By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Pokemon Thread - Pokemon Legends Arceus + Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl Announced

Around the Network

Well after having dumped about 11 hours into it all I really have to say is that it's a 3DS Poke'mon game that was ported to the Switch, and had the National Dex cut out. If you like 3DS style Poke'mon and can deal with only 400 creatures you'll like this one. It's a real shame GF couldn't have done better though. Just look at how much Fire Emblem improved from being mostly a handheld series.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Well after having dumped about 11 hours into it all I really have to say is that it's a 3DS Poke'mon game that was ported to the Switch, and had the National Dex cut out. If you like 3DS style Poke'mon and can deal with only 400 creatures you'll like this one. It's a real shame GF couldn't have done better though. Just look at how much Fire Emblem improved from being mostly a handheld series.

What are you on about Fire Emblem has been on consoles since the NES.

Wyrdness said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

That's why I said mostly. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
Wyrdness said:

8 console games 8 portables.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

True, but a lot of the console versions were on NES or SNES. The only two FE games that were really anything close to modern 3D were the Gamecube and Wii games. So the majority of Fire Emblem games were of 3DS level graphics or worse. I was kind of worried for Intelligent Systems transition back to home consoles because the only modern 3D FE on a home console, that got great critical reviews was the GC one. 

Anyway, Intelligent Systems did a good job transitioning their series to Switch. GameFreak did not. There should have been full voice acting in Sword/Shield like in Three Houses. There should have been elaborate animations in Sword/Shield like how there is in Three Houses. There shouldn't be alphamap grass in Sword/Shield. There shouldn't be such low poly tree in the wild area. The framerate shouldn't dip like it does in the wild area. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
Wyrdness said:

True, but a lot of the console versions were on NES or SNES. The only two FE games that were really anything close to modern 3D were the Gamecube and Wii games. So the majority of Fire Emblem games were of 3DS level graphics or worse. I was kind of worried for Intelligent Systems transition back to home consoles because the only modern 3D FE on a home console, that got great critical reviews was the GC one. 

Anyway, Intelligent Systems did a good job transitioning their series to Switch. GameFreak did not. There should have been full voice acting in Sword/Shield like in Three Houses. There should have been elaborate animations in Sword/Shield like how there is in Three Houses. There shouldn't be alphamap grass in Sword/Shield. There shouldn't be such low poly tree in the wild area. The framerate shouldn't dip like it does in the wild area. 

This doesn't really make sense because GC level was near enough the top level for consoles at the time only being beaten out by Xbox so they were well used to console development long before now so regardless they were never new to console development or its intricacies even when you look at the series the portable side only caught up in numbers due to the 3DS having 3 games and that in itself was fortunate as the first of those 3 games was going to be the series swan song which is why they handled it differently than all prior games so it was more of a console based franchise for decades.

People have gone on about what they want in Sw/Sh in the other thread for weeks now this thread is mainly to discuss the game and not migrate the same argument to this thread.

Wyrdness said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

This doesn't really make sense because GC level was near enough the top level for consoles at the time only being beaten out by Xbox so they were well used to console development long before now so regardless they were never new to console development or its intricacies even when you look at the series the portable side only caught up in numbers due to the 3DS having 3 games and that in itself was fortunate as the first of those 3 games was going to be the series swan song which is why they handled it differently than all prior games so it was more of a console based franchise for decades.

People have gone on about what they want in Sw/Sh in the other thread for weeks now this thread is mainly to discuss the game and not migrate the same argument to this thread.

Yeah, I didn't mean to drag that argument into this thread.  

Morpeko is a problematic pokemon to deal with as its dynamic in changing between its two types each turn is a unique situation players won't be used to be sure to have a ground, fairy, bug or fighting type on hand against it.

Edit: Also while on the topic of unique mons Toxel has a trait of its own where its evolved form differs depending on its nature.

Last edited by Wyrdness - on 18 November 2019

Just beat the Champion, with a team of:

Lv 71 Sirfetch'd

Lv 72 Quagsire

Lv 74 Flapple

Lv 77 Cursola

Lv 73 Obstagoon

Lv 72 Copperajah

Spoiler!

The endgame is so rushed, my fucking god. Zero build-up for the entire game, then a tiny bit of exposition from Rose, a battle against Eternatus and I'm done? The champion battle was eh as well. It felt good to kick Dante's teeth in with Quagsire, but he needed to be around Lv 70 honestly.

Then past that, I don't think I've ever felt disappointed in the credits of a game before, but somehow this game's managed to do it. All past generations, there's been the whole enrolling in the hall of fame thing, and it feels like the end of a journey with your friends. This had none of that, they didn't even show the team during the credit roll like RSE, just no acknowledgement at all. A random Pokemon band instead? It was kind of deflating honestly.

Main campaign was better than both XY and SM (as in a more fun playthrough - story is practically non-existent in SwSh so there's no comparison there), but the pacing was so bad. If it had kept the early game pace (and cut Hop), this would have been one of the better games in the series, but as it stands it's pretty low imo.

Gens (main games): 3=5 > 4 > 2 >>> 1 > 8 >> 6 >>> 7

There was a lot of potential here (raid battles and the wild area are great fun, when they work properly) but it's only been 50% realised. Outsource remakes, extend the development cycle to 3 years of full-focus being put on the next instalment and it will be something special.