double cheeseeburger cost that much here haha. Here they probably like $4.80 (so like 3.50 or so USD)