By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - 11th - 17th Sept 2017

the_dengle said:

Why are we arguing about home vs handheld again. It was settled long ago. Switch is a home console when you need to downplay its power and a handheld when you need to downplay its sales in Japan. End of discussion.

That's pretty spot on!

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
GhaudePhaede010 said:
Miyamotoo said:

It doesnt have anything with specs, fact is that Nintendo made Switch in way that can act like real home console or like real home console, so its hybrid.

What Switch separate from other handhelds is that from start idea is to make device that can be used like real home console, and what Switch separate from other home consoles is that is from start to make devaice that can act like real handheld.

Home console - All processing is in the docked unit (designed to be played in one locale). See: NES, SNES, Nintedo 64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U.

Hand held - All processing is in the portable unit. Self reliant. See: Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, DS, 3DS, Switch.

Hybrid -  Computational and/or graphical processing split between both the docked unit and the portable station. See: In gaming, nothing exists yet.

Switch is no more a hybrid than Wii U. And in case you forgot, nobody called Wii U a hybrid. One day, a real hybrid will be released and people that call Switch a hybrid will realize Switch is a hand held that can be hooked up, conveniently, to a television. How you play your gaming console does not setermine what the console actually is. I have used about a dozen examples of other, real life items to express my point. This topic is so redundant.

A home video game console, or simply home console, is a video game device that is primarily used for home gamers, as opposed to in arcades or some other commercial establishment. Home consoles are one type of video game consoles, in contrast to the handheld game consoles which are smaller and portable, allowing people to carry them and play them at any time or place, along with microconsoles and dedicated consoles.

Nobody really called Wii U hybrid because it did not offer full handheld experience, you couldn't go out and play it. But Switch offers full handheld experience and full home console experience, it's basically hybrid of handheld and home console in one devaice, it can be used like real home console or like real handheld.

the_dengle said:

Why are we arguing about home vs handheld again. It was settled long ago. Switch is a home console when you need to downplay its power and a handheld when you need to downplay its sales in Japan. End of discussion.

So Schrödinger's console? Truly a mystery of science.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

GhaudePhaede010 said:
Jranation said:
Or maybe someone should know that the Switch is a Home Console not a Handheld. Even Vgchartz agrees with this.

It first need to sell more than the home console record. Was it PS2? With 13mil?

Switch is a hand held. Ughhhh why do people do this?

The Switch is a hybrid, since it can be played as both.Or if you wanna go by the official definition, its a home console.

I personally dont like when people say "Its OBVIOUSLY a handheld" and I hate when people say the Switch is a tablet.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Kyuu said:
Switch is doing great all things considered, and PS4 decent.

Metroid and Uncharted pretty much bombed as expected, while Dragon Quest dropped like a rock which is painful to see.. terrible legs. Splatoon 2 may considerably decline as well if standard Switch consoles become more available.

P.S: The Switch is only a "hybrid" because it has a homeconsole-like game development and costs. That aside, it's very much a powerful handheld with a little gimmick from a Chinese device. Also in this context, being a hybrid puts it in a better position than if it were a standard portable.

Some guys are trying to pass it off as a "home console" so as to overstate its success, without knowing that the whole hybrid thing makes it even more desirable in Japan than a standard handheld, let alone a home console.

I'm super interested in Switch's future baseline in Japan when the 3DS is no longer supported, Pokemon and Animal Crossing arrive, and the supply issues are no more.

Nobody is trying to pass it a home console to make it seem like its a bigger success than it is.We are just stating what the Switch is, which is a hybrid.It can be played as a normal home console, on a screen, while you sit on the couch.Or can beplayed as a handheld, which you can bring whener you go.

I dont undersatnd why people want to keep pressing this narrative of "Switch is obviuosly a handheld".My god, is it really that hard to see?I mean, you can considder it as a handheld or a home console, since you can play exclusively as one or the other.Thats your option.But the Switch is clearly a hybrid, since it has the function of both.

I feel like this misconception will prolong itself for some years, until the Switch, or its conception, becomes a norm.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:

lol

Thats actually pretty spot on.

Ka-pi96 said:
Nautilus said:

Nobody is trying to pass it a home console to make it seem like its a bigger success than it is.We are just stating what the Switch is, which is a hybrid.It can be played as a normal home console, on a screen, while you sit on the couch.Or can beplayed as a handheld, which you can bring whener you go.

I dont undersatnd why people want to keep pressing this narrative of "Switch is obviuosly a handheld".My god, is it really that hard to see?I mean, you can considder it as a handheld or a home console, since you can play exclusively as one or the other.Thats your option.But the Switch is clearly a hybrid, since it has the function of both.

I feel like this misconception will prolong itself for some years, until the Switch, or its conception, becomes a norm.

Nobody, you say? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8563787

Fine, most of us lol.

Kerotan and Jranation are outliners

Nautilus said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Nobody, you say? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8563787

Fine, most of us lol.

Miyamotoo did too

He literally made an entire thread about it

Kyuu said:
Nautilus said:

Jeez.. what's with all the drama? :(

I've already explained myself, call the Switch whatever name that puts a smile on your face. Jrantation literally called it a "Home console and not a portable" so he can compare to the PS2 lol.

As far as the hardware goes, the Switch is essentially a phablet. Nintendo's approach is different this time because they no longer make home consoles. So they made some design adjustments and provided the tools to make it easy to play on a TV.

If you define hybrid by playing on TV from your couch, then I guess original Vita too is a hybrid. Seeing as you can also connect it to a TV and enjoy your games on a bigger screen. Yes, you don't quite get the same "home console experience" that you get with the Switch.. but that's due to game design and development costs that are unrelated to any advantage Switch (as a piece of hardware) would have over a similarily spec'd portable.

I agree it's a hybrid in the sense that it ultimately delivers home console like experinece. But the hardware itself is really just a powerful handheld with a little twist. Not that there is anything wrong with this. It's one magnificent portable.

Switch's advantage is what Nintendo chose to use it for. Not the detachable joycons or the dock that connects you to the TV.

Theere is no drama here.Im just trying to clear this misconception about the Switch.If you see a nice conversation as a drama, its because you want to see it as one.

Now, it should be noted that exceptions should be excluded.There will be always people that are too enthusiastic about their consoles of choice for their own good, like Jranation, Kerotan and Dr. Vita.It should go without saying that, outside of a few situations, they will always try to spin the news and information in their favor.

Having said that, the Switch is clearly a hybrid.I dont understand how people cannot understand this.You can see it as a handheld or a home console in the sense that you use exclusively as it is, but the console is designed to be both.Being a home console or a handheld is not defined by where the main hardware is, as one user believes, but rather how that hardware is used and is designed to be used.The problem with your Vita example is that first of all, when you buy a vita it doestn come with a Vita TV.Its two separate products.If you classify that as a hybrid product, I could say the same about PCs and laptops.If I have both, would that then make my PC a hybrid?Of course not.Second point is that the Vita TV is a half assed product.I dont mean in the sense that games doesnt feel like a home console experience, but rather that the hardware itself is not up to snuff, as in very few games actually work with it.

For the Switch though, its the complete oposite.Both its sidesare considered equaly.It was designed as such from the get go.Its not a handheld, its not a home console, and not even a tablet(If the form a product defined what it was, definition of a word nowadays would be such a choes lol).It is,what is is because ofhow it was designed to do things and not by its form factor or by how much teraflops it has.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Nautilus said:

Fine, most of us lol.

Miyamotoo did too

He literally made an entire thread about it

Yeah, Miyamotoo can also be a bit too extreme.Dr. Vita is also one such example of extremist.