By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Chun-Li's face changed in Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite

She still looks kinda strange tbqh but she already wen trough a massive improvement

Around the Network
Xxain said:
VGPolyglot said:

So guys, you probably remember the horror that was Frankenstein's monster that Capcom made out of my dear precious. However, it was brought to my attention (thanks b00moscone ) that her face was changed up a bit. Here are the differences:

Old

New

Now, she still doesn't look as good as she could be, but it definitely is an improvement! However, I stil don't understand why couldn't have just gone with how she looked in Street Fighter V, even with all the flaws that game had, one thing that they did do really well was Chun-Li's model!

Why is that not obvious? 

The CAPCOM characters have been given a more realistic makeover to be more consistent with Marvel cast. Chun Li's original face was to highlight her Chinese heritage, something that Anime design's ignore (anime rarely highlights diffrences in ethnic groups). For the first she LOOKED CHINESE! gaaasp. Its not intended, but the outcry to Chun-LI looking like a Chinese woman comes off as insensitive. 

Hmm? You can make someone look Chinese without making them look like that Although yeah, I guess it could be considered sexist maybe, that I'm putting so much focus into how she looks. But the thing is, I try to avoid doing that as much as possible for real people, and try to only do that to fictional characters, since they're not real and as a result can't have any feelings that get hurt.

VGPolyglot said:

So guys, you probably remember the horror that was Frankenstein's monster that Capcom made out of my dear precious. However, it was brought to my attention (thanks b00moscone ) that her face was changed up a bit. Here are the differences:

Old

New

Now, she still doesn't look as good as she could be, but it definitely is an improvement! However, I stil don't understand why couldn't have just gone with how she looked in Street Fighter V, even with all the flaws that game had, one thing that they did do really well was Chun-Li's model!

MvC:I frequently has four characters on screen at once. They couldn't bring over her SFV model. SFV character models have a lot more detail.

VGPolyglot said:
Xxain said:

Why is that not obvious? 

The CAPCOM characters have been given a more realistic makeover to be more consistent with Marvel cast. Chun Li's original face was to highlight her Chinese heritage, something that Anime design's ignore (anime rarely highlights diffrences in ethnic groups). For the first she LOOKED CHINESE! gaaasp. Its not intended, but the outcry to Chun-LI looking like a Chinese woman comes off as insensitive. 

Hmm? You can make someone look Chinese without making them look like that Although yeah, I guess it could be considered sexist maybe, that I'm putting so much focus into how she looks. But the thing is, I try to avoid doing that as much as possible for real people, and try to only do that to fictional characters, since they're not real and as a result can't have any feelings that get hurt.

Like what? I dont think anything is wrong with original face. I wasnt getting at Sexism but racially insensitive. People are bitching because she looks chinese!!!

Her latest model just has revert back to an anime character.

Around the Network
Xxain said:
VGPolyglot said:

Like what? I dont think anything is wrong with original face. I wasnt getting at Sexism but racially insensitive. People are bitching because she looks chinese!!!

There's not really one "Chinese" look. I can assure you that her looking Chinese is not the problem, I actually have an Asian fetish myself (not sure if I should have admitted that, but it's true )

Xxain said:
VGPolyglot said:

Old

New

Why is that not obvious? 

The CAPCOM characters have been given a more realistic makeover to be more consistent with Marvel cast. Chun Li's original face was to highlight her Chinese heritage, something that Anime design's ignore (anime rarely highlights diffrences in ethnic groups). For the first time she LOOKED CHINESE! gaaasp. Its not intended, but the outcry to Chun-LI looking like a Chinese woman comes off as insensitive. 

Here original face didn't look Chinese. It just looked bad. It looked like a baby dolls face. Apparently they only changed her face. Her character model on the whole needed to be updated. Her models proportions were/are awful.

VGPolyglot said:
Xxain said:

There's not really one "Chinese" look. I can assure you that her looking Chinese is not the problem, I actually have an Asian fetish myself (not sure if I should have admitted that, but it's true )

Not saying there is, just that the one's chosen should not be changed because of bitching... THAT would be sexism. CAPCOM is setting a bad standard right.

shikamaru317 said:
Xxain said:

Not saying there is, just that the one's chosen should not be changed because of bitching... THAT would be sexism. CAPCOM is setting a bad standard right.

From what I recall, Capcom admitted in an interview that they weren't happy with the old model either and had plans to change it even before the bitching started. 

I can't remember if it was before or after, but yeah, they did say that.

Darc Requiem said:
Xxain said:

Why is that not obvious? 

The CAPCOM characters have been given a more realistic makeover to be more consistent with Marvel cast. Chun Li's original face was to highlight her Chinese heritage, something that Anime design's ignore (anime rarely highlights diffrences in ethnic groups). For the first time she LOOKED CHINESE! gaaasp. Its not intended, but the outcry to Chun-LI looking like a Chinese woman comes off as insensitive. 

Here original face didn't look Chinese. It just looked bad. It looked like a baby dolls face. Apparently they only changed her face. Her character model on the whole needed to be updated. Her models proportions were/are awful.

Her original face clearly looked of asian origin. You dont have like it, but its clear they were playing up asian features. When has Chun-Li ever had normal proportions?