By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2017 : The Year of the Platformer(and the Rooster..I guess)

axumblade said:
Ugh. I am highly anticipating a Rayman Legends 2. Probably gonna release next year if we are lucky.

Definitely getting Odyssey, Cuphead, Knack 2 and A Hat In Time (depending reviews).

Ive already gotten Mighty Gunvolt, Crash, Yooka, and Snake Pass.

Doesnt the new Gunvolt come out this week too? Also the new Shantae came out earlier this year.

Thanks for contributing. Will update! 

Edited : I can't find the new Gunvolt and I think Shantae release in 2016?

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
axumblade said:
Ugh. I am highly anticipating a Rayman Legends 2. Probably gonna release next year if we are lucky.

Definitely getting Odyssey, Cuphead, Knack 2 and A Hat In Time (depending reviews).

Ive already gotten Mighty Gunvolt, Crash, Yooka, and Snake Pass.

Doesnt the new Gunvolt come out this week too? Also the new Shantae came out earlier this year.

Thanks for contributing. Will update! 

Edited : I can't find the new Gunvolt and I think Shantae release in 2016?

Shantae released in December 2016.

There's lots of indie games missing but you include snake pass and Yooka laylee?
Seriously though this year has been great for platformers. Can't wait for cupheads, Mario, and super lucky.
Will also get Knack 2 sometime when I eventually decide to get a PS4.

jason1637 said:
There's lots of indie games missing but you include snake pass and Yooka laylee?
Seriously though this year has been great for platformers. Can't wait for cupheads, Mario, and super lucky.

Lol, wut? This is most of the platformers coming out this year ... i'm not going to include every indie game ever

Also Snake Pass is great

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
jason1637 said:

Lol, wut? This is most of the platformers coming out this year ... i'm not going to include every indie game ever

Also Snake Pass is great

It feels like 10 new platformers come out like every week so I doubt those are most of the platformers. But they are the ones that get the most attention or marketing so I don't expect you to add every platformer that comes out this year that's why I wasn't serious when I made the first half of the post.

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
I dunno. 37% of your list is unreleased. And I wouldn't count Yooka-Laylee as a great platformer, or even a good one.

This year doesn't compare favorably, so far, to 2014, which had Tropical Freeze, Shovel Knight, Freedom Planet, etc. Or 2010, which had Super Mario Galaxy 2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Limbo, Kirby's Epic Yarn, etc.

I didn't say Yooka-Laylee was a great one, just added it to the list. Honestly I think the rest of the unreleased games could be "meh" (besides mario) and it would still be an amazing year. In fact a lot of those games are games I added because users wanted me to, they weren't really on my radar as strictly "platformers". 

Tropical Freeze is good, but you listed 3 games. I'm sure if I tried to get out a bunch of indie or fan games I could list a lot more too. Freedom Planet? Isn't that just a Sonic fan game though? I don't see why that's better than Sonic Mania. Shovel Knight was pretty unimpressive to me.

And again for 2010 you only listed three games. As a kid I remembered thinking Galaxy 2 and Country Returns were pretty boring, but that's just memory. But Tropical Freeze is amazing