By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Blizzard charges people 88000$ to host a StarCraft Remastered tournament, game sold below 200k units

More bad news for StarCraft Remastered. There is a heated debate in Broodwar forums how Blizzard is overcharging people to host a tournaments of StarCraft Remastered.

Since Starcarft Remastered is failing in Korea they are now nickel and diming what made Starcraft so great in the first place, the Korean Starcraft esport community. Down below the original article translated who leaked the tournament fees info, you can see that the article mentions how Starcraft Remastered is doing below exceptiontions.
I think its pretty dumb how Blizzard is charges their own esport community instead getting their money back ''elsewhere''. This will stiffer the SC1 esport scene and put game sales in the continious downwards trend.
Looking at the ladder rankings, Starcraft Remastered cant have sold more than 200k units globally, and this doesnt include multiple created accounts in PC bangs in Asia etc. This is pretty low for an overhyped 15$ Remaster, it probably didnt cover the costs to redo the graphics.
-----
[Seoul Sports Kim Jin-wook] Blizzard's newly released 'StarCraft: Remaster' e-sport contest is surprisingly not active, attracting industry attention.
Blizzard Entertainment has officially released StarCraft: Remaster, a reinterpretation of StarCraft: Brood War, which has been popular for over 20 years.
The StarCraft: Remaster enthusiastically caught up with domestic and foreign gamers with the news that it was being developed in March. On July 30th, GG Together, a StarCraft: Remaster event held in Gwangalli, Busan, attracted over 10,000 spectators and led to an atmosphere of recreating the myth of 100,000 spectators. On the day of the event, the search results related to the StarCraft: Remaster was dominated by the top ranking of the major portal sites.
Since launch, various StarCraft: Remaster-related e-sports competitions have been expected. But there is no news yet. Only Afreeca TV, which has held steady tournament with Dan, StarCraft: Remaster will hold ASL Season 4 starting from the opening day of the 10th. It is to hold the regular convention which I held in the star 1 as a StarCraft: Remaster.
Older gamers who are expecting to enjoy the same popularity as in the past due to a variety of e-sports events will be disappointed. This is why the StarCraft: Remaster has been released, but if you look at the PC rankings, it remains 3% without any change from before the release of the StarCraft: Remaster.
This atmosphere is analyzed by Blizzard's policy. According to the industry, Blizzard is required to pay a license fee of 100 million won (USD 88344) for hosting a StarCraft: Remaster regular competition. For this reason, broadcasters who were trying to attract e-sports competitors are reluctant to hold a StarCraft: Remaster competition. If you have a minimum cost of 400 million won (USD 353376) to host the StarCraft: Remaster, and if you provide 100 million won (USD 88344) to the license fee, it costs about 500 million won (USD 441720).
LoL has dominated the PC online e-sports market, and various mobile games are trying to make e-sports. Here, "Battle Ground" and other events are scheduled for official e-sports events. There is no reason to insist on StarCraft: Remaster from the standpoint of broadcasters.
WEGL' led by identity entertainment and 'WCG' led by Smilegate are said to be worried about holding a StarCraft: Remaster e-sport tournament. In the industry, "WEGL and WCG have a considerable cost to host the competition, and will they attract the competition by paying a license fee of 100 million won (USD 88344) to attract the StarCraft: Remaster event?" Blizzard asked for a 100 million won (USD 88344) line- StarCraft: Remaster will not be adopted as an event.
"We encourage community e-sports and amateur e-sports," said Blizzard, "but it can vary depending on the form, size, case or case. "We can not generalize about license costs," he said.
In the industry, "Blizzard recently launched a pay-per-view model of the StarCraft: Remaster for the PC room. In the past, when StarCraft: Brood War was released, it was a model that only purchased a star package. This is why a small StarCraft: Remaster tournament was held at the center of the PC room to help activate e-sports, but it is no longer necessary for the PC room to play such a role anymore. "Blizzard sold the package, It is making a lot of money. Now that Blizzard is in a position to invest in e-sports, it is a matter of thinking that it would be a problem to take profit by holding an e-sports tournament. "

Around the Network

opinions?

Ruler said:
opinions?

You already made a Starcraft thread, so I don't need to post in this one.

Sees a thread about Blizzard/SC

Notices OP.

Same old story as usual

Also "more bad news", you just can't help but take digs at Blizzard and Starcraft/PC can you?.

The game is still held as an e-sport, same with SCII. You don't suddenly make it a non esport out of nowhere.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

VGPolyglot said:
Ruler said:
opinions?

You already made a Starcraft thread, so I don't need to post in this one.

All he's going to do is bide his time and wait to post more threads on SC having bad news and generally anything towards PC in a bad light.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

Starcraft Brood War will always be a classic. Brood War had LAN. Brood War it did not have micro-transactions. Brood War had esports before esports were popular. I purchased Overwatch, but I am not sure I will be getting the next Blizzard game given the current business practices that Blizzard is using.

It is nice that Afreeca TV is still doing Brood War esports (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK5eBtuoj_HkdXKHNmBLAXg/videos). I hope Blizzard does not kill Brood War esports now that it is making a come back.

Games I have Finished

http://pastebin.com/eMdjSjFc

Did Blizzard kill your dog or something?

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Ruler said:
opinions?

Most of the "opinions" got covered in the last StarCraft thread you made.
Doubt many people have anything new to add.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I see no one interested at this game.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:
I see no one interested at this game.

Should there be? It's almost a 20 year old game. And it plays exactly the same as a 20 year old game.
It just got a visual overhaul.

Blizzard still managed to get me to buy the game a 4th time, so there is that I guess.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--