By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple should turn the Apple TV into a console

Raise the price from $199 to $399 or even $499, get some exclusive games and this thing will sell not only to the Apple fanatics but also gamers. Apple is getting into creative content, rumors say they'll have their own TV shows soon. They're increasingly spending more time on games in their premier reveal events, they had Mario there, Monument Valley, and thatgamecompany's new game Sky (and some AR game) was announced as a time exclusive yesterday to their platforms.

True, the margins are smaller on consoles, but Apple's will be higher than other platforms. They have superior supply chain. They don't need to outsource the most critical components: processors, their A series are the most powerful mobile chips and even rival low end macbooks, the new A11 Bionic chip is awesome (not gonna be surprised if macbooks move away from Intel in a few years). With a more high end version dedicated towards graphics (and without the motion and camera stuff), plus more ram it should match or supersede current gen consoles.  Not to mention the subscriptions they will have, undoubtedly at a higher price than PSN/XBL, and which they could combine with Apple Music and original TV series, there will be enough money for them to make.

So hardware wise there won't be an issue, the design will be great. When it comes to software, they won't have trouble getting the best minds in the industry. They can snag a ton of people from Blizzard, Bungie, Rockstar etc to come work for them, hell with their money they can acquire the companies (personal wish: buy Sega and bring old IPs back). Get some independent studios to become 1st party, like Obsidian, IO or Remedy. People who have experience with consoles like J Allard can be brought in.

Apple dominates the smartphone, they have the tablet market, the smart watch, soon they'll go in the car business. The only thing left to conquer is the living room. If they're making original TV content and competing with Netflix, HBO and Amazon, there's no reason why they shouldn't make interactive content.

Around the Network

Not yet, possibly not ever. While Apple is dipping their toes in content creation with TV shows, I don't see them going after the traditional gamer. It's frankly not worth it, especially when the current state of smartphone gaming is expanding every year and isn't "broken", revenues-wise at least.

Yeah, more exclusive content on the market for which you have to buy a useless plastic box is what people need.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Yeah, more exclusive content on the market for which you have to buy a useless plastic box is what people need.

Useless aluminium box.

I don't think Apple even want to get involved in the console market. They're already making a killing as is, so they probably feel like it isn't necessary, and they don't want to get bogged down into the console wars.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
I don't think Apple even want to get involved in the console market. They're already making a killing as is, so they probably feel like it isn't necessary, and they don't want to get bogged down into the console wars.

Thats a weak observation, Apple is willing to go to war with Netflix, HBO and Amazon for exclusive TV content. They will pour billions into their own shows. What makes you think they won't get themselves into other content? Especially something so big as gaming, the biggest form of entertainment. Why would they moneyhat thatgamecompany's next game? They dont control the living room, and sooner or later they might think about changing that. They might realize the best way to do that is a box that primarily plays games.

If not consoles, they could push for their own games in the App store, getting 100% of a game's revenue is better than a 30% cut. They could release a controller and make it the standard. Anything is possible, but I'm certain Apple will get into games one day.

Xen said:
vivster said:

Useless aluminium box.

My bad, forgot we were talking about Apple. So of course they would choose the more environmentally damaging material.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I disagree that this is a good idea. Apple is only interested in very casual games. Just look at the types of games they show at their presentations: infinity blade - the game which gameplay is basically depends on sliding one finger across the screen, super mario run - mario game which is played with one hand, yesterday they’ve shown the game which is played with one button and gyroscope. Do you really think it will make any good to the gaming industry if they succeed. This can change gaming forever.

P.S. I don’t really think they are interested in it right now. If they wanted to they could have entered this market a long time ago. The hardware even in previous Apple TV 4 is decent and I think that it is more powerful than switch. And Apple TV 4K is even more powerful. It can run games at 4K after all.

derpysquirtle64 said:
I disagree that this is a good idea. Apple is only interested in very casual games. Just look at the types of games they show at their presentations: infinity blade - the game which gameplay is basically depends on sliding one finger across the screen, super mario run - mario game which is played with one hand, yesterday they’ve shown the game which is played with one button and gyroscope. Do you really think it will make any good to the gaming industry if they succeed. This can change gaming forever.

P.S. I don’t really think they are interested in it right now. If they wanted to they could have entered this market a long time ago. The hardware even in previous Apple TV 4 is decent and I think that it is more powerful than switch. And Apple TV 4K is even more powerful. It can run games at 4K after all.

Yes, it will expand the console market and I do think Playstation needs a healthy competitor, Xbox is withering away as they're not willing to invest in games anymore. It's getting beaten in the UK - its second biggest market - by Nintendo. Apple, could rival Sony WWS. The one thing they will have to realize is that games sell consoles, all year round, and not just biggest AAA ones in "da season". When Apple enters it might also draw in other big players. Amazon hasn't waited and doing their own thing.

Ultimately it will be a good thing, for both them and us.

How powerfull is the Apple TV 4k thats comeing next?

Anyone got a idea of hardware specs? how does it stack up against say the nintendo switch?

(my impression watching youtube videos, is that its probably not that far from being switch level, that new Sky game looks great)