By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Splatoon 2 a mediocre sequel?

Is Splatoon 2 a mediocre sequel?

Yes very mediocre. 66 14.38%

It's ok but more could be done. 81 17.65%

It's fine. Updates will come. 83 18.08%

It's a good sequel. 148 32.24%

It's an amazing sequel. 81 17.65%

Total:459

It's worse, there's no split-screen mode so I didn't buy it.

Around the Network
Kai_Mao said:
Pok87 said:

Imo:

- campaign is new and much better

- they add great Salmon Run

- multiplayer is remastered

And the most important thing - game still evolve. Let's wait a year and then compare both games.

I think that's the thing that's clouding some people. Not to say they're wrong, but here's some perspective. We are most likely comparing the final version of the first game to the initial version of the second game. As I said before, the first game didn't even have the ranked modes, private battles, the slosher, the ink brush, the splattling, Mahi Mahi, etc. at launch. At least in the second game, all of them are available (ranked modes after level 10) at launch along with a new Salmon Run, new single player with ability to use multiple weapons, LAN play, new fixes to the multiplayer, and we just got the splat brella with more to come like the pirate ship stage.

Whether you care about that perspective, that's up to you. Nevertheless, that's how the development of Splatoon 1 came about post-launch.

Good point. I'll necro this thread in a few months so we can see how far Splatoon 2 has come along. 

To those who played the first one it can be considered that however the Wii U wasn't owned by a ton of people and to a huge opportunity pool this is new.

mZuzek said:
SvennoJ said:
It's worse, there's no split-screen mode so I didn't buy it.

Yeah, it's absurd that they removed the split-screen mode!

Wait, what?

They want you to get together with multiple switches for LAN sessions. 

Would it have been better if Nintendo instead came out with "Splatoon 1 Deluxe" for the Switch?

Around the Network

Never played the first but it looks interesting.

It depends. If you liked Splatoon, you'll def like this one. If you've never played it, then the sequel is for YOU. If you didn't like it, then you won't like
the sequel.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

mikrolik said:

Would it have been better if Nintendo instead came out with "Splatoon 1 Deluxe" for the Switch?

No, but it would have been better if Nintendo took an extra year to add more content to the sequel and craft it into something really special. Especially because it's a $60, marquee game that has a lot riding on it.

April 30th, 2011 - July 12th, 2018

librarian13579 said:
mikrolik said:

No, but it would have been better if Nintendo took an extra year to add more content to the sequel and craft it into something really special. Especially because it's a $60, marquee game that has a lot riding on it.

It depends, but considering this is the launch year of the Switch and Nintendo really needed to get the ball rolling quickly and throughout the year, Splatoon was definitely needed as a marquee title for this year. Otherwise, after ARMS, you would have to wait another month for the next big game for the Switch and Nintendo probably wanted momentum to keep going until Odyssey hits. As much as Mario has high popularity and could carry the mashup game with the Rabbids in September, Splatoon is the new hot commodity for Nintendo. Plus, they are making updates for a year akin to the first Splatoon so we'll see how much more content they could've added if it was delayed to next year.

Kai_Mao said:
librarian13579 said:

It depends, but considering this is the launch year of the Switch and Nintendo really needed to get the ball rolling quickly and throughout the year, Splatoon was definitely needed as a marquee title for this year. Otherwise, after ARMS, you would have to wait another month for the next big game for the Switch and Nintendo probably wanted momentum to keep going until Odyssey hits. As much as Mario has high popularity and could carry the mashup game with the Rabbids in September, Splatoon is the new hot commodity for Nintendo. Plus, they are making updates for a year akin to the first Splatoon so we'll see how much more content they could've added if it was delayed to next year.

If I were in charge of Nintendo, I would have developed Pokemon Sun / Moon as a Switch exclusive and have THAT as their Summer 2017 title, and I would have planned for a much greater allotment of launch Switch consoles.

April 30th, 2011 - July 12th, 2018