By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Hurricane Irma Was Fake...

Tagged games:

Is Irma as fake as The Donald?

Yes. 23 23.00%

No. 21 21.00%

Donald's fake, Irma isn't. 56 56.00%

Total:100
SpokenTruth said:
Johnw1104 said:

I live in San Marco... on River Road actually, which literally had the waves from the river crashing up against the front doors of our buildings.

Honestly, as far as San Marco goes I count myself lucky... the water seems to have only risen to a little over two inches inside and didn't linger too long. It'll be a long time before the place is livable again, but I think I'll be able to salvage most of my stuff.

Our buildings are elevated so the subsequent floods from tidal factors and such after the initial surge haven't been getting back in, but a lot of the community is just sitting in a lake right now.

I'm about to head out and buy a bunch of supplies, and I plan to wade my way to the apartment tomorrow morning around 11:00 while the tides are low... gonna clean what I can and see if I can prevent a super destructive outbreak of mold (with no power for the foreseeable future the lack of AC is going to make mold an immediate problem). It's a ~100 year old building with mold and dry rot issues already, so it may wind up needing to be gutted.

That's harsh.  Good luck.  I've been considering moving to San Marco or back to Riverside but now though.....perhaps more into the interior of those neighborhoods and not right on the river.

Just learned from the landlord that they're going to have to completely gut the bottom two apartments (one of which I live in), floors and walls. I suppose on the bright side I'll wind up with a new apartment and not paying rent in the meantime, but it looks like I'll have to move for a bit.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
Johnw1104 said:

Just learned from the landlord that they're going to have to completely gut the bottom two apartments (one of which I live in), floors and walls. I suppose on the bright side I'll wind up with a new apartment and not paying rent in the meantime, but it looks like I'll have to move for a bit.

Damn.  Did they give you a timeline for all that?

No one in Jax has any kind of timeline, there's flood damage all over the place. Supposedly he's alreay got a contractor on board though, and the building manager is a really cool and hardworking guy so he won't just let it linger... still, I have to think the dry wall will take quite a while, and the power is still out there while being difficult to reach due to flooding. 

Basically, anything less than two months would probably be a miracle, but he's insisting he'll try to get it done in around one (I think he's being insanely optimistic).

Well I can confirm it wasn't fake at all. Eye of storm passed about 15 miles west of us and it was pretty damn nasty. And the storm was so huge and slow moving that it just felt like it lasted forever. Trees down everywhere, huge amounts of cleanup. We somehow got power back after about 30 hours without, which is nothing short of a miracle. Spent 2 days from dawn to dusk cleaning debris and still have a lot of work left to do. Oh and the roof has to be replaced due to all the shingles that flew off!

Oi, there are people who think the Sandy Hook shooting was fake. More recently some have opened the conspiracy that Michelle Obama is trans... It's all stupid.

I used to believe in conspiracies. I followed people like Alex Jones, Jim Marrs, and Jesse Ventura. Believed them until they started talking about "lizard people" and stuff like that. I was just turning 13 before I stopped believing in them though. I realized the only reason I believed them to begin with was because I had a poor understanding of government, science, and being able to distiguish what is and isn't possible technologically-wise these day.

vivster said:
You really can't think of a single reason why the media would make up a big event that draws a huge audience to their websites and channels where by mere coincident also all of their advertisers are? Not a single one?

Make up or hype up, vivster? I'm worried for your sanity with this answer.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
Well they got huge ratings and we waited and waited and waited and then got mild flooding. Weather people do not care about reputation anymore, just money.

A storm not affecting you does not mean the threat was overplayed. There's currently severe flooding across Florida all the way up to Jacksonville, and the Keys are an absolute mess.

NintendoPie said:
d21lewis said:
Obviously not fake and it's better safe than sorry but as a resident of Southeast Georgia, it was quickly apparent that some things were being blown out of proportion. So many conflicting news reports and too many reporters seemingly enjoying getting people riled up. I went to work and my wife stayed home but many people in my area evacuated.

We even stocked up on supplies but I didn't think anything major would come of it--at least in our area. Savannah got flooded a little but it takes nothing to flood those streets.

Your neighborhood not getting it as rough doesn't necessarily equate to the media blowing the whole thing out of proportion. Besides, I do agree that the media tried to hype this up somewhat, but in this case they should. If they just released statements like "Hurricane Irma might, maaaybe ruin your home" no one would take it seriously. It's better to overplay things like this than underplay them.

No argument here.

I know Florida and of course the islands got pounded. And, like I said, better safe than sorry. We had people hording water etc in my area and gas stations running out of gas (with inflated prices, no less). Irma was reported as "The biggest hurricane ever" or something to that extent.

I'm not disappointed. I just watched a lot of sources and some were acting like it was the end of the world while others where saying someone more along the lines of "Be careful and do what's best for the safety of your family. If you think you'll be okay, you don't have to evacuate."

I'm in Georgia, though. I figured we were far enough away from the coast to be okay. Only had a power outage for about a day.

spurgeonryan said:
Well they got huge ratings and we waited and waited and waited and then got mild flooding. Weather people do not care about reputation anymore, just money.

Just because you didn't bare the brunt of it doesn't alter anything , do you even know how forecasts work , it's never been an exact science , the reason is there are so many variables that can alter the outcome , having said that modeling and forecasting  have made great strides forward , plus anyone with knowledge of these systems knows that they  build their power over water, it's this warm water cold upper air dynamic that powers them so when they hit land they lose much of their strength , hence why Irma was downgraded , the problem is you don't know exactly when this will occur and to what extent. some hurricanes have been known to lose power over land and to pick up when the direction took them back out to sea , because of the fact that Irma was the most powerful hurricane recorded in the atlantic and the devastation it caused in the carribean , the prospect of widespread largescale destruction was well founded , and just because it didn't impact florida with the same ferocity  that the rest of the region endured, that is something to be grateful for rather than blame someone for and don't forget that it still took lives and caused in the US an estimated $50 billion or more in damages.  weather people are just doing their job their bank balance isn't tied to a storms final outcome.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

I don't believe anything anymore

Meanwhile in St. Martin people are killing each other for water and scraps...

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)